• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

What was the "agreement".

Recruits in every sport make tacit agreements that they will stay at Wake for four years, stay eligible and do their best.

The coaches agree to do everything to maximize the young people as players and students.

Whether you want to use the word "agreement" or promise or obligation or whatever word you choose, it's a bargain that each makes.

Interesting that some people are in the know about "agreements" clawson has with players. My guess would be that if you redshirt and the coach wants you for 5 years then they see that as an investment in 4 years of returns on the field. Anything less would not be a 100% return on their investment. Surely Newman falls in this category and Clawson and crew arent't happy with Newman fulfilling his "agreement".

Yet every year we have players who redshirted and only played three years, yet Clawson honors them for Senior Day. Often Clawson has already recruited over them. We regularly have maybe 12 redshirt seniors and already have 18 commits.

14 months ago, it looked like Newman was going to be one of those players.

Last edited:
Recruits in every sport make tacit agreements that they will stay at Wake for four years, stay eligible and do their best.

The coaches agree to do everything to maximize the young people as players and students.

Whether you want to use the word "agreement" or promise or obligation or whatever word you choose, it's a bargain that each makes.

Stop talking out of your ass. There is no agreement that contributing players that are redshirted are not encouraged to honor the schools commitment to them. They can leave if graduated (per ncaa rules) but don't act like the school is not screwed over on their investment in them.

Call it whatever you want. Clawson recruits for spots that don't exist because it's not a 5 year commitment. Your argument is flawed.

Yet every year we have players who redshirted and only played three years, yet Clawson honors them for Senior Day. Often Clawson has already recruited over them. We regularly have maybe 12 redshirt seniors and already have 18 commits.

14 months ago, it looked like Newman was going to be one of those players.

Do we tell them they can’t come back or just give them a realistic appraisal of their likely role as a 5th year?

Oh boy

82fded1e87d43da094e9260a6be5f3b1.jpg
Who the fuck is Tyler Cameron? Isn't he the shitty QB "player" who couldn't even win the fourth string position and went on to be on some fake-ass "romantic" reality TV show on irrelevant ass ABC?

Who the fuck is Tyler Cameron? Isn't he the shitty QB "player" who couldn't even win the fourth string position and went on to be on some fake-ass "romantic" reality TV show on irrelevant ass ABC?

You can’t forget his 2 year reign in the C-USA as a TE. But yes.

Georgia writers happy that Newman has experience behind a questionable O-line. All five O-line starters are gone at UGA.

He had more yards on the ground this season at Wake than any UGA QB ever.

They expect he may be running for his life in some games.
He's gonna love that.

Georgia writers happy that Newman has experience behind a questionable O-line. All five O-line starters are gone at UGA.

He had more yards on the ground this season at Wake than any UGA QB ever.

They expect he may be running for his life in some games.
He's gonna love that.

Links? Thanks.

No matter how many times OGB has tried to put words in my mouth. I'm not saying that. If you look, I've said it's Jamie and his family's decision. He's lived up to his agreement with Wake.

Our PTO is completely different than anyone's. This is undeniable.

Many here talk about loyalty, but have none unless it fits nicely into their own selfish definition.

It looks like Georgia offers 10 hours/month, or approximately three weeks/year of PTO for their employees of 5 years or less. At Wake, employees are offered 5 weeks PTO if they've been employed for less than five years. So, from a PTO perspective, it looks like he will be taking a definite step back.

And, yes, it is selfish to want Wake Forest to succeed. That's the nature of competition. My happiness comes at the expense of inflecting sadness on someone else, to wit, the coaches, players, and fans of an opposing team. It is particularly selfish when I'm pulling for a tiny school like Wake Forest that is competing against a much larger school that has a fanbase ten times the size of ours. Yet I will gladly and selfishly pull for Wake to win, even though that means many more people will come away disappointed.

If WF is really as low on the totem pole as the LOWF Losers believe (and it's not), then I will also hope for recruits and players to make decisions that will benefit, me, Wake Forest, and my selfish interest in having Wake Forest win football games. I will hope for highly-rated recruits like Greene and Groulx (and Whitter and Cross) to choose Wake over offers from "better" programs. I will hope for low-rated but overachieving recruits like Haynes and Bassey (and Newman) to stay at Wake rather than to transfer to "better" programs when they succeed. I will hope for pro prospects like Basham and Surratt (and Bates and Dortch) to stay at Wake for an extra year or two. All of these hopes are selfish, and all of them are necessary, or at least helpful, to growing our program.

That does not mean that if those players do not make the choices that I prefer, that it is reasonable or justified to blame them for it, much less to go ballistic like wfu22fan. I have condemned his behavior multiple times on this thread already. However, if you have a fanbase that values winning over sportsmanship, you should expect disappointment and some degree of backlash against a decision like this.

It looks like Georgia offers 10 hours/month, or approximately three weeks/year of PTO for their employees of 5 years or less. At Wake, employees are offered 5 weeks PTO if they've been employed for less than five years. So, from a PTO perspective, it looks like he will be taking a definite step back.

And, yes, it is selfish to want Wake Forest to succeed. That's the nature of competition. My happiness comes at the expense of inflecting sadness on someone else, to wit, the coaches, players, and fans of an opposing team. It is particularly selfish when I'm pulling for a tiny school like Wake Forest that is competing against a much larger school that has a fanbase ten times the size of ours. Yet I will gladly and selfishly pull for Wake to win, even though that means many more people will come away disappointed.

If WF is really as low on the totem pole as the LOWF Losers believe (and it's not), then I will also hope for recruits and players to make decisions that will benefit, me, Wake Forest, and my selfish interest in having Wake Forest win football games. I will hope for highly-rated recruits like Greene and Groulx (and Whitter and Cross) to choose Wake over offers from "better" programs. I will hope for low-rated but overachieving recruits like Haynes and Bassey (and Newman) to stay at Wake rather than to transfer to "better" programs when they succeed. I will hope for pro prospects like Basham and Surratt (and Bates and Dortch) to stay at Wake for an extra year or two. All of these hopes are selfish, and all of them are necessary, or at least helpful, to growing our program.

That does not mean that if those players do not make the choices that I prefer, that it is reasonable or justified to blame them for it, much less to go ballistic like wfu22fan. I have condemned his behavior multiple times on this thread already. However, if you have a fanbase that values winning over sportsmanship, you should expect disappointment and some degree of backlash against a decision like this.

OldGoldBeard 2020

Back