• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake going to Orange Bowl?

socaldeac

Reaction score
What has to unfold for Wake to go to the Orange Bowl?

Wake beats Syracuse
UVA beats VA Tech
Clemson beats UVA
If VA Tech beats UVA, result against Clemson does not matter, and Wake does not go to OB, and VA tech does

What criteria matters in determining ACC team going?

Wake’s strength of schedule currently stronger than both UVA and VA Tech.
Miami losing does not help UVA and VA tech’s strength of schedule
Wake could make the argument 7-3 against ACC teams

Can anyone explain?

VPI winning today really hurt. Hard to see Wake being ahead of the 9-4 Coastal champ in the rankings IMO. I think winner of the commonwealth cup goes.

Criteria is 1) is a second ACC team ranked? If so they go to the Orange Bowl and then 2) if not ACC and Orange Bowl work together to select a representative.

VPI winning today really hurt. Hard to see Wake being ahead of the 9-4 Coastal champ in the rankings IMO. I think winner of the commonwealth cup goes.

TITCR.

Wake would need to be ranked and the Coastal winner not ranked for Wake to go. Especially if VaTech wins the Coastal. Wake maxed out attendance with about 30,00 at the Orange Bowl. VaTech brings the possibility of 40K.

TITCR.

Wake would need to be ranked and the Coastal winner not ranked for Wake to go. Especially if VaTech wins the Coastal. Wake maxed out attendance with about 30,00 at the Orange Bowl. VaTech brings the possibility of 40K.

If UVA wins next week, we win and there are lots of upsets in the Top 25 could we be ranked...

I posted this on the other thread - but it seems there is a really good chance that 3 to 5 teams in the current 17-25 range lose during the next few weeks, so it is not impossible that a 9-3 Wake team sneaks into the top 25. I'm guessing that VT gets into the top 25 this week but would a loss to UVa knock them out for good? If they beat UVa, I imagine they would move up a little further - but what would a blowout loss to Clemson do? A close loss and maybe they stick. Ultimately a lot of this is going to come down to what happens to other teams in the current 17 to 30 range. And obviously Wake has to beat Syracuse. And perhaps by a fair amount.

If UVA wins next week, we win and there are lots of upsets in the Top 25 could we be ranked...

I mean we could be ranked but I have a feeling a 9-3 Wake with a best win over UNC (?) probably isn’t. And even if we are the winner of UVA/VPI definitely will be. Recent history shows the coastal team barely drops for a loss in the title game so I think all in all we need a massive blowout and some luck or we miss out.

The winner of the UVA -VPI game will be ranked by the selection committee to put this issue to rest. The 9-3/6-2 Coastal Division champion will be one of ten teams in the Power 5 conferences playing for a conference championship. The talking will be over, the players will be playing. Quit dreaming, that weekend is when decisions are made.

Not happening. Louisville and Va Tech losses very costly. No margin for error with MSD.

Yep. VT took us to the woodshed at Lane Stadium.

Turns out that home loss to Lewisville where we clearly recovered the last onside kick cost us an OB bid. :mad:

It's not going to happen. Gonna be the Coastal winner or ND. If we'd finished with 1 loss, yes. It's ok imo. This team has 8 wins with a chance to get 10 with a win at Syracuse and a fourth straight bowl victory. That is unbelievable under any circumstances. Great Job ! Go Deacs !

I’m surprised fusion is not concerned about Wake possibly missing out on a bowl even with 8 wins.

I’m surprised fusion is not concerned about Wake possibly missing out on a bowl even with 8 wins.

I’m not surprised that fusion has no idea how the selection process works and thinks ND can take the spot

Remember when Fusiondad told us we were crazy to even contemplate the possibility of wake winning ten games in the regular season and it's looking very possible that that might have come down to one questionable onsides kick call?

Pepperidge farms remembers

Virginia defeating VT certainly helps. Deacs need to take care of business in the Carrier Dome!

Even if Virginia gets stomped by Clemson and wake has impressive win against cuse, I don’t see how wake could get into orange bowl. I wish I was wrong.

Back