• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBS suspended for 3 games for violation of team rules- Nonsubstantive discussion

Yes, exactly: this is absolutely about the NCAA. Wake Forest tests athletes more often than the NCAA requires not specifically to catch violators but to prevent a wake athlete from ever being caught by the NCAA. That's why none of our guys ever get caught on NCAA drug screens -- we catch 'em first.

My position is 2 alt)

Ok, here's what you said:

2 alt) The penalties for drinking and smoking in-season should be the same.

My #2 was this:

2) Clawson should lighten the sentence for marijuana violations, despite it being a violation of NCAA rules and federal law.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe Clawson should institute harsher penalties for alcohol violations? How does that fix anything? And how will you test for this after the fact?

I didn't think you'd go for the *more* punitive option, but you didn't respond that Clawson should reduce the weed penalty, only bring booze in line with it.

Now i don't think smokers should be punished simply because it is possible to test for marijuana weeks after use. But the fact that the NCAA *can* test for it means that we must too.

Now i don't think smokers should be punished simply because it is possible to test for marijuana weeks after use. But the fact that the NCAA *can* test for it means that we must too.

It's not only that NCAA can test for marijuana. It is the fact that they DO test for marijuana (and other drugs). Penalties for getting caught on NCAA drug screening are bad. Hence the Wake testing and punishment system.

First time coming up positive on an NCAA administered test results in losing a year of eligibility and suspension for a full season. Cannabinoids are on the list of NCAA banned substances, along with PEDs and masking agents.

Ok, here's what you said:

My #2 was this:

2) Clawson should lighten the sentence for marijuana violations, despite it being a violation of NCAA rules and federal law.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe Clawson should institute harsher penalties for alcohol violations? How does that fix anything? And how will you test for this after the fact?

I didn't think you'd go for the *more* punitive option, but you didn't respond that Clawson should reduce the weed penalty, only bring booze in line with it.

You seem to hold yourself out as a smart guy - If you’re confused try to use context clues next time

It's not only that NCAA can test for marijuana. It is the fact that they DO test for marijuana (and other drugs). Penalties for getting caught on NCAA drug screening are bad. Hence the Wake testing and punishment system.

First time coming up positive on an NCAA administered test results in losing a year of eligibility and suspension for a full season. Cannabinoids are on the list of NCAA banned substances, along with PEDs and masking agents.
Yes, I agree with this

An old guy here but don't stereotype me as pro or anti weed. Having played sports, I can tell you that different coaches have different rules, illegal or not. If the coach has rules you don't like you can leave. As long as everyone knows the rules and consequences they either keep or break them at their own risk.

Beal-Smith and Hinton need to have a little talk about the aftermath of breaking Clawson team rules. And, more importantly, how you go about recovering from such transgressions.

Gotta believe there is more to this. Its well past midterms and too early for semester grades to be complete.

There’s only one more week of classes. Any pre-exam papers and presentations were likely last week.

LOL. So all that self-righteous discussion of Clawson’s weed policy was a waste of time?

Can we have a debate based purely on speculation regarding the archaic nature of Clawson’s academic policy?

Can we have a debate based purely on speculation regarding the archaic nature of Clawson’s academic policy?

LOL.

For the record, I’m glad Clawson doesn’t disclose info that could negatively impact players’ long term prospects on or off the field. “He made a mistake” should suffice.

We never should have switched from the credit five grade system to the hours/+/- system. Many more students received the + of the lower grade than the - of the higher.

We never should have switched from the credit five grade system to the hours/+/- system. Many more students received the + of the lower grade than the - of the higher.

Interesting. I was in school during the transition to plus/minus and I stayed off the plus/minus system thinking this would be the case.

Interesting. I was in school during the transition to plus/minus and I stayed off the plus/minus system thinking this would be the case.
It occurred between my freshman and sophomore year, and I really wish I could have stayed on the credit system.

Back