• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

The injury bug hitting seems to be inherent to Clawson’s system. Running that many plays just exposes players to more chances to get hurt. The odds are going to catch up over the course of the season.

This is an interesting point. Perhaps this could be what Clawson studies this offseason. Is there a connection between pace and injuries across college football?

We’ve speculated that it may be related to fatigue in one game but not injuries throughout a season. Perhaps the in game fatigue makes players a little more sloppy and a little less alert and more likely to make a bad play or be vulnerable to a hit or whatever. The injury problem is our biggest problem without question and if there is something we can do about it, we need to explore that option.

Regardless of injury, it’s pretty clear that we can’t just reliably outpace decent to good teams. A team with depth issues shouldn’t be trying to run so many plays.

Agreed. Everyone seems to be criticizing Newman or the play calling , but the O Line has pretty much gotten a pass. Michigan state D-line dominated us most of the game, except when we were fresh early. Not sure our skill players executing better would have made a difference. I have no idea who their D-line and linebackers are, but closer to the V. Tech, Clemson caliber, compared to the Teams we beat this year.

MSU d-line front four had 2nd team, 3rd team and HM All B1G players. So much better than most Wake opponents.

MSU d-line front four had 2nd team, 3rd team and HM All B1G players. So much better than most Wake opponents.

Yep, MSU was pretty good, especially on D. They lost 5 games in a row in the middle of the season to #2 OSU, #8 Wisconsin, #10 PSU, #14 Michigan, and Illinois. Their other loss was to Arizona State, who also beat #6 Oregon.

The injury bug hitting seems to be inherent to Clawson’s system. Running that many plays just exposes players to more chances to get hurt. The odds are going to catch up over the course of the season.

I’ve been saying this for a couple of years now. More plays=more chances for injury, and that is without the additional impact of fatigue.

Yes, MSU defense at worst the 3rd best defense we faced this season (behind Clemson and maybe VT)

That’s just how it is. The quarterbacks in our offense make the decisions! Those guys are not only good athletes and can huck it down field, they’re also highly intelligent. Sometimes they aren’t as sharp as we need them to be. That’s the downside of our offense. You put a lot of pressure on your quarterback to make the decisions.

You can blame the coordinator for the offense we run, if that makes it any better?

Coaches can increase the mix of ‘designed plays’. Not every play now is a RPO play as it is.

Jamie told Connor he had not made a decision and was going to talk to family and not make a stupid decision. I like Jamie and think he can play in the NFL, but he needs to improve some things if he wants to be other than a practice squad QB. Not sure going Pro after yesterday is a smart decision

It does. It is a junk offense that works against bad teams, but against good/decent teams it works for about a quarter until they figure it out and then it sucks ass for the remaining 3 quarters. Not sure why the coaching staff doesn't get that. Run it for the first quarter and then switch to something else when the defense figures it out. And if that isn't possible, then don't run it at all and find something that actually has a chance of working against decent competition. But we keep running the same shit play for 3 quarters after it has become clear that it isn't going to work. That is nothing but sorry coaching.

I sort of agree with this. Why not run the RPO 40-60% of the time. Use it for a play here and there but mix it up. Use it while it works but have some other options. Preferably some misdirection plays.

Pure speculation. Newman's performance after the NCSU game was affected by injuries to his receivers and to himself. I wonder if he might consider a transfer to a higher profile football school that ran an offense that did not require the physical demands the RPO requires of him.

Pure speculation. Newman's performance after the NCSU game was affected by injuries to his receivers and to himself. I wonder if he might consider a transfer to a higher profile football school that ran an offense that did not require the physical demands the RPO requires of him.

He has to know that his running ability will be a part of his game regardless of where he is. I would guess his only two serious options would be returning or going pro. I'm not sure how heavily this would be considered but returning to Wake does come with some risk of being benched for Hartman. Obviously if you aren't confident enough that you can win the starting QB job at Wake Forest you won't be an NFL pro, so hopefully Newman is fully confident in his ability (and justifiably so) and will return for his senior year and cement his place on the All-ACC team while leading us to an even better 2020 season.

He has to know that his running ability will be a part of his game regardless of where he is. I would guess his only two serious options would be returning or going pro. I'm not sure how heavily this would be considered but returning to Wake does come with some risk of being benched for Hartman. Obviously if you aren't confident enough that you can win the starting QB job at Wake Forest you won't be an NFL pro, so hopefully Newman is fully confident in his ability (and justifiably so) and will return for his senior year and cement his place on the All-ACC team while leading us to an even better 2020 season.

Stop this

Basham & Surratt Confirmed to Return for 2020

LOL so this is the thread where all the old whites advocated for Hartman over Newman. Looks like I posted in the wrong one.

Jesus Christ you dumbasses don’t understand what we have in Jamie. Maybe he should transfer. Y’all don’t deserve him.

Last edited:
LOL so this is the thread where all the old whites advocated for Hartman over Newman. Looks like I posted in the wrong one.

Jesus Christ you dumbasses don’t understand what we have in Jamie. Maybe he should transfer. Y’all don’t deserve him.

This comment is moronic. Because Newman hasn’t played well since State, and we think Hartman would’ve gave us the best chance to win, that makes us old racist white men? What an inane thing to say.

Stop with the racist posts. Racism and ageism is no substitute for rational thought.

With Newman AND Hartman back, I'd feel really good about 2020. We wouldn't be "one injury away" from a lost season. Depth rocks, ya'll.

Yeah, reading those quotes I am not struck with confidence that Newman will return

Just my opinion, but I think it would be a mistake for Newman to leave now.
Between injuries and his overall performance, the second half of his season was poor. We all know he can do better and I think a full season (next year) of high level performance would greatly increase his value.
I wouldn’t want his NFL experience to turn out like Dortch’s.

Back