• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Mark Richt has said that Jamie will be the best QB in the SEC next season. He based that on watching him all season at Wake. High praise from a former SEC coach.

BTW, has Clawson made any public statement about this situation?

Like Richt, but Kyle Trask and his 25/7 ratio and 2941 passing yards against a brutal schedule say hello.

Not sure I follow... is this you attempting to be clever?

Here is your last line:

He certainly can do whatever he wants, but he and I clearly do not share the same values.

How should one interpret that? Define loyalty to you. Am I to assume that if you work for Ford motor company as a middle manager for $100,000 job and your desire is to work for BMW in Germany doing X, that if Nissan came along and offered you a job for $101,000 and you felt that particular job, even though it is also middle mgmt, gave you an easier pathway to a job at BMW IN Germanmy, you'd turn down the Nissan job offer because Ford gave you your first big opportunity and your loyalty to Ford is more important than the dream job at BMW?

Your analogy doesn’t work. He has one year of eligibility remaining. He left the school that propelled him to possible NFL draft pick to improve his draft stock. I disagree that UGA improves his draft stock and it hurts his friends, teammates, and a university that I would think most would find a degree of loyalty to.

Your analogy doesn’t work. He has one year of eligibility remaining. He left the school that propelled him to possible NFL draft pick to improve his draft stock. I disagree that UGA improves his draft stock and it hurts his friends, teammates, and a university that I would think most would find a degree of loyalty to.

What if experts (agents, NFL execs and maybe even NFL coaches) told him it WOULD help his future to go to another school for his last year?

What if experts (agents, NFL execs and maybe even NFL coaches) told him it WOULD help his future to go to another school for his last year?

Then he likely committed violations by talking to them given the time frame and we’ll not only lose him as a QB but also get in trouble.

It’s an LOWF attitude to say that Georgia and Wake aren’t the same tier. We are both schools in a P5 conference.

So, the “tier” is just being in a P5 conference? Thank goodness because if the tier was determined by games won, bowl games won, players recruited, players in the pros, financial resources, revenue generated, fan support, etc.... then, there isn’t a person in their right mind who would say Wake and Georgia are in the same tier in football.

We play the same level of competition, so the sample size and competition for the NFL is the same. That was my point. Of course they are more of a traditional football factory than we are.

I’d be curious to hear that if true and why they think that.

It seems like there are a lot of personal feelings generated by Jaime Newman leaving Wake Forest and choosing Georgia to complete his final year of football eligibility. If I'm not mistaken, college football is a multi-billion dollar business. For a small percentage of college football players it may become a prelude to professional football, another multi-billion dollar business. Newman may be making a business decision. I doubt there is anyone posting on this subject with any information from Jaime Newman or Dave Clawson that could/would provide factual insight into Newman's decision. I haven't read any yet. In situations like this it may be wise to remember a phrase most of us have used to explain our actions...it's not personal, it's simply business.

I’d be curious to hear that if true and why they think that.

Regardless of whether you agree with them or not, wouldn't listening to people who make a living at this over others?

For your position to be accurate, Jamie and his family would have had to go into this without any help and not caring at all about how it would impact his reputation. This is a young man who accepted being red-shirted, accepted being on the bench (we didn't hear a peep from his family either), but all of a sudden turned into a totally self-absorbed, selfish d-bag. That doesn't sound logical.

Wouldn't it make more sense if his choice was made due to input from professionals?

I really don’t get the people getting so bent out of shape over this transfer because Hartman has us in a really good position for next year. If we didn’t have talent behind Newman then I could understand being pissed off. But this seems like a win win for both sides.

Whole lotta angst about one guy transferring.

Same guy they wanted benched too.

And they’ll be the same ones pissed if he reps UGA instead of Wake on SNF.

Regardless of whether you agree with them or not, wouldn't listening to people who make a living at this over others?

For your position to be accurate, Jamie and his family would have had to go into this without any help and not caring at all about how it would impact his reputation. This is a young man who accepted being red-shirted, accepted being on the bench (we didn't hear a peep from his family either), but all of a sudden turned into a totally self-absorbed, selfish d-bag. That doesn't sound logical.

Wouldn't it make more sense if his choice was made due to input from professionals?

Sure it would make more sense but I doubt he got this deep of a scouting report from a reliable source and I would like to know what Clawson thought about it.

Georgia writers happy that Newman has experience behind a questionable O-line. All five O-line starters are gone at UGA.

He had more yards on the ground this season at Wake than any UGA QB ever.

They expect he may be running for his life in some games.
He's gonna love that.

I called this earlier in the weekend with UGA line attrition. Jamie may wish for tall receivers who can snag quick throws. I doubt he will have any more time than he did with us going against Bama, Auburn and FL.

Sure it would make more sense but I doubt he got this deep of a scouting report from a reliable source and I would like to know what Clawson thought about it.

Doesn't Clawson help NFL prospects get feedback from NFL scouts?

At the end of the day, it's pretty clear that Newman and co. feel like Wake, the coaches, WR's held him back from reaching his full potential. This is what bugs me the most.

I was bugged by his language in this process but we will see about how the other turns out.

A lot of people thought I was crazy for this take but I felt like Jaime was going to have to fight for the starting job at Wake. Looks like he'll have an easier time snagging the starting role at UGA than he would have at Wake. As long as he actually plays UGA obviously improves his draft stock. National spotlight. New set of coaches to further develop you.

The only thing I really care about at this point is Hartman having a good season. And making sure Jaime still claims Wake Forest if he ever plays in the NFL...

Back