• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Wooden Legacy Tourney - Arizona 9 pm Sunday ESPN (all times Eastern)

And BTW, 3, 2, 1 until this becomes a momentary national story. Also not a good look for a University that still suffers from its reputation as being a stuffy, snooty, private institution that specializes in educating upper class white people, ideally boys who can handle their liquor and do fucked up off their asses really elitely (i.e., in new penny loafers and khakis).

Only jaybone could take something done by two black kids and make it a woke diatribe about bad white man.

Last edited:
Think of how good Sarr's numbers would be if our PG would pass him the ball after a PnR into a totally open lane.

Only jaybone could take something done by two black kids and make it a woke diatribe about bad white man.

Huh? I'm just saying that is the Wake rep. I went to a pretty good but crazy play a few weeks ago, Slave Play. It'll win a Tony, probably a few Tonys. In the middle of the play, there is a Wake slam that essentially parrots our southern sophisticated frat boy reputation - a rep I believe is fairly dated btw. But faggot callouts, regardless of whether said by a white dude, black dude, black canadian dude (check), or a biracial dude (check), aren't a good look.

I expect it to explode on some sports talkie within a day or two after people get back to work and realize their is outrage to be ginned up from this. And despite the fact that it will be ginned up and Manning probably will handle it the right way, it is still not a good look. And I am not embarrassed to say I would rather our student athletes get in trouble taking X or smoking weed outside the Kit Kat Club than screaming homophobic slurs at some poor actor in a Buzz Lightyear costume. There is killing someone in the street of New York bad and then this is just slightly less worse. Fucking Disneyland. Goddamn it. It somehow has the ability to both hurt the penny loafer set as well as our street cred when it comes to recruiting. Let's call it the Buzz Lightyear affect.

Last edited:
He was terrible until this tournament, and then the light seemed to go on. Let's see how long it lasts.

Edit: I stand corrected - he was terrible in 3 games but has been good in 5. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4278046/olivier-sarr

He is still a strange big man. He has a nice jumper but cannot make a contested layup if his life depends on it. He did start dunking the ball more in the tournament which was good to see.
I don't think he is a post option on offense so I don't know how paint touches will help.

Off of a rebound or missed shot, Sarr still has the reflex to take the ball low for one dribble to set himself rather than simply keep the ball above his head and just put the ball up. Often leads to strips or allows the defense to get back into position to defend. Big men got to keep the ball above your head. Much harder to strip, and if the defense tries, its often a foul.

Off of a rebound or missed shot, Sarr still has the reflex to take the ball low for one dribble to set himself rather than simply keep the ball above his head and just put the ball up. Often leads to strips or allows the defense to get back into position to defend. Big men got to keep the ball above your head. Much harder to strip, and if the defense tries, its often a foul.

This is Big Man 101 and yet every year someone has to make this observation about one of our guys. It's particularly frustrating when we're coached by a former big man.

Think of how good Sarr's numbers would be if our PG would pass him the ball after a PnR into a totally open lane.
Think how great Sarr could be if he made 20% of his lay ups.
🤮🤣🧱🧱

There is killing someone in the street of New York bad and then this is just slightly less worse.

No doubt it is a bad look and embarrassing but it is "a lot less worse" than killing a drunk guy in the street.

Perspective please.

The game was not as close as the score might indicate. The Deacs played well the first ten minutes. Hitting shots helps. After that Arizona took control and never let go. I can't fault the energy displayed by the team and their defense has improved. It's not good but it is better.

Sarr is playing well. If he continues to play this well the team will be more competitive. Brown's performance was solid despite lingering physical limitations. Massoud's offense is good enough to put him in the game for the final minute when the team needs points. He played 4 of the preceding 39 minutes while the team was shooting 32%. This is typical of Manning.

I feel bad for the players. They all have limitations but they show effort, energy and they haven't quit. The coaching leaves a lot to be desired and the latitude given Brandon is obvious and unwarranted. Those of you concerned that the team might improve enough to retain Manning need not be concerned. It seems to be a matter of time before this team reacts like those that preceded them.

I'm not sure what game you were watching. "Coaching" had no effect on all the bricks laid by the players in the second half. When was anybody open where Childress didn't find them? Our guys really don't have the offensive skills to compete at a high level. Save a couple threes by Childress in the second half nobody made much at all except free throws. Blaming Childress for the obvious lack of talent around him is ludicrous. Our guys are smaller or skinnier, or both, compared to teams like Arizona. To be fair, we were simply a weaker team and the coaching and grit of the players kind of kept them in til the end. It wasn't a turnaround game for our program, but it wasn't the Danny haters debacle you're suggesting.

And BTW, 3, 2, 1 until this becomes a momentary national story. Also not a good look for a University that still suffers from its reputation as being a stuffy, snooty, private institution that specializes in educating upper class white people, ideally boys who can handle their liquor and do fucked up off their asses really elitely (i.e., in new penny loafers and khakis).

Probably doubtful the Wake story blows up nationally with this going on at the exact same time.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1201703198307897350

You're 110% right and I've been pointing this out all season except it's not just on rebounds and missed shots. It's most infuriating and is frequent on high quality entry passes to the post which many times are delivered at head level or higher and he reflexively brings down to this waist or knees.

I'm not sure what game you were watching. "Coaching" had no effect on all the bricks laid by the players in the second half. When was anybody open where Childress didn't find them? Our guys really don't have the offensive skills to compete at a high level. Save a couple threes by Childress in the second half nobody made much at all except free throws. Blaming Childress for the obvious lack of talent around him is ludicrous. Our guys are smaller or skinnier, or both, compared to teams like Arizona. To be fair, we were simply a weaker team and the coaching and grit of the players kind of kept them in til the end. It wasn't a turnaround game for our program, but it wasn't the Danny haters debacle you're suggesting.
Childress taking every freaking shot over the last 5 minutes (on a night where he couldn’t throw it in the ocean) is worthy of some blame. The coach who gave him the green light to do it is worthy of some blame. Chill is hitting 27% from three this year. White is at 44%. Johnson shoots 42%. Let them chuck one up occasionally.

Oh Daniel. Good Daniel.

What will you do to Cover Your Butt again?

And we played back-to-back, so on our day off to refresh our legs/rest/prepare, we go STAND in line for what 2, 3, 4 hours?

When I think get ready for the big game, our only ESPN game ALL YEAR (correct?, who cares?), and we...go goof off and wait in long lines at Disneyland, with which Assistant Coach in charge? You know YOU need to keep an eye on your Assistants already.

Well done, Daniel.

What 18-20 year old can't be on their feet after two games? Maybe that's whey there were cutting the line they needed to get off their feet?

Turnover-wise, Manning hasn't had a bad year at all. Surprise surprise, we returned everybody except Hoard, who is now on NBA roster (averaging 1.2 minutes per game, would be better off in the G-league).

The real tragedy here is that the team is in LA for a week, and they go to fucking Disneyland like they are 12. Hit up the fucking Getty Museum or any number of awesome museums in downtown LA. Fucking Disneyland. Pathetic. I understand the Lego museum is a few 100 miles away as well. Road trip!

Eh, kids (even older kids) that have never been to Disney probably would check it out. I worked with one of the theme park companies and I saw peers that had 6 figure salaries get excited to to go to the parks on occasion. And they were really excited when they got in for free. Now of the places to do something stupid, I'd agree this was a pretty dumb choice.

Feel better?

You used the word debacle. I stated it was not as close as the score might indicate. The AD version was "Deacs edged". At 17:20 in the second half Arizona took a 10 point lead. They would maintain a double digit lead until 6:17 remained when Sarr hit two free throws to trim the lead to nine. Arizona's largest lead during that 11 minute span reached 15 points on two occasions. That is considered a strong working lead by any coach. They never relinquished the lead.

Over the final 6:17 the Deacs took 10 shots from the field and made four. They were 2-4 from the line. Brandon was 2-7 from the field. The only assisted shot (by White) was a open three. Good shot. The rest were Brandon with his head down going against the Arizona team. The rest of the team went 2-3 from the field (both assisted) and 2-4 from the line. That description might be considered smart basketball down the stretch where you come from, but it goes by a different description where I come from. Brandon is a weapon when he's hot. The problem is he keeps shooting when he's not. There is a reason the Deacs have lost 20 games the past two years. That is one of the many reasons. I mentioned it for the first time in my prior post. I won't mention it again.

Feel better?

You used the word debacle. I stated it was not as close as the score might indicate. The AD version was "Deacs edged". At 17:20 in the second half Arizona took a 10 point lead. They would maintain a double digit lead until 6:17 remained when Sarr hit two free throws to trim the lead to nine. Arizona's largest lead during that 11 minute span reached 15 points on two occasions. That is considered a strong working lead by any coach. They never relinquished the lead.

Over the final 6:17 the Deacs took 10 shots from the field and made four. They were 2-4 from the line. Brandon was 2-7 from the field. The only assisted shot (by White) was a open three. Good shot. The rest were Brandon with his head down going against the Arizona team. The rest of the team went 2-3 from the field (both assisted) and 2-4 from the line. That description might be considered smart basketball down the stretch where you come from, but it goes by a different description where I come from. Brandon is a weapon when he's hot. The problem is he keeps shooting when he's not. There is a reason the Deacs have lost 20 games the past two years. That is one of the many reasons. I mentioned it for the first time in my prior post. I won't mention it again.

Mention anything you want to Blackjack, because your posts are right on the money almost all of the time!

Back