• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Who are our top 10 players next year?
Sage
Boogs
Kenny Three Sticks
Newman

I would say:

Surratt
Boogie
Newman
Greer
Walker
Greene
Williams
Bothroyd
Smenda
Sciba

Close to the top 10:

Hartman
Masterson
Taylor
Chapman
Redd
Rucker
Bergan
Johns
Hudson
Monroe

I truly don’t understand how anyone can possibly consider Sam to be a net gain or even neutral vs. Jamie. Yes, Sam may go 7-10 on intermediate routes(vs. 6-10 for Jamie), but he’ll only gain 3 yards on a QB keep(vs. 5 for Jamie) and he’ll hit on 3-10 20+ yard throws(compared to 50% for Jamie). Sam is talented, but he’s a guy who can lead us to many 7-5 seasons- Jamie has the upside to lead us to 10-2 next year.

Jamie led us to a loss today. That’s what it came down to. His turnover, and bad decision making. The defense ended up only giving 20! Jamie and Sam both have the upside. What it comes down to is which guy makes the best decisions in spring and fall camp. There should be a competition.

Love Jamie, but we was bad today and poor the last month. He is a warrior, and we run him too much and it wore him down. Clawsen has got to retool the offense, and take some pressure off. Hopefully th online will hang tough next year.

Again, the quarterback in our offense can choose to keep it or hand it off to his running backs (RUN) or pull it and PASS, thus giving him OPTIONS. That stands for RPO. Wake’s coordinator is letting the quarterback read the defense, and decide whether to run or pass. Jamie was the one that chose to run the ball, not the coaching staff. I’m sure once they break down film, they’ll think he ran it too much too.

The staff calls plenty of designed runs for Newman. And he’s forced into the run plenty of times when our OL can’t effectively block for the run and pass at the same time.

The staff calls plenty of designed runs for Newman. And he’s forced into the run plenty of times when our OL can’t effectively block for the run and pass at the same time.

The only time they are designed is when we go empty and we do that stupid QB draw. Seems like they’re using it less though. Now, I do agree that our offensive line did put Jamie in a few situations today where he had to go out and run. That is something that Jamie does better than Sam, he knows when to stay, and leave the pocket. Sam will have to improve with that if he wants to start next season if Jamie stays. Our offensive line play is not going to be as good as it was today, and I don’t think it was great.

Pretty weak shit to blame the predictability of the offense on the amateur player, not the head coach making millions of dollars per year or the offensive coordinator making hundreds of thousands.

Pretty weak shit to blame the predictability of the offense on the amateur player, not the head coach making millions of dollars per year or the offensive coordinator making hundreds of thousands.

That’s just how it is. The quarterbacks in our offense make the decisions! Those guys are not only good athletes and can huck it down field, they’re also highly intelligent. Sometimes they aren’t as sharp as we need them to be. That’s the downside of our offense. You put a lot of pressure on your quarterback to make the decisions.

You can blame the coordinator for the offense we run, if that makes it any better?

It's fair to recognize that playcalling could improve and use more imagination while also realizing that anyone who criticizes the playcalling specifically as "run, run, pass" doesn't have the first clue as to how the RPO works.

Sam also doesn’t also likely miss so many short/intermediate routes, resulting in short drives that keep the defense on the field. I’m partial to Jamie because of his running ability and deep ball, but don’t think there’s much of a question that Sam is the more accurate passer.

Jaime 61% completion rate for the year Sam 57%. not so sure about the idea that Sam is more accurate.

That’s just how it is. The quarterbacks in our offense make the decisions! Those guys are not only good athletes and can huck it down field, they’re also highly intelligent. Sometimes they aren’t as sharp as we need them to be. That’s the downside of our offense. You put a lot of pressure on your quarterback to make the decisions.

You can blame the coordinator for the offense we run, if that makes it any better?

I'm sure you are correct as your experience in football details are much much more than mine. If the QB is not connecting on his passes then the run game can get bogged down, and does/did. The coach or coordinator has to make the change call needed. Watching yesterday when it was a wider angle shot, the OL & DL were packed in a range of about 7-8 yards across. The DL can mostly wait/lay back until a run is committed, as the run play has to go through that packed area, little chance for a gain. Then rush the QB. Either side of this group was a wide open field. But we have no plays to attack that area or keep the defense 'honest' that we will use in this situation. Hinton on a sweep, etc.
It seems that when it gets to 3rd and 2 or 4th, we have about a 20% success rate with a run. Appears the D knows what is coming and is prepared. the RPO can be great when the QB is clicking. If not, we need some 'twists' to have other options. Love Clawson and what he is doing but it needs some tweaking going forward..

I'm sure you are correct as your experience in football details are much much more than mine. If the QB is not connecting on his passes then the run game can get bogged down, and does/did. The coach or coordinator has to make the change call needed. Watching yesterday when it was a wider angle shot, the OL & DL were packed in a range of about 7-8 yards across. The DL can mostly wait/lay back until a run is committed, as the run play has to go through that packed area, little chance for a gain. Then rush the QB. Either side of this group was a wide open field. But we have no plays to attack that area or keep the defense 'honest' that we will use in this situation. Hinton on a sweep, etc.
It seems that when it gets to 3rd and 2 or 4th, we have about a 20% success rate with a run. Appears the D knows what is coming and is prepared. the RPO can be great when the QB is clicking. If not, we need some 'twists' to have other options. Love Clawson and what he is doing but it needs some tweaking going forward..

Cade took some RPO runs wide left early. Got nice gains (6+ yards) then never went there again.

It's fair to recognize that playcalling could improve and use more imagination while also realizing that anyone who criticizes the playcalling specifically as "run, run, pass" doesn't have the first clue as to how the RPO works.

I think that’s partially true. It’s on the players / QB to make the option read but where to look for the read and the guidance on when to make what read is based comes from the coaching staff, both from the play called as well as the hours of film study each week. It’s pretty clear from Clawson’s pressers that the preference (especially since the WR injuries) has been to try and run the ball (with the backs and QB) as much as possible.

I don’t even think it’s a necessarily bad strategy given our struggles on the offensive line and newer wideouts who haven’t been able to get as much separation, but I think it’s also likely our offensive system is missing something.

Yeah man. Have you seen the teams on that list?

The injury bug hit, but the sky ain’t falling.

The injury bug hitting seems to be inherent to Clawson’s system. Running that many plays just exposes players to more chances to get hurt. The odds are going to catch up over the course of the season.

I think Hartman is a solid player and in retrospect obviously would have liked to see him play in the 2nd half, but based on everything I’ve seen from him, he would have struggled mightily with the MSU pass rush.

It does. It is a junk offense that works against bad teams, but against good/decent teams it works for about a quarter until they figure it out and then it sucks ass for the remaining 3 quarters. Not sure why the coaching staff doesn't get that. Run it for the first quarter and then switch to something else when the defense figures it out. And if that isn't possible, then don't run it at all and find something that actually has a chance of working against decent competition. But we keep running the same shit play for 3 quarters after it has become clear that it isn't going to work. That is nothing but sorry coaching.

I think Hartman is a solid player and in retrospect obviously would have liked to see him play in the 2nd half, but based on everything I’ve seen from him, he would have struggled mightily with the MSU pass rush.

Agreed. Everyone seems to be criticizing Newman or the play calling , but the O Line has pretty much gotten a pass. Michigan state D-line dominated us most of the game, except when we were fresh early. Not sure our skill players executing better would have made a difference. I have no idea who their D-line and linebackers are, but closer to the V. Tech, Clemson caliber, compared to the Teams we beat this year.

Back