• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

I disagree that some of the transfer speculation here is LOWF -- it's a brave new world re: transfers, especially for QBs who have been around long enough to graduate. They are effectively free agents now if they want to be

the speculation might be misguided for Newman, but it's not inherently LOWF

I disagree that some of the transfer speculation here is LOWF -- it's a brave new world re: transfers, especially for QBs who have been around long enough to graduate. They are effectively free agents now if they want to be

the speculation might be misguided for Newman, but it's not inherently LOWF

The point of reference for this is that three of the final four starting QBs in college transferred. They left AL, GA and O$U.

The point of reference for this is that three of the final four starting QBs in college transferred. They left AL, GA and O$U.

They left because none of them were going to play:

Tua had beaten out Hurts
Fromm had beaten out Fields
Haskins had beaten out Burrow.

Newman's situation is not akin to any of those.

Newman largely looked pretty bad down the stretch once Sage went down. Poor pocket presence, bad decisions, missing easy throws. Hard to see any elite program offering up a starting job on a silver platter.

Had Hornibrook lost his job before grad transferring to FSU? I honestly don't know. He started 33 games in Wisconsin.

How about the Arkansas QB who transferred to WKU and then pounded Arkansas this year?

I hope Newman doesn't transfer, and staying at WF would probably be a better move than transferring; however his potential NFL earnings could change the path of his family for generations. Seems prudent to explore every option.

Last edited:
Newman largely looked pretty bad down the stretch once Sage went down. Poor pocket presence, bad decisions, missing easy throws. Hard to see any elite program offering up a starting job on a silver platter.

In my recollection, Jamie's shoulder injury and Sage's injury were very close in time. The bad shoulder may gave had as much impact as losing Sage as a target. If your shoulder hurts everytime you throw, you don't want to throw often. That can influence other actions.

In my recollection, Jamie's shoulder injury and Sage's injury were very close in time. The bad shoulder may gave had as much impact as losing Sage as a target. If your shoulder hurts everytime you throw, you don't want to throw often. That can influence other actions.

Why did Clawson play a hurt Newman over a healthy Hartman? No way that was a good decision if Newman was really hurt.

Why did Clawson play a hurt Newman over a healthy Hartman? No way that was a good decision if Newman was really hurt.

I agree. If Newman was hurt, then he should have known to play Hartman. I remember he always used to say when Kendall was 80-90 %, they’d rather have the 100% healthy John playing, and vise versa. I think this is the same situation. If Jamie was hurt, and you’ve seen how he’s been playing these last games, you have a reason to bench Jamie and play Sam.

Clawson was trying to preserve Hartman's redshirt year. I think that played into some of the decision to keep playing Newman even if he was banged up.

They left because none of them were going to play:

Tua had beaten out Hurts
Fromm had beaten out Fields
Haskins had beaten out Burrow.

Newman's situation is not akin to any of those.

It's actually very consistent with those scenarios. Hartman previously beat out Newman as a true freshmen.

Newman can probably graduate and play immediately at another school and potentially play at another school with more depth and a better offensive line that could protect him and help him show off his talent and raise his NFL stock. If he returns to Wake and Wake has a losing season, it may really hurt his NFL prospects. Plus Wake's offense seems to lead to the QBs getting banged up and the Coaches no longer need to protect Hartman's red shirt year.

Exploring all of his options makes the most sense. It will be interesting to see what he does. Claswon has some recruiting to do and he's proven effective recently with keeping Surratt and Boogie so fingers crossed that he can keep Newman too.

It's actually very consistent with those scenarios. Hartman previously beat out Newman as a true freshmen.

Newman can probably graduate and play immediately at another school and potentially play at another school with more depth and a better offensive line that could protect him and help him show off his talent and raise his NFL stock. If he returns to Wake and Wake has a losing season, it may really hurt his NFL prospects. Plus Wake's offense seems to lead to the QBs getting banged up and the Coaches no longer need to protect Hartman's red shirt year.

Exploring all of his options makes the most sense. It will be interesting to see what he does. Claswon has some recruiting to do and he's proven effective recently with keeping Surratt and Boogie so fingers crossed that he can keep Newman too.

A few bits of information might provide some context here.

The Hartman beat out Newman was a case of Newman being hurt during summer practice and not being physically able to play in the early part of the season. Once Hartman was playing well, Clawson didn't make the change until Hartman was injured. And Newman had a really good finish to last season.

NFL scouts will find him next year. He will have a top three nationally ranked receiver (Surratt) to throw to at Wake, along with two very promising freshmen in Greene and Groulx.

Wake has a good shot at 8 wins again next year. 6 probable wins, 4 toss-up games, and two probable losses. Go 5-1 in the probable wins, split the tossups 2-2, lose the two probable losses, win bowl game for 8 wins again.

I'd wager Newman won't get drafted. In those later rounds the likelihood of an NFL team even getting a practice team QB is rare, whereas a serviceable position, or special teams player is much more reasonable. Newman will possibly get a chance as an undrafted free agent like Wolford did. BTW, he's not gonna get a chance at Oklahoma as they already have a very highly recruited sophomore to be QB in the program, Spencer Rattler. Comparing Newman to Burrow, Fields, and Hurts isn't even in the same universe. Their talent levels were way above his.

Like many others Newman has far more to gain playing in college to improve his draft prospects until he is actually ready to go pro. He’s not ready yet. But talking about him considering going pro raises his profile.

A few bits of information might provide some context here.

The Hartman beat out Newman was a case of Newman being hurt during summer practice and not being physically able to play in the early part of the season. Once Hartman was playing well, Clawson didn't make the change until Hartman was injured. And Newman had a really good finish to last season.

NFL scouts will find him next year. He will have a top three nationally ranked receiver (Surratt) to throw to at Wake, along with two very promising freshmen in Greene and Groulx.

Wake has a good shot at 8 wins again next year. 6 probable wins, 4 toss-up games, and two probable losses. Go 5-1 in the probable wins, split the tossups 2-2, lose the two probable losses, win bowl game for 8 wins again.

Hartman beat out Newman. Make excuses for Newman all you want but he lost the QB1 battle to Hartman. I haven't seen any evidence that Newman would have won the battle if he even was healthy but staying healthy is a big part of it and Newman wasn't able to stay healthy. This past year it was another close competition for the QB1 slot. Newman go the edge over Hartman for playing well down the stretch the year before and because Clawson could use Hartman's red shirt. Newman had already used his red shirt and therefore could not re shirt again. Going into next year should be an open QB battle for QB1 as it should be every year at every program. Given the propensity for Wake's QB's to get injured we will really need both QBs. If Newman doesn't transfer or remain in the draft then I expect we will see both QBs play next year regardless of who the starter is.

Wake has 4 definite losses, 2 definite wins, and 6 toss ups next year and may have a losing season and not make a bowl game next year.

Midway through the season Newman's stock was going through the roof. He was being discussed as a dark horse Heisman candidate. Then there were injuries to his receivers, the team came crashing down to earth and finished poorly. I'm sure in late October he was thinking that he was on track to be a 2nd round pick this year. That has to be disappointing and I'm sure he's still hoping for some good news. He'll come back because he has a chance to be an early round pick if he shows he has the skills, but he really hurt himself with poor play down the stretch.

Hartman beat out Newman. Make excuses for Newman all you want but he lost the QB1 battle to Hartman. I haven't seen any evidence that Newman would have won the battle if he even was healthy but staying healthy is a big part of it and Newman wasn't able to stay healthy. This past year it was another close competition for the QB1 slot. Newman go the edge over Hartman for playing well down the stretch the year before and because Clawson could us Hartman's red shirt. Newman had already used his red shirt and therefore could not re shirt again. Going into next year should be an open QB battle for QB1 as it should be every year at every program. Given the propensity for Wake's QB's to get injured we will really need both QBs. If Newman doesn't transfer or remain in the draft then I expect we will see both QBs play next year regardless of who the starter is.

Wake has 4 definite losses, 2 definite wins, and 6 toss ups next year and may have a losing season and not make a bowl game next year.

4? Only definite is Clemson.

Newman was definitely hurt when he lost out to Hartman. I didn’t think this was debatable.

The evidence that Newman would have beaten out Hartman when healthy is that he beat him out when healthy.

And I say all this as a big fan of Hartman. I like both our QBs and think they each bring something to the table.

Clesmon, Notre Dame, FSU and Louisville.

FSU and Louisville are toss-ups, both with a good chance for Wake to win. Obviously we beat FSU this year, and Louisville has a weak D (they gave up 52 points to Miami!). ND will be a tough game, but I think it is potentially winnable.

Hartman beat out Newman. Make excuses for Newman all you want but he lost the QB1 battle to Hartman. I haven't seen any evidence that Newman would have won the battle if he even was healthy but staying healthy is a big part of it and Newman wasn't able to stay healthy. This past year it was another close competition for the QB1 slot. Newman go the edge over Hartman for playing well down the stretch the year before and because Clawson could use Hartman's red shirt. Newman had already used his red shirt and therefore could not re shirt again. Going into next year should be an open QB battle for QB1 as it should be every year at every program. Given the propensity for Wake's QB's to get injured we will really need both QBs. If Newman doesn't transfer or remain in the draft then I expect we will see both QBs play next year regardless of who the starter is.

At this point, you have sunk to troll status, spinning falsehoods to try to stir things up.

Pumping up UNC. Ignoring that Newman was injured to start the 2019 season to make it seem like Hartman "beat out Newman". Bringing up Newman transferring like it's something he is actually considering. "4 definite losses". If you believe the trash that you are peddling, lay a massive bet on the WF "under" 2020 win total. Otherwise, wander off to another board. Not even worth responding to your "sky is falling" garbage.

Back