• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thread for discussing matters of policy

which is in line with my main beef of the article: he's staking his argument on failed public housing from the period of urban renewal which went hand-in-hand with redlining, the interstates creating physical barriers in urban areas, and lots of other state-sponsored racism that helped contribute to the failure of public housing

it would require a lot of busing of a lot of kids. But I don't think anyone has ever come up with a desegregation plan that doesn't involve busing kids around, because American cities are so segregated by neighborhood.

I disagree that elementary and middle schools are tailored for use. There is no difference between the physical structure of the elementary and middle schools that my kids attend. High schools are a little different as they have science lab rooms and maybe football stadiums etc. But what you would be talking about here is not converting high schools into elementary schools. You would be taking High School A and making it all 9th and 10th grade, and High School B and making it all 11th and 12th grade. Likewise with the elementary schools and middle schools, for the most part.

I'll invite you to present at the next school board meeting.

The only take away that I had not considered before is the idea of demolishing neighborhoods and directing low-income people into a non-equity building scenarios .

is this not an ongoing problem ?

The only take away that I had not considered before is the idea of demolishing neighborhoods and directing low-income people into a non-equity building scenarios .

is this not an ongoing problem ?

right, just now it's the invisible hand doing the guiding instead of the post-War government

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/21/7818...stry-group-sues-berkeley-over-natural-gas-ban

This is kind of local and small-fry but interesting to me. If we're making the push away from natural gas and towards renewable energies, this is one externality I absolutely did not consider: cooking.

This is what happens when there is a complete failure of policy at the national and international level. Local bans on natural gas stoves is really a small impact compared to national energy policy, or transportation policy, or electric car infrastructure or something. Local governments end up picking around the minute edges of a global scale problem and some people disproportionately bear the burden while not actually having a very measurable effect.

Yo Juice and Strick, thoughts on this?

VAT Taxes:

1. Don't impact transfer pricing decisions because they are levied on any inbound US value.
2. Don't provide favorable taxation for foreign businesses doing limited business in the US like our current system.

We would need lower VAT rates than our competition since we have a sales tax at the state level to deal with, but overall I agree with the policy that we need a VAT.

a little outside my wheelhouse and I don't know anything about this specific piece of legislation

I did find a counter-argument from a former non-profit developer/manager: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerv...need-to-listen-to-landlords-too/#7261e1bc254d

like a lot of problems, I think evictions are the symptom of income inequality, though Desmond seems to disagree somewhat in his thread and he's obviously much better clued in

one thing I don't know that this legislation would address is eviction based on speculative activity where landlords/developers are looking to force people out to pave the way for luxury (re)development

I can only assume Strick hasn’t been on this thread yet or he is putting together an epic response. This is his wheelhouse.

It's a really impressive piece of legislation. Desmond definitely made this happen and it's a great example of how academia (sociology, in particular) can directly shape policy development. Along with different municipalities adopting rent stabilization ordinances (e.g., rent increase cap, anti-discrimination/harassment ordinances, and just cause ordinances) and "right to counsel" programs, this strikes me as a game changer.

I am a bit skeptical on the extent to which the federal government is willing to support nationwide data collection, emergency rental assistance, and legal assistance/a civil right to counsel in eviction proceedings. I'm skeptical because data collection throughout the US is really inconsistent as is and landlords are going to push back really hard against the idea of funding counsel for indigent tenants, but not landlords. Never mind the fact that landlords go to court with attorneys approximately 90% of the time, compared to less than 10% of tenants...

That said, I've been working in this field for about a decade at this point and never thought I would see something like this at the federal level. Bravo and bipartisan to boot!

What do you think, tilt?

It's a really impressive piece of legislation. Desmond definitely made this happen and it's a great example of how academia (sociology, in particular) can directly shape policy development. Along with different municipalities adopting rent stabilization ordinances (e.g., rent increase cap, anti-discrimination/harassment ordinances, and just cause ordinances) and "right to counsel" programs, this strikes me as a game changer.

I am a bit skeptical on the extent to which the federal government is willing to support nationwide data collection, emergency rental assistance, and legal assistance/a civil right to counsel in eviction proceedings. I'm skeptical because data collection throughout the US is really inconsistent as is and landlords are going to push back really hard against the idea of funding counsel for indigent tenants, but not landlords. Never mind the fact that landlords go to court with attorneys approximately 90% of the time, compared to less than 10% of tenants...

That said, I've been working in this field for about a decade at this point and never thought I would see something like this at the federal level. Bravo and bipartisan to boot!

What do you think, tilt?

Great to hear. It seemed pretty cool to me, but I know so little about this sorta thing that I thought i'd run it by you guys. I've started to pay a bit more attention to Michael Bennet, I think he's put together a couple pieces of legislation now that seem well targeted, practical, and likely to help a lot of people.

Here's a good short read. Basically pointing out that Silicon Valley is sucking up yuge amounts of capital and human talent to create lots of ad revenue and convenient delivery services, but nothing coming out of Silicon Valley recently has done much to make life better for most people in the actual physical world. The policy suggestion is that we need to find some way to redirect all the legions of pointy headed coders away from developing the next click-bait phone game and toward construction automation (to address housing crisis), biotech (to cure diseases and improve lives), and carbon capture (to capture carbon). https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/01/wheres-my-flying-car/603025/

Yeah. The lion's share of human capital and economic capital are being devoted to increasing economic capital for a very small number of people.

We really are living in a Second Gilded Age, imo. The main difference seems to be that while some of the working class at least tried to organize labor unions and protest for reforms during the First Gilded Age, in this one the white working classes are actually supporting the plutocrats.

We really are living in a Second Gilded Age, imo. The main difference seems to be that while some of the working class at least tried to organize labor unions and protest for reforms during the First Gilded Age, in this one the white working classes are actually supporting the plutocrats.

Which tracks with living in a Second Post-Reconstruction period as well.

Back to back posts this many days apart probably not a good sign for this thread, but anyway. There have been some previous discussion on here about targeted tax breaks by states to attract companies, and AOC was catching a lot of flack. Nice new paper out that basically confirms she was correct.

Paper
Slides

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it seems like the TL/DR takeaway is this:

"We do not find strong evidence that firm-specific tax incentives increase broader economic growth at the state and local level."

It turns out that a lot of these fears are just myths.

These findings remind me of Cristobal Young's research on millionaire tax flight (in op-ed form here). Spoiler: rhetoric doesn't match reality.

Back to back posts this many days apart probably not a good sign for this thread, but anyway. There have been some previous discussion on here about targeted tax breaks by states to attract companies, and AOC was catching a lot of flack. Nice new paper out that basically confirms she was correct.

Paper
Slides

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it seems like the TL/DR takeaway is this:

Thanks for posting. Don't give up hope, it has been the holiday season and Trump has been busy trying to blow up the Middle East.

Back