• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBS suspended for 3 games for violation of team rules- Nonsubstantive discussion

Y'all are being dumb. It's not a nonsensical or outdated policy.

I'd agree with you if you argued that it's a nonsensical, outdated law.

I've made several arguments that lay out very clearly why our policy makes sense (we test based on NCAA rules, it's detrimental to performance) and it's not outdated (It's the current federal law).

But none of that is the point. You can argue all you want that the policy is dumb. But the fact is that it's team policy. Players get the rules printed out on colorful paper at the beginning of the season, and an assistant AD comes in and explains the rules and consequences to the team while they eat their one slice of pizza per freshman.

It's not that fucking hard to lay off the smoking for three months during the season. CBS knew the rules, and he let himself and the team down.

Alcohol is also detrimental to performance and against the law for those underage. What’s that colorful piece of paper say about booze?

Alcohol is also detrimental to performance and against the law for those underage. What’s that colorful piece of paper say about booze?

That underage drinking is against the law and if you do it and get caught, there will be consequences. Coaches like some latitude so I doubt they spell out 1st violation =x, then second =y. Be a great teammate adding not subtracting from the collective team achievements and glory. Go Deacs.

Idk, it's at my parents' house at the moment.

But if you get caught for underage drinking on a piss test you've got bigger problems than being a bad teammate.

This is density of the highest degree. Both alcohol and marijuana are detrimental to athletic performance, but they are not equal in the eyes of the law or equally testable after the fact.

Again, you're not addressing what's actually important.

Idk, it's at my parents' house at the moment.

But if you get caught for underage drinking on a piss test you've got bigger problems than being a bad teammate.

This is density of the highest degree. Both alcohol and marijuana are detrimental to athletic performance, but they are not equal in the eyes of the law or equally testable after the fact.

Again, you're not addressing what's actually important.

So the consequences are based not on the detrimental effects of an action or the legal consequences but the method of detection? Talk about density.

Let's look at it a different way. We both agree that marijuana should not be illegal. Which of the following do you believe, District?

1) CBS shouldn't be punished for violating clearly articulated team rules

2) Clawson should lighten the sentence for marijuana violations, despite it being a violation of NCAA rules* and federal law.

3) Marijuana is a perfectly acceptable recreational drug for athletes to consume, in season, while on the active roster at a Power 5 school.

I disagree strongly with 1 and 3, and I'm ambivalent about 2. Feel free to specify your position if I haven't hit it here.

*we haven't discussed this yet, but if the NCAA tests you and you test positive then the repercussions are generally *way* worse (and more embarrassing for the program) than team punishments. That's one of the reasons that our athletic department does scheduled testing. Athletes usually know about these in advance.

It's amazing that in a time where marijuana is far more accepted and even legal in many places that the penalties are so stringent in the NCAA and by teams.

This is dumb. Weed is illegal and banned by the NCAA. It’s explicitly tested for by the NCAA. All of the players know this.

So the consequences are based not on the detrimental effects of an action or the legal consequences but the method of detection? Talk about density.

Well, it would seem that there would be a need to detect before applying consequences.

Let's look at it a different way. We both agree that marijuana should not be illegal. Which of the following do you believe, District?

1) CBS shouldn't be punished for violating clearly articulated team rules

2) Clawson should lighten the sentence for marijuana violations, despite it being a violation of NCAA rules* and federal law.

3) Marijuana is a perfectly acceptable recreational drug for athletes to consume, in season, while on the active roster at a Power 5 school.

I disagree strongly with 1 and 3, and I'm ambivalent about 2. Feel free to specify your position if I haven't hit it here.

*we haven't discussed this yet, but if the NCAA tests you and you test positive then the repercussions are generally *way* worse (and more embarrassing for the program) than team punishments. That's one of the reasons that our athletic department does scheduled testing. Athletes usually know about these in advance.

2 alt) The penalties for drinking and smoking in-season should be the same.

Would you add alcohol to your #3?

It is illegal for most players to drink according to federal law.

2 alt) The penalties for drinking and smoking in-season should be the same.

Would you add alcohol to your #3?
Dude, just answer my very straightforward question first and then we can address the alcohol question.

I'm trying to understand your actual position so we can have a substantive discussion.

coaches are in a tough spot with Weed. We all know that times and attitudes are changing about it and that it is quite popular with many athletes, particularily football players. On the other hand, it is illegal. Hard to look the other way when something is actually illegal. Alcohol is different because it is legal assuming you are of age and a sizeable number on your football team are old enough to drink.

Ironically, while the fan base has hated the AD, Rafi has plenty of pos reps.

LOL.

What the AD wants you to think:

What we actually think:

Reality:

Back