• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

It would be such a Wake Forest thing for now Boogie and Surratt to change their minds and go pro.

It would be such a Wake Forest thing for now Boogie and Surratt to change their minds and go pro.

That was literally my next thought. Have to think Sage expected Newman to be here and he’s under no actual obligation to come back just because he said he would.

man, what a bummer

kinda got some low-key vibes that Jamie and Clawson might not be on the same wavelength

This seems like an extremely questionable decision. Very curious to see where he ends up, but passing up a chance to throw to Surratt and Greene in an offense he is used to and highlights his skills seems reckless.

He's probably not going to play himself into a first rounder at Wake.

He will get that opportunity elsewhere and there is plenty of precedence this year for QBs excelling elsewhere. I totally get it, but hate it.

With all of that said, he could still come back.

NFL doesn’t care who you play for. Wentz NDSU; Daniel Jones Duke; Jared Goff Cal... if you can play, you can play.

Really really odd move. He must have a promise from a big program...

also, pretty clear that there isn't much interest in a return if Jamie doesn't land at a top program

Anyone want to start speculating wildly on top teams that may not have a locked-in QB for next year? Obviously ACC teams are out. Ohio State, Bama and presumably OU have their QBs.

He's probably not going to play himself into a first rounder at Wake.

He will get that opportunity elsewhere and there is plenty of precedence this year for QBs excelling elsewhere. I totally get it, but hate it.

With all of that said, he could still come back.

This is where I am at. Yesterday or the day before I joked that only Oklahoma would make sense and I hope I didn't stumble on a reality. I think we could count on one possibly two hands where a transfer would make sense from a pro development POV: The two QBs on OU's depth chart behind Hurts are a redshirt frosh and a true frosh ... the true frosh is a 5-star QB though and is supposed to be the guy next year ...

LSU??? Their QB2 is a 4-star sophomore ...

Surratt did have 170 yards receiving against FSU.

If informed there was an open competition at QB next year (which I assume was the case), this doesn't not make sense if the #1 priority is preparing for the NFL. Still sucks tho.

I mean, Surratt is a good enough receiver to excel no matter who we roll out there. Question is how much he values his connection with Newman. That pairing resulted in most of our offensive production before Sage was hurt.

I assume he doesn't want to run an offense that forces him to duck his shoulder 15x per game.

Scrambling is one thing, but QB powers and RPO's are another.

This is a quote from Clawson: "Jamie informed me today that he will finish his eligibility at another school as a graduate transfer. We appreciate Jamie's contribution to our program's success and wish him well as he continues his career." -

So wow. He's definitely not coming back no matter what ... As I posted in the 2020 thread a few days ago, Kern has the best arm of all our QBs. I feel good about entering next year with redshirt soph and redshirt frosh Hartman and Kern as our QB1 and QB2.

This is a quote from Clawson: "Jamie informed me today that he will finish his eligibility at another school as a graduate transfer. We appreciate Jamie's contribution to our program's success and wish him well as he continues his career." -

So wow. He's definitely not coming back no matter what ... As I posted in the 2020 thread a few days ago, Kern has the best arm of all our QBs. I feel good about entering next year with redshirt soph and redshirt frosh Hartman and Kern as our QB1 and QB2.

Kern is really skinny

I mean, really, really skinny

listed at 6-2 175 and he ain't that heavy

I don't feel good about Kern running an RPO-based offense in the ACC and I mean no disrespect to Kern

I saw Newman shaking hands with Lewerke after the game, and Lewerke was clearly taller and bigger. And Lewerke is not that good, or is he? He clearly outplayed Newman.

And Lewerke did not throw a pass downward, into a defensive lineman, which, as I said that very moment, would be the difference.

That said, thanks to Newman - ran hard and ran tough, was not afraid to put a lot of air under the ball and throw it deep to our tall receivers, and helped us kick the crap out of NC State and Duke, which was awesome.

Best of luck.

And Hartman will be just fine - going to put up some nice numbers assuming we get the O Line in shape.

Maybe we can get rid of that stupid stop first offense.

good luck to Newman - and Bowers:

Back