• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thread for discussing matters of policy

Makes much more sense to spend on education, parks, and infrastructure and encourage locals to start and grow their businesses.

Makes much more sense to spend on education, parks, and infrastructure and encourage locals to start and grow their businesses.

so you should expect the Republicans to go the opposite direction...

323.jpg

Not a wonkish deep dive, but a high level argument about the need for investment in the working class and rethinking our generational decisions to always privilege capital over labor. Some pretty tragic outcomes in left behind small towns all over the country, and our political leadership is clueless.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/opinion/sunday/deaths-despair-poverty.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

On a personal note, a classmate from my tiny Appalachian high school committed suicide last week. Left his wife and four kids. I don't know what was going on in his life, but these "deaths of despair" need to get more attention from policymakers.

more politics than policy, but the fact that the neither Democratic party nor the left has not reached those folks is a real miss

more politics than policy, but the fact that the neither Democratic party nor the left has not reached those folks is a real miss

It's tough for Dem policies to reach those folks when they're voting for Republicans to curb those policies.

The same democratic party that wants to take away their guns and let gays marry ?

Concerning that I'm actually a little annoyed I don't have time to watch this stream today:

https://www.hamiltonproject.org/eve...efficient_and_equitable_ways_to_raise_revenue

12:40 p.m. Roundtable discussion: Efficient and equitable ways to raise revenue
Timothy F. Geithner
President, Warburg Pincus

Robert E. Rubin
Former U.S. Treasury Secretary and Co-Chair Emeritus, Council on Foreign Relations

Lawrence H. Summers
Charles W. Eliot University Professor, Harvard University

Moderator: Penny Pritzker
Founder and Chairman, PSP Partners; 38th U.S. Secretary of Commerce

1:30 p.m. Roundtable discussion: From a financial transactions tax to a VAT: Policy options to raise revenue
William G. Gale
Arjay and Frances Fearing Miller Chair, Economic Studies, The Brookings Institution; Co-director, Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center

Catherine L. Mann
Global Chief Economist, Citi

Antonio Weiss
Research Fellow, Harvard Kennedy School

Moderator: Jay Shambaugh
Director, The Hamilton Project, Senior Fellow, Economic Studies, The Brookings Institution

2:20 p.m. Roundtable discussion: Increasing compliance and other options to raise revenue
Natasha Sarin
Assistant Professor of Law, University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School

Moderator: Kate Davidson
Reporter, The Wall Street Journal

2:45 p.m. Break 
3:00 p.m. Roundtable discussion: What is the optimal approach to taxing wealth?
David Kamin
Professor of Law, NYU School of Law

Greg Leiserson
Director of Tax Policy, Chief Economist, Washington Center for Equitable Growth

Michael R. Strain
Director, Economic Policy Studies; Resident Scholar, American Enterprise Institute

Ray D. Madoff
Professor, Boston College Law School

Moderator: Catherine Rampell
Opinion Columnist, The Washington Post

3:50 p.m. Roundtable discussion: What’s next for corporate tax reform?
Jason Furman
Professor of the Practice of Economic Policy, Harvard Kennedy School

Kimberly Clausing
Thormund A. Miller and Walter Mintz Professor of Economics, Reed College

Moderator: Mark J. Mazur
Robert C. Pozen Director, Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center

tilt, I know you've got a medical career, but do you think theres's any chance you'd get into politics someday?

A panel with Geithner and Summers doesn't seem like a good idea if you want to keep down your lunch.

tilt, I know you've got a medical career, but do you think theres's any chance you'd get into politics someday?

I'd like to think I might get involved some day, but I doubt it will ever be in a major way. I legit love my job, and come home every day thinking I made a real difference in people's lives, which is dope, and don't see myself taking a step back any time in the near future. I do sometimes think it would be cool to be helping on a larger scale in some way, but between my job and family, it's hard to see where that would fit, at least for now. You said you've gotten to know a lot of the local people, right? Are you doing anything formal?

nope, nothing formal

did a little campaign volunteering last winter for the municipal elections, but that's it

I think working for a councilperson in a chief of staff or similar role could be interesting

The same democratic party that wants to take away their guns and let gays marry ?

I think most people call gay married just married. Since we have decided that marriage is a governmental establishment. If you refer to the Inalienable Rights in the Constitution...

“all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights like life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." These rights cannot be bartered away, or given away, or taken away except in punishment of crime. Governments are instituted to “secure," not grant or create, these rights.

Therefore the government should not, legally, be able to take away the right of marriage to gays.

I know that breaks your two sizes too small heart.

I've gotten to know three local politicians a bit in the last few years. None of them good friends, but people who know my name and ask me for input when they see me. They make being an elected official seem rewarding but very time consuming. One is a city councilman who is a late 30s something single dad of a 13 year old. He's always attending some event in the community where it be forums that he organizes or just showing up to organizer meetings or grand openings and the like and he always brings his son with him. Real good guy. Just yesterday I ran into him at Starbucks talking to someone. Another is a school board member. She has two daughters in college and went from active PTA mom to school board. She can tell you everything you need to know about any school in one of the largest school districts in the country. And she's willing to personally meet with constituents. She met with me and my wife and others a few times. I ran into her meeting with a neighborhood activist once. The other is the rep for our state legislature. She defeated the long time Republican in 2018 as a first time candidate. Single black woman lawyer in her 30s. Very impressive background. Always really nice. She did a meet and greet at the local library and we talked about education for an hour.

I think most people call gay married just married. Since we have decided that marriage is a governmental establishment. If you refer to the Inalienable Rights in the Constitution...

“all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights like life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." These rights cannot be bartered away, or given away, or taken away except in punishment of crime. Governments are instituted to “secure," not grant or create, these rights.

Therefore the government should not, legally, be able to take away the right of marriage to gays.

Well, that’s why we have to make being gay illegal.

I've been meeting several straight couples who have decided to get gay married now that it's legal, nay, encouraged

You miss my point. The democratic party isn't going to crack the group of people in "small towns all over the country" who hate gays and love guns.

Well this is a bummer

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3508422

In this study, we assess the impact of legalization of recreational marijuana in Colorado on cigarette sales using retail scanner data from A.C. Nielsen. We use multiple methods - difference-in-difference (DID) model as well as synthetic control methodology - to show that marijuana and cigarettes are complements and legalizing recreational marijuana is associated with an increase in cigarette consumption by about 4-7%.

Back