Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334 LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 672

Thread: KP Report - Wooden Legacy Tourney - Arizona 9 pm Sunday ESPN (all times Eastern)

  1. #601
    THE quintessential dwarf palmab03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    44,676
    Can someone link discussion re: suspensions?
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

  2. #602
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybone View Post
    And BTW, 3, 2, 1 until this becomes a momentary national story. Also not a good look for a University that still suffers from its reputation as being a stuffy, snooty, private institution that specializes in educating upper class white people, ideally boys who can handle their liquor and do fucked up off their asses really elitely (i.e., in new penny loafers and khakis).
    Only jaybone could take something done by two black kids and make it a woke diatribe about bad white man.

  3. #603
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    69,301
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwill24 View Post
    Only jaybone could take something done by two black kids and make it a woke diatribe about bad white man.
    He thinks it's woke to be up to to take a piss at 3 AM.

  4. #604
    Quote Originally Posted by SC DEAC View Post
    Sarr looks like a completely different player this year. Amazing what a player can do if the coach can actually keep them in campus until their Junior and senior year
    He was terrible until this tournament, and then the light seemed to go on. Let's see how long it lasts.

    Edit: I stand corrected - he was terrible in 3 games but has been good in 5. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6/olivier-sarr
    Last edited by Buttermaker; 12-02-2019 at 04:49 PM.

  5. #605
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    69,301
    Think of how good Sarr's numbers would be if our PG would pass him the ball after a PnR into a totally open lane.

  6. #606
    Scooter Banks
    jaybone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    8,243
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwill24 View Post
    Only jaybone could take something done by two black kids and make it a woke diatribe about bad white man.
    Huh? I'm just saying that is the Wake rep. I went to a pretty good but crazy play a few weeks ago, Slave Play. It'll win a Tony, probably a few Tonys. In the middle of the play, there is a Wake slam that essentially parrots our southern sophisticated frat boy reputation - a rep I believe is fairly dated btw. But faggot callouts, regardless of whether said by a white dude, black dude, black canadian dude (check), or a biracial dude (check), aren't a good look.

    I expect it to explode on some sports talkie within a day or two after people get back to work and realize their is outrage to be ginned up from this. And despite the fact that it will be ginned up and Manning probably will handle it the right way, it is still not a good look. And I am not embarrassed to say I would rather our student athletes get in trouble taking X or smoking weed outside the Kit Kat Club than screaming homophobic slurs at some poor actor in a Buzz Lightyear costume. There is killing someone in the street of New York bad and then this is just slightly less worse. Fucking Disneyland. Goddamn it. It somehow has the ability to both hurt the penny loafer set as well as our street cred when it comes to recruiting. Let's call it the Buzz Lightyear affect.
    Last edited by jaybone; 12-02-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    le bone

  7. #607
    Team video from Disney:


  8. #608
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    He was terrible until this tournament, and then the light seemed to go on. Let's see how long it lasts.

    Edit: I stand corrected - he was terrible in 3 games but has been good in 5. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6/olivier-sarr
    He is still a strange big man. He has a nice jumper but cannot make a contested layup if his life depends on it. He did start dunking the ball more in the tournament which was good to see.
    I don't think he is a post option on offense so I don't know how paint touches will help.

  9. #609
    Off of a rebound or missed shot, Sarr still has the reflex to take the ball low for one dribble to set himself rather than simply keep the ball above his head and just put the ball up. Often leads to strips or allows the defense to get back into position to defend. Big men got to keep the ball above your head. Much harder to strip, and if the defense tries, its often a foul.

  10. #610
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwill24 View Post
    Only jaybone could take something done by two black kids and make it a woke diatribe about bad white man.
    You must not read the Tunnels.

  11. #611
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Off of a rebound or missed shot, Sarr still has the reflex to take the ball low for one dribble to set himself rather than simply keep the ball above his head and just put the ball up. Often leads to strips or allows the defense to get back into position to defend. Big men got to keep the ball above your head. Much harder to strip, and if the defense tries, its often a foul.
    This is Big Man 101 and yet every year someone has to make this observation about one of our guys. It's particularly frustrating when we're coached by a former big man.

  12. #612
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Think of how good Sarr's numbers would be if our PG would pass him the ball after a PnR into a totally open lane.
    Think how great Sarr could be if he made 20% of his lay ups.
    🤮🤣🧱🧱

  13. #613
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybone View Post

    There is killing someone in the street of New York bad and then this is just slightly less worse.
    No doubt it is a bad look and embarrassing but it is "a lot less worse" than killing a drunk guy in the street.

    Perspective please.

  14. #614
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    The game was not as close as the score might indicate. The Deacs played well the first ten minutes. Hitting shots helps. After that Arizona took control and never let go. I can't fault the energy displayed by the team and their defense has improved. It's not good but it is better.

    Sarr is playing well. If he continues to play this well the team will be more competitive. Brown's performance was solid despite lingering physical limitations. Massoud's offense is good enough to put him in the game for the final minute when the team needs points. He played 4 of the preceding 39 minutes while the team was shooting 32%. This is typical of Manning.

    I feel bad for the players. They all have limitations but they show effort, energy and they haven't quit. The coaching leaves a lot to be desired and the latitude given Brandon is obvious and unwarranted. Those of you concerned that the team might improve enough to retain Manning need not be concerned. It seems to be a matter of time before this team reacts like those that preceded them.
    I'm not sure what game you were watching. "Coaching" had no effect on all the bricks laid by the players in the second half. When was anybody open where Childress didn't find them? Our guys really don't have the offensive skills to compete at a high level. Save a couple threes by Childress in the second half nobody made much at all except free throws. Blaming Childress for the obvious lack of talent around him is ludicrous. Our guys are smaller or skinnier, or both, compared to teams like Arizona. To be fair, we were simply a weaker team and the coaching and grit of the players kind of kept them in til the end. It wasn't a turnaround game for our program, but it wasn't the Danny haters debacle you're suggesting.

  15. #615
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybone View Post
    And BTW, 3, 2, 1 until this becomes a momentary national story. Also not a good look for a University that still suffers from its reputation as being a stuffy, snooty, private institution that specializes in educating upper class white people, ideally boys who can handle their liquor and do fucked up off their asses really elitely (i.e., in new penny loafers and khakis).
    Probably doubtful the Wake story blows up nationally with this going on at the exact same time.

    https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...03198307897350

  16. #616
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Off of a rebound or missed shot, Sarr still has the reflex to take the ball low for one dribble to set himself rather than simply keep the ball above his head and just put the ball up. Often leads to strips or allows the defense to get back into position to defend. Big men got to keep the ball above your head. Much harder to strip, and if the defense tries, its often a foul.
    You're 110% right and I've been pointing this out all season except it's not just on rebounds and missed shots. It's most infuriating and is frequent on high quality entry passes to the post which many times are delivered at head level or higher and he reflexively brings down to this waist or knees.

  17. #617
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusiondad10 View Post
    I'm not sure what game you were watching. "Coaching" had no effect on all the bricks laid by the players in the second half. When was anybody open where Childress didn't find them? Our guys really don't have the offensive skills to compete at a high level. Save a couple threes by Childress in the second half nobody made much at all except free throws. Blaming Childress for the obvious lack of talent around him is ludicrous. Our guys are smaller or skinnier, or both, compared to teams like Arizona. To be fair, we were simply a weaker team and the coaching and grit of the players kind of kept them in til the end. It wasn't a turnaround game for our program, but it wasn't the Danny haters debacle you're suggesting.
    Childress taking every freaking shot over the last 5 minutes (on a night where he couldn’t throw it in the ocean) is worthy of some blame. The coach who gave him the green light to do it is worthy of some blame. Chill is hitting 27% from three this year. White is at 44%. Johnson shoots 42%. Let them chuck one up occasionally.

  18. #618
    Quote Originally Posted by Complacent Deac View Post
    Oh Daniel. Good Daniel.

    What will you do to Cover Your Butt again?

    And we played back-to-back, so on our day off to refresh our legs/rest/prepare, we go STAND in line for what 2, 3, 4 hours?

    When I think get ready for the big game, our only ESPN game ALL YEAR (correct?, who cares?), and we...go goof off and wait in long lines at Disneyland, with which Assistant Coach in charge? You know YOU need to keep an eye on your Assistants already.

    Well done, Daniel.
    What 18-20 year old can't be on their feet after two games? Maybe that's whey there were cutting the line they needed to get off their feet?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybone View Post
    Turnover-wise, Manning hasn't had a bad year at all. Surprise surprise, we returned everybody except Hoard, who is now on NBA roster (averaging 1.2 minutes per game, would be better off in the G-league).

    The real tragedy here is that the team is in LA for a week, and they go to fucking Disneyland like they are 12. Hit up the fucking Getty Museum or any number of awesome museums in downtown LA. Fucking Disneyland. Pathetic. I understand the Lego museum is a few 100 miles away as well. Road trip!
    Eh, kids (even older kids) that have never been to Disney probably would check it out. I worked with one of the theme park companies and I saw peers that had 6 figure salaries get excited to to go to the parks on occasion. And they were really excited when they got in for free. Now of the places to do something stupid, I'd agree this was a pretty dumb choice.

  19. #619
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusiondad10 View Post
    I'm not sure what game you were watching. "Coaching" had no effect on all the bricks laid by the players in the second half. When was anybody open where Childress didn't find them? Our guys really don't have the offensive skills to compete at a high level. Save a couple threes by Childress in the second half nobody made much at all except free throws. Blaming Childress for the obvious lack of talent around him is ludicrous. Our guys are smaller or skinnier, or both, compared to teams like Arizona. To be fair, we were simply a weaker team and the coaching and grit of the players kind of kept them in til the end. It wasn't a turnaround game for our program, but it wasn't the Danny haters debacle you're suggesting.
    Feel better?

    You used the word debacle. I stated it was not as close as the score might indicate. The AD version was "Deacs edged". At 17:20 in the second half Arizona took a 10 point lead. They would maintain a double digit lead until 6:17 remained when Sarr hit two free throws to trim the lead to nine. Arizona's largest lead during that 11 minute span reached 15 points on two occasions. That is considered a strong working lead by any coach. They never relinquished the lead.

    Over the final 6:17 the Deacs took 10 shots from the field and made four. They were 2-4 from the line. Brandon was 2-7 from the field. The only assisted shot (by White) was a open three. Good shot. The rest were Brandon with his head down going against the Arizona team. The rest of the team went 2-3 from the field (both assisted) and 2-4 from the line. That description might be considered smart basketball down the stretch where you come from, but it goes by a different description where I come from. Brandon is a weapon when he's hot. The problem is he keeps shooting when he's not. There is a reason the Deacs have lost 20 games the past two years. That is one of the many reasons. I mentioned it for the first time in my prior post. I won't mention it again.

  20. #620
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    Feel better?

    You used the word debacle. I stated it was not as close as the score might indicate. The AD version was "Deacs edged". At 17:20 in the second half Arizona took a 10 point lead. They would maintain a double digit lead until 6:17 remained when Sarr hit two free throws to trim the lead to nine. Arizona's largest lead during that 11 minute span reached 15 points on two occasions. That is considered a strong working lead by any coach. They never relinquished the lead.

    Over the final 6:17 the Deacs took 10 shots from the field and made four. They were 2-4 from the line. Brandon was 2-7 from the field. The only assisted shot (by White) was a open three. Good shot. The rest were Brandon with his head down going against the Arizona team. The rest of the team went 2-3 from the field (both assisted) and 2-4 from the line. That description might be considered smart basketball down the stretch where you come from, but it goes by a different description where I come from. Brandon is a weapon when he's hot. The problem is he keeps shooting when he's not. There is a reason the Deacs have lost 20 games the past two years. That is one of the many reasons. I mentioned it for the first time in my prior post. I won't mention it again.
    Mention anything you want to Blackjack, because your posts are right on the money almost all of the time!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •