• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thread for discussing matters of policy

My school district has 176 schools and I have no idea how that would reduce segregation.

Also, when you’ve spent 70+ years building elementary, middle, and high schools, you’ve built schools tailored to those uses.

it would require a lot of busing of a lot of kids. But I don't think anyone has ever come up with a desegregation plan that doesn't involve busing kids around, because American cities are so segregated by neighborhood.

I disagree that elementary and middle schools are tailored for use. There is no difference between the physical structure of the elementary and middle schools that my kids attend. High schools are a little different as they have science lab rooms and maybe football stadiums etc. But what you would be talking about here is not converting high schools into elementary schools. You would be taking High School A and making it all 9th and 10th grade, and High School B and making it all 11th and 12th grade. Likewise with the elementary schools and middle schools, for the most part.

I think this nugget from the desegregation story should not be overlooked:
The district carries an “A” rating by the state and is ranked No. 3 overall. District officials attribute the success in part to the grade structure, under which principals only focus on the curriculum for a couple of grade levels, compared with the typical school with many grades.

Training and recruiting good principals is really hard. I have to imagine that this structure would make it easier for new principals to succeed and grow.

That idea could work in the cities of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, but the suburbs are different. Each township has their own school district.

I have owned different types of electric and natural gas ranges... the natural gas ranges are superior in every way. Interesting.

Oh noes!! The sacrifices you will have to make.

Last edited:
What's the tax savings? for example if someone invests 10M for 7 or 10 years how much have they lowered their tax burden?

It depends on the original basis that got them $10M. For example, if you invested $40M in stock (basis) and cash out at $50M, you realize a $10M gain. If you keep the gains money ($10M) in the funds seven years, then you get a 10% increase in the basis (thus increasing the basis to $44M and decreasing your realized capital gains for tax purposes to $6M). If you keep your money in the funds ten years then the basis increase is 15%. The tax savings in the ten-year example is the difference between the long-term capital gains tax rate on $10M and that on $4M.

On top of that, any gains from the OZ investment (the $10M) is untaxed. For example, if you cash out your equity on the OZ investment and it's worth $12M, you do not owe capital gains taxes on the $2M.

Further, you don't have to pay taxes until 2026 or until you leave the fund, so you get the time value of money benefit as well.

I had an electric stove for a bit -- it's definitely inferior, but not as much as I feared it would be.

cleaning glasstop stoves is a huge pain in the ass, even just droplets of boiled water. I wish we could have gas but those are few and far between in the mountains

923 fails to post Atlantic piece ripping public housing

was curious about to what you were referring here so I searched on the Atlantic webpage

this feels spot on for the Atlantic

PwkDR01.png

that they have chosen in 2019 to give a platform for an oped from the Manhattan Institute in the face of increasing support for progressive housing policies

I see after A/B testing headlines they've gone with "Public Housing Becomes the Latest Progressive Fantasy". Made me click! Anyway full of good old conservative chestnuts like:

This is residential life as managed by the equivalent of the Department of Motor Vehicles.

worth noting that quote was talking about previous attempts at large-scale public housing - not new/pending proposals

Back