• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

LOL so this is the thread where all the old whites advocated for Hartman over Newman. Looks like I posted in the wrong one.

Jesus Christ you dumbasses don’t understand what we have in Jamie. Maybe he should transfer. Y’all don’t deserve him.

Parody right? Nobody could be such a dumbass as to assign racism to a debate about which QB gave the team a better chance in a particular game. Nobody is that big a dumbass, right?

Parody right? Nobody could be such a dumbass as to assign racism to a debate about which QB gave the team a better chance in a particular game. Nobody is that big a dumbass, right?

Lots of parody/ignorance. For the crowd that is confused, if you think Sam is a better alternative to Jamie, you must think Webb is better than Tiger.

I would be really surprised if Jamie leaves for the NFL. He has a lot to work on and I think he wants to come back and play his senior season...

LOL so this is the thread where all the old whites advocated for Hartman over Newman. Looks like I posted in the wrong one.

Jesus Christ you dumbasses don’t understand what we have in Jamie. Maybe he should transfer. Y’all don’t deserve him.

Good grief, man

Lots of parody/ignorance. For the crowd that is confused, if you think Sam is a better alternative to Jamie, you must think Webb is better than Tiger.
There have been certain points in Tiger's career when Webb was certainly a better bad to win the tournament.

Smart decision = wait for what NFL scout evaluators tell him. I think he kind of knows what they'll say, and I predict he'll be back.

Smart decision = wait for what NFL scout evaluators tell him. I think he kind of knows what they'll say, and I predict he'll be back.

Sure. The question is why have Sage and Boogie heard from the evaluators but Newman hasn't.

This comment is moronic. Because Newman hasn’t played well since State, and we think Hartman would’ve gave us the best chance to win, that makes us old racist white men? What an inane thing to say.

All you have to do is survey this past season as to how many D1 teams went with multiple QBs, ESPECIALLY WHEN ONE WAS BEING UNPRODUCTIVE! Has absolutely nothing to do with race unless you are the type if Social Justice Warrior that sees racism in everything and if you don't, you'll be quick to create it. In our conference alone, VT, Miami. Louisville, and FSU come to mind. I doubt anyone was pulled or given and opportunity becuse of race or in order to meet quotas. So asinine.

Jamie runs well on designed runs and maximizes his power for YAC. However, Hartman is more like Wolford in that he is a a much better scrambler and has quicker feet. Great asset when O and especially passing game is struggling. Even Clemson sprinted Goldie Locks out a couple of times and actually got the eventual game winning score on a jump pass vs tOSU. IOW, sometimes you have to improvise and adapt your O when the D is winning the battle.

Jamie runs well on designed runs and maximizes his power for YAC. However, Hartman is more like Wolford in that he is a a much better scrambler and has quicker feet. Great asset when O and especially passing game is struggling. Even Clemson sprinted Goldie Locks out a couple of times and actually got the eventual game winning score on a jump pass vs tOSU. IOW, sometimes you have to improvise and adapt your O when the D is winning the battle.
I was envious of the creativity of the Clemson OC. Ohio St was just killing Clemson until the OC made the necessary adjustments. The screen and jump passes which resulted in TDs were brilliant.

Sure. The question is why have Sage and Boogie heard from the evaluators but Newman hasn't.

3 of the 4 cfp qbs are transfers. Now I know all 3 were slated to be backup qbs at their previous big time schools and entered transfer portal before moving to their current school, but can a player inquire of other schools or vice versa if not officially in transfer portal? I assume no, otherwise seem like you could have recruiting nightmares with current players. But wouldn’t be surprised to see both OU and LSU along with Bama to pursue similar path if top qbs look to transfer there knowing you have a better nfl audition and bigger stage in nation.

3 of the 4 cfp qbs are transfers. Now I know all 3 were slated to be backup qbs at their previous big time schools and entered transfer portal before moving to their current school, but can a player inquire of other schools or vice versa if not officially in transfer portal? I assume no, otherwise seem like you could have recruiting nightmares with current players. But wouldn’t be surprised to see both OU and LSU along with Bama to pursue similar path if top qbs look to transfer there knowing you have a better nfl audition and bigger stage in nation.

Good questions. However, I think the three you cite are major exceptions. Also, Burrow rode the pine for I believe three years before getting his shot (perhaps less). For a Newman, I think an upgrade is certainly possible but can also be extremely risky given that a football factory will have 3-4 others with his similar skills and zero guarantee he would see the field next season.

IMHO, his best bet is to return but if he leaves, I don't see him transferring. Unless, of course, he makes a lateral move and I really would question that decision.

Newman will either go pro or come back to Wake. Any other scenario is dubious at best. I am betting he comes back. He's probably dropped to a mid round NFL draftee with his recent play.

Sam should have played in most of the second half. It was clear by that point that Jamie was off. Clawson should have made the change to give us a chance to win.

FWIW I hope Newman comes back because Surratt is coming back. They have chemistry. Surratt will have a legit chance to play in the NFL. I've thought all season that Surratt very often made Newman look a little better than he really was throwing the ball. Jamie throws a very catchable deep ball, but sometimes lacks touch on the shorter throws because his arm is strong. I think he's a major advantage as a runner in our offense because we don't have that super dangerous running back.

Agree with just stop it. If having two good QBs with lots of other weapons is a problem, count me not worried.

I didn't say it was a problem, I just said it might be a factor in Jamie's decision. I agree 100% when at the top of his game he's the better quarterback with way more potential. But I also think there is a small chance he could lose the starting QB job to Hartman and see his stock decrease. IMO there is a much better chance his stock will INCREASE if he comes back next season, but even the biggest Wake stans have to admit there is at least some possibility of a stock decrease. FWIW here is an article I saw on NFL salaries by round / pick, it gives some excellent perspective on what NFL picks make and exactly what "improving your draft stock" could mean to a player. Moving up to round 2/3/4 vs rounds 5/6/7 makes a BIG difference.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/

NFL Draft Rookie Contracts: Round 2
Pick Range Total Value, Signing Bonus
Picks 33-41 $7,650,500 to $7,125,435, $3,584,000 to $3,202,135
Picks 42-48 $6,994,472 to $6,077,737, $3,106,889 to $2,440,173
Picks 49-64 $5,932,210 to $4,578,946, $2,334,334 to $1,350,142

NFL Draft Rookie Contracts: Round 3
Pick Range Total Value, Signing Bonus
Picks 65-74 $4,278,420 to $4,028,376, $1,138,382 to $1,031,870
Picks 75-92 $3,975,925 to $3,624,290, $1,002,690 to $863,695
Picks 93-102* $3,458,115 to $3,399,480, $793,704 to $761,516NFL Draft Contracts: Rounds 4 -7

Round 4 $3,324,499 to $3,006,531*, $804,499 to $486,531
Round 5 $2,868,832 to $2,753,988*, $348,832 to $233,988
Round 6 $2,728,511 to $2,647,353*, $208,511 to $127,353
Round 7 $2,631,885 to $2,594,288*, $111,885 to $74,288

Newman taking more time to decide if he is coming back or not makes me question his judgement.

Back