• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

YIA also had this weird thing about Ben Mauk when he was battling Cory Randolph.

Clawson was trying to preserve Hartman's redshirt year. I think that played into some of the decision to keep playing Newman even if he was banged up.

After the Clemson game, Hartman could’ve played out and he wouldn’t have burned his redshirt. Really the Virginia Tech, Syracuse, and Michigan State games were his worst. If Jamie truly was hurt, Hartman should have at the very least come in and relieved Jamie after he struggled so badly in both of the last two games (I think he probably should have started MState). Jamie going down against Cuse was probably a good thing.

After the Clemson game, Hartman could’ve played out and he wouldn’t have burned his redshirt. Really the Virginia Tech, Syracuse, and Michigan State games were his worst. If Jamie truly was hurt, Hartman should have at the very least come in and relieved Jamie after he struggled so badly in both of the last two games (I think he probably should have started MState). Jamie going down against Cuse was probably a good thing.

Not really. He played in the Louisville game and all of FSU. Playing out after the Clemson game would've brought his total to 5 games played.

Clesmon, Notre Dame, FSU and Louisville.

Clemson is the only definite loss. To even suggest Louisville is a definite loss is stupid. When this team is healthy, they are dangerous. I see 9-3 possible. I think people have forgotten what we were before injuries. It really does suck we weren’t able to pull out the win because that’s all that the fan base has on its mind. Wake is a very good football team. We are bursting with talent. We have a better football team than FSU and Louisville, and we can beat Notre Dame if we play well. Ill informed to think otherwise.

Not really. He played in the Louisville game and all of FSU. Playing out after the Clemson game would've brought his total to 5 games played.

I apologize. Duke and Clemson flipped on me. Either way, Newman looked well in the Duke game. I think for the most part he looked healthy in the Clemson game too. The games he looked poor in were Syracuse and MState. I really don’t think Jamie has been hurt. He may have been for the bowl, but I think he was just bad to end the season. Even so, if he was hurt against MState, my point stands. Clawson should have played Hartman.

Clemson is the only definite loss. To even suggest Louisville is a definite loss is stupid. When this team is healthy, they are dangerous. I see 9-3 possible. I think people have forgotten what we were before injuries. It really does suck we weren’t able to pull out the win because that’s all that the fan base has on its mind. Wake is a very good football team. We are bursting with talent. We have a better football team than FSU and Louisville, and we can beat Notre Dame if we play well. Ill informed to think otherwise.

I feel like the closest we came to reaching our ceiling in terms of high level of play was the first half vs UNC. Too bad injuries started to pile up with our play makers later in the season.

I feel like the closest we came to reaching our ceiling in terms of high level of play was the first half vs UNC. Too bad injuries started to pile up with our play makers later in the season.

Our defense was very solid then. We were much faster and energized. It makes you wonder if the RPO truly does wear down our defense too much. Our offense had to compensate for us to win games down the stretch, which they didn’t do like they have in the past.

Yeah, we played about as well as we could play for the first 40 minutes of that game, should've had a bigger lead though. We really dominated our in-state rivals. We were killing UNC until we lost interest, State we thrashed and the Duke game would've been a blow out if we could've covered a freaking kickoff.

This is a good post. You're right - if we pulled off the MSU game the tone here would obviously be a lot different. I think we are looking really good heading into next year, and I think Clawson will add a few more pieces as well.

In regards to Louisville and FSU, it's also worth noting that Louisville has 26 seniors and 18 in the transfer portal and FSU has 15 seniors and 7 in the portal (compared to Wake with 13 seniors and 5 in the portal).

Satterfield and Norvell are better coaches than there predecessors and FSU and Louisville already have the athletes and talent to immediately surpass Wake. Has Wake ever beaten Notre Dame? Has Clawson ever come close to beating Clemson?

Agreed and based on Claswon's press conference quotes he seems to recognize that Wake lacks the talent depth necessary to survive those injuries and win. Clawson had been the head coach since December 2013 so he has had 6 years to recruit and build his team with his players. He is responsible for recruiting and developing that depth. The talent has clearly improved from the end of the Grobe era but the depth isn't there yet. Clawson needs to fix that and further improve recruiting if he wants to move Wake Forest's football program forward.

First order of business was getting starters who could play successfully against most teams. That has been accomplished. Next, and harder task is to get capable replacements for the starters who get injured. Not so easy at Wake when you are a developmental program and only have 85 scholarships to work with. Wake gets few walk-ons. Some of them have become major contributors. A bigger pool of them would help with the depth issue.

A few bits of information might provide some context here.

The Hartman beat out Newman was a case of Newman being hurt during summer practice and not being physically able to play in the early part of the season. Once Hartman was playing well, Clawson didn't make the change until Hartman was injured. And Newman had a really good finish to last season.

NFL scouts will find him next year. He will have a top three nationally ranked receiver (Surratt) to throw to at Wake, along with two very promising freshmen in Greene and Groulx.

Wake has a good shot at 8 wins again next year. 6 probable wins, 4 toss-up games, and two probable losses. Go 5-1 in the probable wins, split the tossups 2-2, lose the two probable losses, win bowl game for 8 wins again.

How’s the OL looking next year?

Satterfield and Norvell are better coaches than there predecessors and FSU and Louisville already have the athletes and talent to immediately surpass Wake. Has Wake ever beaten Notre Dame? Has Clawson ever come close to beating Clemson?

Satterfield and Norvell are for sure better coaches than their predecessors, and they are excellent coaches. But I think Clawson is an excellent coach too. This was his worst year as a coach at Wake Forest imo. I think he counted on the starting 22, and didn’t develop the back 22 as he should have (and he knows it). Those guys are much younger, but they are just as talented. If they got more experience and attention, we would have been much better off in the later half of the season.

When he said we’re going to attack next year with a vengeance, I think he may be talking about himself more than anybody. He’s going to work hard. He’s going to fix what we did wrong. I think he’s going to attack his mistakes head on. I think the biggest mistake all year by Clawson may have been the way he handled the end of the half in the Pinstripe. That may have been the worst clock management Clawson has ever had (I have an unpopular opinion that he handles the clock well). I think the offensive system works well when the quarterback is confident, and smart. I don’t think he should scrap his offensive system. I do agree with the rest of the poster’s that he should add in some non RPO plays. Just about every play they run expect the QB draw is an RPO. We need a smidge more variety.

We have just as much talent as Louisville and FSU, so just basing it off of talent isn’t going to cut it. They do have more depth than us. However, I also think our players are smarter and have more intelligence than the guys at Louisville and FSU (especially FSU). Notre Dame is not as strong of a team as people think. They’re good, but they’re not championship good, not even top 15 good. We should have chance, but we will have to play well like I said. It would be nice to have a good crowd in Charlotte. Should be fun win or lose.

Nowhere did I say we would beat Clemson. Clemson is just another level. I don’t think it’s a guaranteed loss, but I very rarely think there are guaranteed losses. Any ACC school can beat Clemson if Clemson plays like shit and the opposition plays extraordinarily, and everything goes against Clemson. It’s possible, but close to impossible. But Clawson did come close ish in 2014 with Clemson. They had their backup QB in. They were like 18th or somewhere along those lines. A completely different team than what they are now.

Satterfield and Norvell are for sure better coaches than their predecessors, and they are excellent coaches. But I think Clawson is an excellent coach too. This was his worst year as a coach at Wake Forest imo. I think he counted on the starting 22, and didn’t develop the back 22 as he should have (and he knows it). Those guys are much younger, but they are just as talented. If they got more experience and attention, we would have been much better off in the later half of the season.

When he said we’re going to attack next year with a vengeance, I think he may be talking about himself more than anybody. He’s going to work hard. He’s going to fix what we did wrong. I think he’s going to attack his mistakes head on. I think the biggest mistake all year by Clawson may have been the way he handled the end of the half in the Pinstripe. That may have been the worst clock management Clawson has ever had (I have an unpopular opinion that he handles the clock well). I think the offensive system works well when the quarterback is confident, and smart. I don’t think he should scrap his offensive system. I do agree with the rest of the poster’s that he should add in some non RPO plays. Just about every play they run expect the QB draw is an RPO. We need a smidge more variety.

We have just as much talent as Louisville and FSU, so just basing it off of talent isn’t going to cut it. They do have more depth than us. However, I also think our players are smarter and have more intelligence than the guys at Louisville and FSU (especially FSU). Notre Dame is not as strong of a team as people think. They’re good, but they’re not championship good, not even top 15 good. We should have chance, but we will have to play well like I said. It would be nice to have a good crowd in Charlotte. Should be fun win or lose.

Nowhere did I say we would beat Clemson. Clemson is just another level. I don’t think it’s a guaranteed loss, but I very rarely think there are guaranteed losses. Any ACC school can beat Clemson if Clemson plays like shit and the opposition plays extraordinarily, and everything goes against Clemson. It’s possible, but close to impossible. But Clawson did come close ish in 2014 with Clemson. They had their backup QB in. They were like 18th or somewhere along those lines. A completely different team than what they are now.

I don’t agree with everything you said but this is a solid post and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I don’t think Wake has the same talent that FSU or Louisville has. Wake just currently can’t match their overall speed and athleticism and Clawson needs to improve recruiting to address that.

I agree that Clawson needs to recruit and develop a deeper bench. It’s definitely harder for Clawson to do that at Wake as compared to most of the big state schools in the ACC. Nevertheless it’s a current weakness and needs to be addressed for Wake to move forward.

I agree that he needs to add some additional plays to the offense. As other posters stated it’s disappointing that he never did that during the season.

I don’t think Clawson is very good at clock management before half time. He plays too conservatively in those scenarios when scoring points before half time could make the difference between winning and losing.

I don't understand why we do not use more misdirection on offense. That is an effective weapon against faster and more aggressive defenses. Our over-all team speed is poor and we will not take a step upward until that is addressed. Just watching UL beat Miss. State, their speed and quickness are so beyond ours. That must change; but I don't think our present recruiting class will make a significant difference. Finally, our defensive backfield must develop more strength, speed, cover skills and tackling skills. In other words, our d-backs must improve in virtually every area.

Also, I am not confident that our WR will be anywhere near this year's. I like what I have seen of Green; but I don't see anyone replacing Hinton. And that is huge.

At this point, you have sunk to troll status, spinning falsehoods to try to stir things up.

Pumping up UNC. Ignoring that Newman was injured to start the 2019 season to make it seem like Hartman "beat out Newman". Bringing up Newman transferring like it's something he is actually considering. "4 definite losses". If you believe the trash that you are peddling, lay a massive bet on the WF "under" 2020 win total. Otherwise, wander off to another board. Not even worth responding to your "sky is falling" garbage.

His screen name definitely exposes his fish out of water Yankee bitching. Probably chapped about too much grits and biscuits and having to enjoy his pizza with Cheerwine. WTF is he even posting here? Someone better versed in IT please dig up his pre-season predictions for these last two FB years.

I don’t agree with everything you said but this is a solid post and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I don’t think Wake has the same talent that FSU or Louisville has. Wake just currently can’t match their overall speed and athleticism and Clawson needs to improve recruiting to address that.

I agree that Clawson needs to recruit and develop a deeper bench. It’s definitely harder for Clawson to do that at Wake as compared to most of the big state schools in the ACC. Nevertheless it’s a current weakness and needs to be addressed for Wake to move forward.

I agree that he needs to add some additional plays to the offense. As other posters stated it’s disappointing that he never did that during the season.

I don’t think Clawson is very good at clock management before half time. He plays too conservatively in those scenarios when scoring points before half time could make the difference between winning and losing.

What horseshoe about UL. Which is it, coaching or talent? Satterfield had no Fng clue to stop our Offense. We lose by 3 on a questionable onsides review in a track meet against a track team. Yes they have speed but we have players. 2 backs with 123/95 yds vs 2 with 79/60. 668 yds of offense vs 520, 2 receivers with 196/134 yds vs 1 with 125 yds. This game was about giving up 280 yds of kick returns on coverage, not athletes.

What horseshoe about UL. Which is it, coaching or talent? Satterfield had no Fng clue to stop our Offense. We lose by 3 on a questionable onsides review in a track meet against a track team. Yes they have speed but we have players. 2 backs with 123/95 yds vs 2 with 79/60. 668 yds of offense vs 520, 2 receivers with 196/134 yds vs 1 with 125 yds. This game was about giving up 280 yds of kick returns on coverage, not athletes.

Louisville was actually very effective defending Wake's potent passing attack. The game turned into a shoot out but they really exposed that Wake's receivers had difficulty with physical play by the defenders. Va Tech, Syracuse and Michigan State were also successful playing very physical defense against Wake. I expected Wake to beat Louisville this past year but Satterfield really surprised me with how quickly he turned Louisville around. We're talking about next year though and my prediction for next year is that Louisville will definitely beat Wake.

Back