• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Special Teams - Substantive discussion

I watched the two kickoffs on the condensed replay and noticed the same thing. I didn’t play high school football and don’t know anything about kick coverage schemes, but their fast returner was going about 22mph (according to Cutcliffe) at the 20 while our guys were looking for a blocker to hit. When our focus got on the returner, it was too late. Our guys took bad angles because he was flying past them at high speed and he wasn’t touched on either return. If we are this bad, we need to keep a couple of safeties back to protect against a TD return. The sky kick looks like our only option for Syracuse. Lineburg is a good Va area recruiter so it would hurt to lose him over this crap. Shier was a good recruiter as well. Btw, did he land on his feet?

The Condensed Replay also highlighted several cheap shots by weak ass Duke during the game.

- Carney held down after a run; he basically kicked the guy off of him.
- Second most eggregious was Newman running, scoring, about 1 yard in the end zone, and K Walker III is running at the 5 yard line to go celebrate with Newman...and the Duke DE just decks K Walker III.

Condensed replay did not show the most obvious leg/knee twist on Newman - FU Cutcliffe. Lose again next year to WFU.

Hope I'm wrong but several on kick coverage look like they are a bit fearful of the contact. Kick cover guys need to be a bit vicious and violent. That's why the NCAA has tried to reduce the violence on kicks and punts. But if you're going to play special teams well you can't be afraid of pain.

The Condensed Replay also highlighted several cheap shots by weak ass Duke during the game.

- Second most eggregious was Newman running, scoring, about 1 yard in the end zone, and K Walker III is running at the 5 yard line to go celebrate with Newman...and the Duke DE just decks K Walker III.

Condensed replay did not show the most obvious leg/knee twist on Newman - FU Cutcliffe. Lose again next year to WFU.

At the 6:22 Minute Mark of the Second Quarter when Hinton returns that punt... no.42 Heyward walks right over top of Hinton despite conceding with 6 guys bearing down on him. Hinton turns and says something to him. I guess this type of shit along with that Duke staffer acting a fool are just normal things that Cutcliffe practices within his program.

Hope I'm wrong but several on kick coverage look like they are a bit fearful of the contact. Kick cover guys need to be a bit vicious and violent. That's why the NCAA has tried to reduce the violence on kicks and punts. But if you're going to play special teams well you can't be afraid of pain.

Need to find 9 more Nassirs!

Connor’s twitter shows signal from sideline to #49 to lay down after he is walking fine several seconds after a play. He walked normally to sideline and returned 2 plays later. We need to document this crap and send to the ACC. Moreover, #49 tried to hurt Newman by twisting his knee while both were laying on the ground after a play.

Clawson said today the special teams problems were all his fault for playing too many freshmen. Love how he takes responsibility just wish our doofus basketball coach would do the same.

Great leadership, Clawson is the best. He will either fix it, 1) With more vets as he mentioned too many freshmen were out there or 2) he is taking the arrows for a coach that will be replaced this offseason.

Clawson is really a great fit for Wake.

Great leadership, Clawson is the best. He will either fix it, 1) With more vets as he mentioned too many freshmen were out there or 2) he is taking the arrows for a coach that will be replaced this offseason.

Clawson is really a great fit for Wake.
Clawson said it wasn’t the fault of the ST coach. It was his decision to play too many inexperienced guys on KO coverage. When he fired the DC last year, he talked about not fitting runs and getting lined up. So he probably wasn’t covering for the ST coach.

Agree that it’s refreshing to see a coach take responsibility and shoot straight with the media. He tells it like it is. He might not be a warm a cuddly players coach like Grobe, but he’s one hell of a college football coach.

I looked it up. In 2018 Wake used two kickers to handle kickoffs. In total, Darren Ford and Eric Osteen had 40% (33 of 83) kickoffs go for touch backs. Of all the kickoffs, 55% (46 of 83) where returned. More telling, Wake gave up 1097 return yards, an average of 24 yards per return. Wake ranked second from the bottom last year in the ACC in total yardage surrendered on kickoff returns and fourth from the bottom in yards per return.

This year, Wake has had 44% returned (31 kickoffs out of 71 returned) and the average return yardage per return is 27 yards. If you take out the two returns for touchdowns the other night, the yards per return is 23 yards, which is basically the same as last year. So, while the return percentage is up, the yards per return is basically the same (excluding the two kickoffs for touchdowns against Duke). The touch back percentage is down this year at 23% (16 of 71 kickoffs), but returns are down as well. I believe the return teams have called more fair catches this year which would indicate they are fair catching the ball more and returning the ball less.

For the kickoffs on Saturday night, the first kick (kicker was Murphy, not Sciba) was only returned 13 or 14 yards (kicked to the 4 yard line with good height). On this kickoff, the coverage team got off their blocks to make the tackle and it appeared to be well covered when I went back and watched the game. In the two kickoffs returned for touchdowns, the kickoffs seemed to be just as high and went even further (to the two yard line), but the coverage team (as pointed out by others earlier) did not get off their blocks and the Duke returner was untouched on both returns - he did not even have to slow down. I think the issue had less to do with the kicker and more to do with coverage guys who did not get off their blocks. If the coverage team handles the blocks like they did on the first kickoff, I doubt either kickoff gets returned for big yardage.

Good analysis. Number 30 Jacquez Williams, clearly was held on the second TD return.

Also in the second TD return we had 1 guy fly in way too fast, dive and miss early and another one of our guys panicked and just did not tackle the returner, even though he had a great angle.

Because his teammate flew in warp speed, dived and missed, and almost took out his ACL. There was no breaking down or whatever they call it.

Back