• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

I have heard from a prior WFU player Kerns is the real deal, and he expected him to leap frog Hartman. I guess we will have a QB competition in the spring.

I speculate Newman just wants a pro-style offense to improve his draft stock and lessen his chance of injury.

I wonder if this has been in the wind for some time. I fully expected that Kern and possibly Hartman would have entered the transfer portal if Newman was certain to return. The fact neither did may indicate that both suspected that Newman would not return. Perhaps they thought he would enter the draft.

I have heard from a prior WFU player Kerns is the real deal, and he expected him to leap frog Hartman. I guess we will have a QB competition in the spring.

I will place a large wager that a healthy Hartman does not lose the job to Kerns in his career. Hartman may even be Clawson's boy more than Wolford was.

As everyone knows, I am old school and old school places a great deal of emphasis on loyalty as opposed as being all wrapped up in self. Football is perhaps the ultimate team sport. Therefore, this is disappointing to me.

However, assuming Hartman doesn't transfer (nothing is certain any more) and assuming Surratt and Green return, our passing game should be fine (also assuming that we can replace all the OL we are losing). I really can't think of a pass that Jamie makes that Hartman can't make as well.

Nonetheless, I do agree that the slow RPO needs to go. It served its purpose, but by the end of the season opponents figured out how to stop it.

Count me in as at least one poster who was unaware you were old school.

So you are a socks guy then? No tats. You don't just go to your friends funerals - you go to their PARENTS funerals - that's how old school? Or just sports old school?

Apologies in advance I am not current on your sports and beyond philosophies per your posts here. Everyone except me, I suppose.

I agree with this. I wouldn’t bash him publicly, but this dude is jumping ship on his teammates and coaches who gave him a shot. To me, it shows that he lacks confidence in his skills to continue at a high level without Hinton and Washington around. The coaches were banking on him being a starting QB next year and he just gave them a big FU. Shows his true character.

This has nothing to do with Hinton and Washington being gone. I believe this has to do with the constant injuries he took in the way Wake uses their QB. I expect him to go to a school that runs a more traditional system that does not depend so much on the QB running the ball. Also, he can go anywhere he wants to go, since he will go as a grad transfer. He can go anywhere, including ACC schools.

LSU, OK, Oregon, USC (QB may have injured elbow), Alabama may be a couple options.

Going to laugh my ass off if Newman transfers to a powerhouse program and loses starting job to 5 star qb waiting in the wing.

ESPN article also stated Bowers entered transfer portal as well.

I must say, screw all these well wishes on twitter and here. We gave the dude a P5 scholarship and a chance when no one else did. He got his degree. No, I don’t want him to go win a national championship somewhere else. I also don’t like the well wishes from his teammates. He’s abandoning y’all. Not to go pro, and not transferring because he can’t get on the field. No, he is leaving because he thinks he’s better than you and better than Wake.

Something about this is strange to me. I highly doubt this decision wasn't made between the Cuse game and the bowl game. Someone from a "big time program" must have contacted him or a family member and guaranteed a starting spot next year. I just think the decision was already made. If so, it's pretty damn selfish to play in the bowl game when Hitman could've had a full game under his belt to help transition into next season.

Nemwan spoke in the post game interview that it was no secret he had been playing hurt most of the last half of the season. Most likely answer is he figured he needs another year to impress scouts but can't do that if he keeps getting hurt. Maybe He felt pressured to play because Clawson wanted to preserve Hartman's redshirt. Just speculation, but that could be the source of the "bad vibes" some mentioned.

If Sam started/played the whole year, you could make the argument that we would have had a better season, given how it ended. Jamie threw 2 critical picks vs Louisville and was quite bad vs VT, Cuse, and MSU. Maybe we lose Utah St or BC I guess without him. The thought that we wouldn't have gone bowling is silly/dumb.

I did prefer Newman, am bummed he's gone, and share your QB injury concerns as well.

This has nothing to do with Hinton and Washington being gone. I believe this has to do with the constant injuries he took in the way Wake uses their QB. I expect him to go to a school that runs a more traditional system that does not depend so much on the QB running the ball. Also, he can go anywhere he wants to go, since he will go as a grad transfer. He can go anywhere, including ACC schools.

Related to the injuries, I think the bigger deal is the turnover in OL.

I first starting noticing the bad vibes in the VT game when Newman wanted to go out and finish the game and they sent out Bowers

Hartman may not end up being as good as I think he is but he’s definitely better than a lot of posters here think he is.

Basham, Surratt return; Newman Enters Transfer Portal

A healthy Hartman is equivalent to slightly better than a banged up Newman. A healthy Newman is light years better than a health Hartman.

Hope Hartman stays healthy next year.

Wonder if Gattis will kick the tires? Patterson is gone from Michigan. UGA would probably make the most sense, if Fromm leaves. One Wake player already transferred to Oregon, so maybe they've already been in contact.

I'm torn. It would be pretty cool to see him have a Burrow-ish year at a powerhouse program, but I also wouldn't mind him becoming the next Tate Martell and a cautionary tale against future Deac transfers.

If we didn't see Hartman play as a true frosh, and all we knew about him was his play in the four games he appeared this season, I think the vibe would be more positive.

Back