• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Newman taking more time to decide if he is coming back or not makes me question his judgement.
I'm not sure if questioning his judgement for choosing to take his time is a wise move.

There are numerous reasons that he could be holding off on committing to returning. Maybe he thinks he's reached his peak as a player. Maybe he'll take being a 4th or so round pick this year over trying to improve to a 2nd (or 1st) next season. Maybe his family could use the money now. Maybe he's risk adverse to exposing himself to a potential moderate/major injury next season if he returns, especially with him getting banged up quite a bit this season. Maybe he simply is ready for the professional lifestyle. Etc... Even if he's 99% positive he's returning, it really doesn't hurt him to triple check all of the options with their potential advantages & disadvantages.

Last edited:
Maybe he figures being asked to lower his shoulder and run 20 times a game for free is not the best career move for him

Three of the quarterbacks from the semifinals last night had 14 or more runs, so it’s not like running is off the table for a winning college quarterback.

Maybe he figures being asked to lower his shoulder and run 20 times a game for free is not the best career move for him

Maybe he is seeing if he can graduate and grad transfer somewhere where he can win.

Ok boomer

Just because I get tired of seeing players from all kinds of sports make terrible decisions about going pro doesn't make me a boomer (hint: I'm not)

Newman had the entire month of december to think about what he wanted to do, then he went out and played fucking terrible in the bowl game, and still doesn't seem to realize that he has no chance of being an early draft pick. It doesn't take an extra three weeks to figure that out what anybody with eyeballs saw in yankee stadium.

sidenote: I actually like Newman as a QB and think that Wake is fortunate to have him. I just hate seeing kids throw away something special like their senior big man on campus season for the practice squad of an NFL team and then getting cut.

Last edited:
Serious albeit depressing question: if Jamie is solely looking out for himself (not team, teammates, etc), why wouldn’t he put his name in the transfer portal and see who recruits him? What if someone like Riley or Saban really likes him and thinks he’d be perfect in their offense? Obviously there’s a risk he doesn’t win the job, but there’s also a ton of upside. It’s not like we’d recruit someone to fill his spot and send him packing.

Note: I do not think he SHOULD do this, but it’s something I haven’t pondered before.

Serious albeit depressing question: if Jamie is solely looking out for himself (not team, teammates, etc), why wouldn’t he put his name in the transfer portal and see who recruits him? What if someone like Riley or Saban really likes him and thinks he’d be perfect in their offense? Obviously there’s a risk he doesn’t win the job, but there’s also a ton of upside. It’s not like we’d recruit someone to fill his spot and send him packing.

Note: I do not think he SHOULD do this, but it’s something I haven’t pondered before.

I wasn’t kidding when I mentioned this above. I said to people the last few days that I wouldn’t be shocked if he transferred somewhere like Oklahoma and was a Heisman finalist.

I wasn’t kidding when I mentioned this above. I said to people the last few days that I wouldn’t be shocked if he transferred somewhere like Oklahoma and was a Heisman finalist.
Probably will do just that. I hear he is tight with Whitter and might room with him in Norman.

I’m not sure how someone could watch the playoffs and see the QBs who went from Ohio State to LSU, Georgia to Ohio State, and Alabama to Oklahoma and think someone is going to snap up Wake Forest’s QB.

Since the Va Tech game, Newman has not played very well. Might be a function of the receivers (or competition) but I would still think he would be a late round pick at best at this point.

I think Newman is joining Space Force.

Thanks Trump.

Just because I get tired of seeing players from all kinds of sports make terrible decisions about going pro doesn't make me a boomer (hint: I'm not)

Newman had the entire month of december to think about what he wanted to do, then he went out and played fucking terrible in the bowl game, and still doesn't seem to realize that he has no chance of being an early draft pick. It doesn't take an extra three weeks to figure that out what anybody with eyeballs saw in yankee stadium.

sidenote: I actually like Newman as a QB and think that Wake is fortunate to have him. I just hate seeing kids throw away something special like their senior big man on campus season for the practice squad of an NFL team and then getting cut.

So he should have been focusing on his draft position during bowl practices, exams, etc but not now when he’ll get more complete information and there are no organized activities outside of some conditioning? And you want to eliminate bad decisions by having them make them earlier with less information? How does that make sense?

Since the Va Tech game, Newman has not played very well. Might be a function of the receivers (or competition)

Or both combined with the fact that Newman was playing injured and hasn't been anywhere close to 100% for the stretch run.

I just assume he is looking for an assurance from Clawson that the starting job will be his next year.

Once again, it seems like you are overly criticizing him for taking his time to make a decision. There is a difference between thinking that he made a bad decision by actually going pro vs thinking that him even considering going pro is a bad decision on its own.

Like all football players, Newman is always one play away from never playing football again.

Have no idea what Newman's realistic draft assessment is, but if he's a lock to be drafted, would never criticize a kid for taking guaranteed money when it is available.

The transfer speculation here is so LOWF. Just stop.

Back