• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

You’re disagreeing that Newman could possibly be a first round prospect next year.

Absolutely. Newman, when healthy, does a number of things well. But not the type of things that would make him a first round prospect. Whether due to scheme or his own limitations, our offense rarely used the middle of the field. We ran some posts here and there. We ran a few option routes with Hinton or the TEs. But we ran almost nothing in terms of deep ins, drags, or other routes across the middle. When we did throw to the middle, Newman had a disturbing tendency to throw high. He missed a TD to Hinton on slant in either the dook or Su games because of that problem.

We ran very few combination routes with 3 legit targets. We ran a ton of fades, fade stops, and go routes. Newman has demonstrated high-level ability to make those throws. But a 1st round pick most likely has to be some combination of a) a world-class athlete; b) incredibly accurate; c) have unbelievable stats; and/or d) from a name school. Newman is a good, but not great, athlete and completed 62% of his passes during his only full season. His stats are also good, but not great (4th in the ACC for efficiency and adjusted yards per attempt), and he plays at Wake. So no, I don't think he is ever a 1st round pick, nor should he be without a substantial leap next year.

I fear you may not know what referencing a player's ceiling actually means. No one is going to take that bet, but it doesn't mean that it isn't possible. Maybe I'm off base here, but it seems like the vast majority of your posts come across quite negative towards our coaches, team, or players.

Oh, and despite horrible special teams play, we only needed to score 31 points in regulation to beat Cuse. I'm sure you foresaw the ridiculous OT finish coming when you made your projection, though.
1. Of course you are off base. I've spent plenty of time talking about how good certain players are and immensely enjoyed most of this year. I'm very happy with the team and the program at this point, even if 7-8 wins is as good as it gets. I'd love to have Coach Clawson stay for as long as he can effectively have the team remain competitive. The most negative posts I had were about our chances at Clemson (despite Pilch's thoughts that I was being too negative, I was ultimately correct) and our defense's issues that would show up versus Syracuse (right on that one as well, despite your hysterics). And again, I 100% want Jamie Newman to be the starter next year. I think he can be one of the 3-4 best QB's Wake has ever had (he is already in the top 6 or so).

TLDR- chill the fuck out.

1. Of course you are off base. I've spent plenty of time talking about how good certain players are and immensely enjoyed most of this year. I'm very happy with the team and the program at this point, even if 7-8 wins is as good as it gets. I'd love to have Coach Clawson stay for as long as he can effectively have the team remain competitive. The most negative posts I had were about our chances at Clemson (despite Pilch's thoughts that I was being too negative, I was ultimately correct) and our defense's issues that would show up versus Syracuse (right on that one as well, despite your hysterics). And again, I 100% want Jamie Newman to be the starter next year. I think he can be one of the 3-4 best QB's Wake has ever had (he is already in the top 6 or so).

I agree with the majority of your post, including the last line, but it's clown status to try to claim you were right about needing 40 to win given the way that game played out.

But a 1st round pick most likely has to be some combination of a) a world-class athlete; b) incredibly accurate; c) have unbelievable stats; and/or d) from a name school.

Where do Daniel Jones and Mitch Trubisky fall in this paradigm?

Basham & Surratt

Just take the bet instead of parsing his words.

You don’t seem to know what a ceiling is either. Neither does Juice. I guess I shouldn’t assume.

Why would I do a 1 to 1 bet that a player would reach his ceiling? Give me better odds and I’ll take it. I’ll do 10 to 1 odds. I give you $10 and you give me $100. Deal?

Thank you, Rafi. People act like a first round pick is some sort of god.

You don’t seem to know what a ceiling is either. Neither does Juice. I guess I shouldn’t assume.

Why would I do a 1 to 1 bet that a player would reach his ceiling? Give me better odds and I’ll take it. I’ll do 10 to 1 odds. I give you $10 and you give me $100. Deal?

Thank you, Rafi. People act like a first round pick is some sort of god.

Rj was a first round draft pick. Rj is god. It all makes sense now.

I actually think, should things break a certain way, that Newman indeed could be a first round pick

I do not feel that way about Hartman

I am, however, lol'ing at the prospect of Ph not parsing words per biff's request

Sounds we're on the same page, then. Excited for Jamie's future (hopefully) at Wake. I probably just lumped you in with all the other negativity on the board - and I'm certainly a part of that at times.

We still only needed 31 points in regulation to beat Syracuse, despite bad ST play and a bunch of turnovers. You were 9+ points away from being right, so I'm not sure why you keep tooting your horn there.

You’re disagreeing that Newman could possibly be a first round prospect next year.

I agree with the majority of your post, including the last line, but it's clown status to try to claim you were right about needing 40 to win given the way that game played out.

That part was fairly tongue in cheek. I made the original post before I was aware Devito wasn't playing. The 39 just ended up making the complaint about my post a little more crazy.

Where do Daniel Jones and Mitch Trubisky fall in this paradigm?

Trubisky falls into the world-class athlete/unbelievable stats portion 6'3 or so, 225, fast, with a big arm. Similar to Josh Allen in that respect. He also went for 68% completion percentage, 30 tds/6 ints, 9 adjusted passing yards/attempt his Jr year. Funny thing is, even with that, everybody assumed he would probably suck. And we were right.

Jones is just an awful first-round pick.

Trubisky falls into the world-class athlete/unbelievable stats portion 6'3 or so, 225, fast, with a big arm.

First, Trubisky is 6'2" 215 lbs. Second, Newman is 6'4" 230 lbs. Third, Mitch Trubisky, world-class athlete - LOL.

I don’t think that Newman will be a first round pick, but it won’t be because Newman isn’t as a good of an athlete as Mitch Trubisky.

Don’t dig yourself a deeper hole.

I've read a lot that Trubisky did really well in his interviews leading up to the draft, which when combined with his measureables caused him to skyrocket up draft boards and lead lots of teams to think that it was the system at UNC that was holding him back and not the fact that he's actually terrible.

Anyone with ESPN Insider able to saw where Newman ranks in this?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/...l-bowl-quarterbacks-their-nfl-draft-potential

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Jamie Newman, Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Year: Junior

Newman has seen his draft stock rise as much as any other prospect not named Joe Burrow. After a 75.8 passing grade on 156 dropbacks in 2018, Newman has had a massive breakout, with an 89.7 passing grade this season. His deep-ball touch is outstanding, and he already knows how to throw receivers open in tight coverage. His limitations as a passer were exposed, though, against Clemson when he went 6-of-14 for 41 yards with two picks. Going to an offense that will utilize his rushing ability will be key.

Bowl matchup: Michigan State in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl

First, Trubisky is 6'2" 215 lbs. Second, Newman is 6'4" 230 lbs. Third, Mitch Trubisky, world-class athlete - LOL.

I don’t think that Newman will be a first round pick, but it won’t be because Newman isn’t as a good of an athlete as Mitch Trubisky.

Don’t dig yourself a deeper hole.

Opinions vary. I'm fairly certain that Trubisky would win a 40 yard race against Newman. And rafi, for some reason, ignored the other part of the post. Curious.

Interviews couldn’t make up the huge gap in talent and production between Watson and Trubisky.

Seriously. He must be an amazing interview. He should go into politics.

well you see the way the Bears front office is set up

Unfortunately the Bears weren't the only ones who had Trubisky ahead of Watson - I remember lots of mock drafts that had Trubisky as the first QB off the board. The Bears were just the ones dumb enough to trade up when they didn't need to in order to draft him.

Last edited:
Back