• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Apparently Jamie was promised the starting spot. That's really a way to piss off kids already in the program. Not smart leaking that by Jamie's family

How long do you think it will take Kirby Smart to start someone else if Newman doesn’t win the job in spring/summer camp? Hope it works out for Newman. Enrolled at GA - does that mean he hasn’t yet graduated from Wake?

How long do you think it will take Kirby Smart to start someone else if Newman doesn’t win the job in spring/summer camp? Hope it works out for Newman. Enrolled at GA - does that mean he hasn’t yet graduated from Wake?

He got his Wake degree. Enrolling at GA in grad school. He can participate in strength and conditioning and speing practice by enrolling now.

This is one of the silver linings of all this. Biff spent this past season hyping up the Dawgs and ragging on Newman and looking down at Wake. Now he's dumbfounded that his fellow Georgia fans are hyped to have LOWF QB Jamie Newman and have anointed him as their starter.

Yeah, I'm totally shocked that college football fans are excited about something.

Biff...

Any chance for straight talk from you on Jaime Newman leaving Wake Forest and enrolling at Georgia to complete his college football career?

I would actually like to read your opinion on this matter.

I also think Newman would do well at Georgia until he had to make an accurate throw against a good defense under pressure.

Lol, okay. They've got the #3 recruiting class inthenation currently and it could wind up being #1.

The OL attrition is worse than you're recognizing. Aside from all the starters going pro, Cade Mays is transferring to Tennessee and his dad is suing the school and a chair manufacturer because he lost part of his pinky during a recruiting visit two years ago. Without a doubt, they'll use the lawsuit to try to apply for a hardship and immediate eligibility from the NCAA. Now departed OL coach Sam Pittman actually put the fingertip on ice.

Georgia will be fine at WR, especially with Pickens leading the way and three 4-stars coming in.

Georgia will also be fine at RB despite departures of Swift and Herrien. Zamir White (from Laurinburg) is ready to go, and all James cook (Delvin's nephew) needs is the ball in his hand. Dawgs are binging in a 4-star freshman from CA, Kendall Milton, who is the real deal. All you need to know about Zach Evans is that he's a head case. The fact that he was given an unconditional release from his LOI should tell you that Kirby doesn't give a shit where he goes at this point. Evans was suspended by his coaches from the Texas state high school football championship game because he wouldn't give up his cell phone before the game and got in a shouting match over it.

Georgia defense will be very good again in 2020. Maybe better than last year. If Jamie goes to Georgia he'll be well prepared for going back out on the field after just a few plays. The difference will be the the defense will have forced a punt or a turnover and he'll have decent field position, rather than the defense gave up a touchdown in six plays.

I'm not a big Newman fan, before or after his announcement. I think he's a selfish frontrunner who was unable to elevate his play against Clemson and Va Tech when the team needed him. Granted there was not much he could have done against Clemson, but he was terrible against Va Tech. Blame the coaches, blame the rest of the team, he didn't get the job done that night.

Georgia would likely have been an SEC and national championship contender with Fromm. Jamie is not as good as Jake and he's not met a single WR at Georgia (or any of his other possible destinations) but I think he could be successful at Georgia. Jake was limited as a runner but was given a lot of responsibility in the offense. I've said before that I thought he didn't use the whole field as much as he could have, and I think Jamie might be better at that. If Jamie uses his feet to buy time and make good decisions he could be very effective. If he buys some time and goes long, he's going to have a bunch of interceptions. I'm not sure how much of the game plan would include some designed runs, which would definitely benefit the offense and take advantage of Jamie's ability. They din't run Jake and it never looked very good when they ran Justin Fields. Either way, the offense will change at Georgia this year if Jamie is running it.

Now, there is a lot of downside potential for Jamie if he goes to Georgia. Carson Beck is a 4-star freshman QB who is already on campus and will almost certainly be the starter in 2021. If Jamie stinks it up early in the year, or gets injured yet again, he could be on the bench for a long time. Jake took over the starting QB job when Eason got hurt, so it's not like Kirby won't play a freshman if he's ready. Georgia plays at Alabama in Week 3. If Jamie thinks playing someplace other than Wake Forest for his final season will help showcase his abilities to NFL scouts, that's where he will have to prove it.

Also, almost nailed it !!!!

So much wrongness on this thread.

If Sam wants to be nearly guaranteed a starting job next year, he's probably going to have to move down a level in competition. He just got beat out by Jamie Newman, not Trevor Lawrence. Hartman is not transferring to a mid-level SEC school and starting next year. Although, if Fromm leaves Georgia after this year, Hartman could be the guy, depending on what Kirby brings in. Hartman would be safer in the pocket than in Clawson's RPO.

Also if Bryant had stayed with Clemson last year, he would have been inserted into the Syracuse game, when they really needed him, which would have been his fifth game.

Bryant is not "the kid who that you to a natty."

This article is great. I particularly liked this quote from DJ Shockley, "Athletic. Will be good in (the run-pass option) game and makes pretty good decisions."

I also liked this one from Pro Football Focus, "The tight-window passing he has put on display has been next level and a large reason why he is highly sought after on the transfer market." Yeah, his "tight-window passing" was so good because he had Surratt making unreal catches and Washington high-pointing balls.

Yeah, I'm totally shocked that college football fans are excited about something.

Biff, let me help you out as you flounder through this difficult time in your life. Nobody is reading your long posts trying to explain who UGA has at each position. Nobody. This should save you some time.

UGA now has 3 highly regarded QB's 6'4" or taller. Crazy.

Hard to argue with the decision at this point - Newman's plan couldn't have gone much better. Especially if the starting spot is actually promised to him - that seems insane considering the talent they have. UGA gets UVA and Alabama in 2 of their first 3 games next year - wonder what a 1-2 start would do to the fanbase assuming Newman struggles.

Here's a fun bet - does Jamie Newman start against Georgia Tech next year? I'd say no, but I hope I'm wrong.

Jamie Newman has ice water in his blood. You can toss out the "clutch" or "playmaker" gene all you want, but Jamie brought W's in for Wake time and time again. He may be phased by the defenses or athleticism in the SEC, but the man knows how to win. I think UGA can build around that.

Dude completely no-showed against a couple of absolutely shit teams this year. Just didn’t show up at all against teams like Louisville, Syracuse and MSU. The injury to Surratt was obviously an issue but he let the team down on numerous occasions. It’s going to be a pretty big step up against legit SEC competition.

UGA now has 3 highly regarded QB's 6'4" or taller. Crazy.

Hard to argue with the decision at this point - Newman's plan couldn't have gone much better. Especially if the starting spot is actually promised to him - that seems insane considering the talent they have. UGA gets UVA and Alabama in 2 of their first 3 games next year - wonder what a 1-2 start would do to the fanbase assuming Newman struggles.

Here's a fun bet - does Jamie Newman start against Georgia Tech next year? I'd say no, but I hope I'm wrong.

Oh yeah, SEC coaches absolutely specialize in “promises”. Kirby won’t hesitate for a second to put someone else in if he thinks Newman isn’t getting the job done.

Without Dave Clawson & Co. (Ruggerio, etc.) Jamie Newman would not ever have enrolled at Georgia. The Mit Shah's, Sutton's, McCreary's and many, many others have much to brag about quite frankly. It was the WF program that realized Newman's potential and developed it. Kirby Smart didn't. Dabo Swinney didn't. Dave Doeren didn't.

The next time a kid who has been developed at WF hears from an agent or pro scout about taking their talents elsewhere while holding a starting position at WF, never forget the Coach who will be your loudest and best voice to the NFL scouts when it really matters: Dave Clawson.

Our fanbase has been hyping up our players for decades. We finally had a QB who was actually SEC level and an NFL prospect and people are poo pooing him.

Not sure why Smart would have promised him a starting job in January and completely cut the legs from under his current QBs. Makes for a really awkward spring and fall camp.

I find this a little hard to believe.

Not sure why Smart would have promised him a starting job in January and completely cut the legs from under his current QBs. Makes for a really awkward spring and fall camp.

I find this a little hard to believe.

Seems obvious as, at least outside of this board, Newman is an experienced and highly regarded (ranked #3 returning QB by PFF after Lawrence and Fields) at a position of huge need for UGA. If they didn’t promise him the starting role, another school (e.g., Oregon) would have and he would have gone there instead.

In other words, Georgia needed Newman a lot more than Newman needed Georgia.

We lost 4 of Newman's last 5 starts. He'd be getting some negative press from the fans even if he'd stayed. He had a year of eligibility left and ditched us, this isn't rocket science. He's not the antichrist and he's not undeserving of of criticism.

I’m absolutely convinced Newman was promised the starting job. That means you start. It does not mean you necessarily finish the first game as the starter.

Our fanbase has been hyping up our players for decades. We finally had a QB who was actually SEC level and an NFL prospect and people are poo pooing him.

C'mon. Literally our last QB was "SEC level" (whatever that means, I'm pretty sure the ACC has more starting QBs in the NFL than the SEC).

People are just pointing out that Newman struggled the second half of the year, and then he bailed on his teammates.

We lost 4 of Newman's last 5 starts. He'd be getting some negative press from the fans even if he'd stayed. He had a year of eligibility left and ditched us, this isn't rocket science. He's not the antichrist and he's not undeserving of of criticism.

Perfect post. There would have been many fans on here arguing for Hartman to get more run if Newman stayed.

Back