• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ts-to-watch-in-michigan-state-vs-wake-forest/

Jamie Newman, QB
Newman hasn't made a decision on his NFL future yet, but he's reportedly leaning toward returning to Wake Forest for another year. But because nothing is official yet, I'm including him because he had a remarkable season for the Demon Deacons and has first-round potential. At 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds with a strong arm, deft pocket presence, and pinpoint downfield accuracy, Newman will be intriguing to scouts and general managers whenever he's entering the NFL. Down the stretch, after his top two receivers went down with injury, Newman took a clear step back, but that wasn't super surprising. He tossed 23 touchdowns to 10 interceptions at a 62.3% completion rate this season. He's dealing with a leg injury, so there's a chance an injury will keep him off the field in this one too.

https://www.rotoballer.com/ncaa-prospects-to-watch-bowl-week-two/704264

Jamie Newman, QB Wake Forest – Projection: 2021 First Round (2020 Third Round Pick if he declares)

Newman is one of the least-heralded QBs in the draft, but one of my favorite to watch. He’s got great size (6’4” 230), tremendous accuracy, elite pocket awareness, and enough athleticism to make plays on the move. What’s more impressive is that much of his statistical output this year was without top wide receiver Sage Surratt, who was injured in early November. Newman doesn’t have a cannon for an arm, but he has the strength to make all the throws and pushes the ball down the field with ease. If he was in last year’s draft, he would have been a first-round pick. I think he has higher NFL upside than Daniel Jones or Dwayne Haskins.

Jamie Newman, QB Wake Forest – Projection: 2021 First Round (2020 Third Round Pick if he declares)

Newman is one of the least-heralded QBs in the draft, but one of my favorite to watch. He’s got great size (6’4” 230), tremendous accuracy, elite pocket awareness, and enough athleticism to make plays on the move. What’s more impressive is that much of his statistical output this year was without top wide receiver Sage Surratt, who was injured in early November. Newman doesn’t have a cannon for an arm, but he has the strength to make all the throws and pushes the ball down the field with ease. If he was in last year’s draft, he would have been a first-round pick. I think he has higher NFL upside than Daniel Jones or Dwayne Haskins.

high praise and all, but after Surratt's injury, Newman threw one TD with 4 INT's; he did have a nice day mostly running the ball vs. Duke

so, pretty much all of his (positive throwing) statistical output this year came with Surratt in the lineup

Higher upside than Jones or Haskins is one heck of a statement.

I know Biff and SD3 think I wrote all those articles praising Newman but I didn’t.

high praise and all, but after Surratt's injury, Newman threw one TD with 4 INT's; he did have a nice day mostly running the ball vs. Duke

so, pretty much all of his (positive throwing) statistical output this year came with Surratt in the lineup

You mean like the professional receivers he would throw to in the League?

Except there is a big diff in nfl caliber wr vs college dbs than nfl wr vs nfl cb. Very valid concern and why many nfl gms would be more skittish with Newman as more to how great Sage is than Jamie. Great nfl qbs do great even without nfl caliber wrs.

Except there is a big diff in nfl caliber wr vs college dbs than nfl wr vs nfl cb. Very valid concern and why many nfl gms would be more skittish with Newman as more to how great Sage is than Jamie. Great nfl qbs do great even without nfl caliber wrs.

Very valid point, but on the other hand, most NFL teams have loads of very talented offensive playmakers, so there would be 4 or 5 Sage Suratt’s out there on the field with Jamie.

I was commenting on the author’s statement that Newman compiled much of his statistical output this year after Sage went down.

This statement is incorrect.

Lots of unfinished business. Newman’s definitely coming back. Sad, but lots of optimism.

Hope you guys can now stop the nonsense about Jamie going pro this year.

Tweeted by Les:

Wake Forest QB Jamie Newman on if he'll return next season: "I'm not sure at this moment. I'm going to take some time, talk with my family, heal up and make a very smart decision."

I could see Newman transferring.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he did this. If he stays at Wake, there’s a chance he could lose his job to an equally talented quarterback that still has years of eligibility against Newman’s one.

I think it would be a grad year, so he’d be eligible immediately as well. I don’t think it would be a dumb decision.

Tweeted by Les:

Hope he makes the best decision. Hope he returns, but if not I am glad we will have Hartman to take the reins. There will probably be another QB battle in the summer if he returns. We’ve got a lot of firepower returning next season. Surratt, Greene and Walker on offense. Boogie, Greer, J Williams, Johns, Smenda and the defensive tackle group of Fox, Williams, Kamara, Bergman and Bothrod (which may be the best DT group we’ve ever had) on defense. DJ Taylor comes back too. Next year could be special as well.

I just hope we can put together a good offensive line. That will be key to everything next season

It’s comical and amateurish to believe that sam is remotely the threat that Newman is. I love Sam’s intensity and competitiveness, but he jumps the pocket too early and doesn’t have the vision that Newman does. Sam throws to a man, Jamie throws the man open.

Back