• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Newman with the 5th best 2020 season Heisman odds currently (tied with a couple others).

Fields +175
Lawrence +550
Martinez/Rattler +1200
King/Newman/Ehlinger +1600

Read my post from last night.

I just read your posts from last night on this thread and I don't know what you're getting at. Newman chose to grad transfer to get better training for the NFL. When you boil down his announcement, that's what it says.

Yeah. So what don't you understand?

Yeah. So what don't you understand?

I don't understand why you think "we're the only ones who think Wake was holding him back," when Newman is saying exactly that, whoever is advising him (NFL contacts) is saying exactly that, and everyone is left to believe exactly that.

Not if Hartman excels at Wake.

Keep in mind the current narrative is already that Newman is one of the top returning QBs based on what he did at Wake. I think we are the only ones who think Wake was holding him back.

If he's a top returning QB based on what he did at Wake, why is he leaving Wake ? He obviously thinks Wake is a problem in his development. That's not a good thing for quarterbacks with NFL potential to hear. So i guess you're right that Hartman having a good or great year would prove that Wake can develop quarterbacks, but the question will remain whether Wake can fully develop an QB with NFL potential, especially as long as the first one we've had in forever feels that Wake cound not develop him all the way to the NFL.

Where do you see Newman say that NFL contacts told him to leave Wake?

I haven’t seen that.

Newman with the 5th best 2020 season Heisman odds currently (tied with a couple others).

Fields +175
Lawrence +550
Martinez/Rattler +1200
King/Newman/Ehlinger +1600

For the people that asked earlier in this thread, "what starting QBs have ever entered the transfer portal", D'Eriq King just announced he is in the portal. Probably a good thing Newman announced when he did.

I haven’t seen that.

Nobody said it was. What are you all arguing? The story seems pretty simple. Newman got NFL feedback that convinced him not to put his name into the draft. They told them some things they wanted to see from him next year. Newman talked it over with his family and they thought it would be best for him to go elsewhere to prepare for the 2021 draft.

Even on this board, people were saying Hartman should have played more in the last two games and it should be an open QB competition in the Spring. It may be as simple as Newman wanting to be the clear starter.

You really want to dance around and say that he didn't conclude that he needed to leave Wake, at least partly based on the feedback he received ?

Maybe Newman was just ready to move on and experience something different. Sort of a student moving on to get their graduate credentials at a different place. Maybe he wanted to play on a bigger stage than the ACC. Maybe, who knows. We can only speculate what all went into his decision. I am going to be curious to see what Jamie can do playing a much more competitive SEC schedule on a team with great expectations and more "big" games. Transfer "free agency" is the new college landscape and Wake is in the middle of it so get used to it. No one seems to question why transfers come to us- we really would have liked for Miles Fox to have played this year Jamie is gone. Works both ways. Much more concerned about who is here suiting up for the Deacs.

I didn't know who "Rattler" was (the guy with 12 to 1 odds to win the Heisman along with Adrian Martinez). Spencer Rattler was the # 1 rated pro-style QB in the HS class of 2019 and is the next in line to start at QB for Oklahoma. In his first 3 years as OU HC, Riley has had a different QB each year, and each one was a Heisman finalist. So, I guess it makes sense that Rattler is a top Heisman candidate even though he has thrown 11 passes in his college career.

Last edited:

I haven’t seen that.

Conor's Article

He chose to pursue the transfer route because NFL scouts expressed a desire to see him outside of Wake Forest’s run-pass option offense, the source explained, and Newman’s desire to be a first-round draft pick meant entering the portal to see other options.

Nobody said it was. What are you all arguing? The story seems pretty simple. Newman got NFL feedback that convinced him not to put his name into the draft. They told them some things they wanted to see from him next year. Newman talked it over with his family and they thought it would be best for him to go elsewhere to prepare for the 2021 draft.

Even on this board, people were saying Hartman should have played more in the last two games and it should be an open QB competition in the Spring. It may be as simple as Newman wanting to be the clear starter.

You really want to dance around and say that he didn't conclude that he needed to leave Wake, at least partly based on the feedback he received ?

How am I dancing around something I specifically said.

Thanks. Interpretation depends on the identity of the source, but at face value it looks like the NFL scouts are to blame.

How am I dancing around something I specifically said?

Thanks. Interpretation depends on the identity of the source, but at face value it looks like the NFL scouts are to blame. Looks like Clawson and Ruggeiro have to decide how they want to account for NFL development.

Maybe Newman was just ready to move on and experience something different. Sort of a student moving on to get their graduate credentials at a different place. Maybe he wanted to play on a bigger stage than the ACC. Maybe, who knows. We can only speculate what all went into his decision. I am going to be curious to see what Jamie can do playing a much more competitive SEC schedule on a team with great expectations and more "big" games. Transfer "free agency" is the new college landscape and Wake is in the middle of it so get used to it. No one seems to question why transfers come to us- we really would have liked for Miles Fox to have played this year Jamie is gone. Works both ways. Much more concerned about who is here suiting up for the Deacs.

This!

I don't understand why you think "we're the only ones who think Wake was holding him back," when Newman is saying exactly that, whoever is advising him (NFL contacts) is saying exactly that, and everyone is left to believe exactly that.

If he's a top returning QB based on what he did at Wake, why is he leaving Wake ? He obviously thinks Wake is a problem in his development. That's not a good thing for quarterbacks with NFL potential to hear. So i guess you're right that Hartman having a good or great year would prove that Wake can develop quarterbacks, but the question will remain whether Wake can fully develop an QB with NFL potential, especially as long as the first one we've had in forever feels that Wake cound not develop him all the way to the NFL.

Given the current list of QB's in the NFL and where they came from I think it's fair to say that you actually don't want to be a QB coming from the SEC. May help you get drafted sooner, but long term success as an NFL QB shows little to know correllation to coming out of the SEC. You would much prefer to be in the ACC actually. I have theories on that but just guesses. We will see how this new crop does, lot of the QB's coming out of the SEC this year and next will be really impressive on paper.

First, it's tampering for any NFL team to contact a player with college eligibility remaining (no NFL team is going to risk getting dinged to give Jamie Newman transfer advice based on the off-chance that a year from he now they are the one team out of thirty with a shot to draft Newman). Second, NFL teams aren't buzzing around the families of RS juniors telling them that they should transfer; it's a bad look in an coaching fraternity that isn't that big. Third, NFL teams will find you wherever you play. Put less than zero credence in any claim that any NFL team counseled or otherwise in any way advised Jamie Newman to transfer.

With that said, when agents/handlers sniff potential NFL money, they will get involved, and will give cockeyed advice that is akin to a lot of the crap that is posted on this board (e.g., need to play in a more pro style offense).

This thread has become so LOWF; now, the NFL is conspiring against WF and specifically Clawson's offense to get involved in the transfer decisions of the players on the WF roster?

Last edited:
First, it's tampering for any NFL team to contact a player with college eligibility remaining (no NFL team is going to risk getting dinged to give Jamie Newman transfer advice based on the off-chance that a year from he now they are the one team out of thirty with a shot to draft Newman). Second, NFL teams aren't buzzing around the families of RS juniors telling them that they should transfer; it's bad look in an coaching fraternity that isn't that big. Third, NFL teams will find you wherever you play. Put less than zero credence any claim that any NFL team counseled or otherwise in any way advised Jamie Newman to transfer.

With that said, when agents/handlers sniff potential NFL money, they will get involved, and will give cockeyed advice that is akin to a lot of the crap that is posted on this board (e.g., need to play in a more pro style offense).

This thread has become so LOWF; now, the NFL is conspiring against WF and specifically Clawson's offense to get involved in the transfer decisions of the players on the WF roster?

agree with the first two paragraphs; the way I have seen the process outlined multiple times is that Clawson solicits feedback and shares with his guys; highly doubt he'd receive, much less share, feedback that Newman should transfer out

Don't agree with the third - don't see who is claiming the NFL is conspiring against WF or anything in that neighborhood (or on that planet)

the prevailing pro-Newman sentiment here is that he made a choice in his own best interest for his career; while I believe he did in fact intend to make his best possible decision, the purpose of me asking from whom he received the advice (being fully aware of the quote from Conor's article) is to call into question whether that advice was actually good advice (or perhaps self-serving or at a minimum, highly misinterpreted)

for example, I would imagine it doesn't hurt Quincy Avery to get some publicity from Newman working out with him, and now transferring to Georgia

For clairty, actual NFL coaches and staff and NFL contacts are not the same thing in my mind.

Back