• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

And Newman's not winning the fucking Heisman. Just stop it.

<Sets iPhone for 2020 Heisman ceremony to watch Newman accept Heisman.>

It will be awesome when Newman leads Georgia to the National Championship and every pass is a little prick in Biff's side.

But it's still an apples to oranges comparison as Burrow was buried as a third and second string QB. He was behind Haskins on the depth chart, who was a year behind him.

Newman was a successful starting quarterback on a winning team. It is a total knife in the back to the coach, the teammates, the school, and the fans.

Exactly, Biff.

Dude that's not the point. I was just saying if Newman succeeds at UGA, but is publicly grateful to Wake (especially as much as Burrow has been to OSU), we'll all still love him regardless of why he left.

But it's still an apples to oranges comparison as Burrow was buried as a third and second string QB. He was behind Haskins on the depth chart, who was a year behind him.

Newman was a successful starting quarterback on a winning team. It is a total knife in the back to the coach, the teammates, the school, and the fans.

Facepalm

Has Biff always been a total drama queen?

If Jamie Newman won the Heisman next year it would do absolutely jack squat for Wake and everything for UGA.
No one, I mean NO ONE, cares a bit about where a guy was *before* he won a big sports trophy, they care where was * WHEN* he won it.
Jesus, there's a ton of LOWF Think in this damn fanbase.

This is very true, I think. If anything it would be negative for Wake - the message would be that you have to leave Wake Forest to get the exposure and the supporting cast needed to win big awards. Sure people would talk about where he came from but only in the context of how great the move was for him.

I'm not really butthurt about him leaving - he has to make his own decisions. In the end it is all a business and loyalty doesn't really play into anything either direction. But, I happen to think him leaving could be a big mistake. He is going to have more competition for playing time where he is going and a shorter leash - do you think UGA fans (or coaches) are going to be very patient with the transfer from LOWF if/when he has a bad game or two?

The thing about the move that could upset people is what it appears to say about Wake as a program. Because he had success here and was the presumed starter going into next season, the move is more comparable to a coach leaving for a 'bigger' program than it is to your typical player transfer.

In any event, I don't have any ill will toward Newman for leaving and I will follow his stats next year with casual interest. I will appreciate it if he says nice things about the Wake program and the development he experienced under our coaching staff while he was here.

"Newman will be playing in an Air Raid offense"

"Georgia included RPO elements in last season’s offense, and Monken said last year that RPOs are “where football has been and that’s been my background.” "

So essentially Jamie will be playing in the same offense. When you consider the Deacs averaged over 330 yds/game passing for the 1st 6 games which included Clawson shutting down our O in the 2nd half vs. UNC and an incredibly windy BC you could easily have said our offense had Air Raid as well. Then the injury along with loss of Surratt/Washington and he just really struggled. Hope those young'un OL for the Dawgs are ready to go or Jamie will be doing a lot more running against the SEC Ds.

"Newman will be playing in an Air Raid offense"

"Georgia included RPO elements in last season’s offense, and Monken said last year that RPOs are “where football has been and that’s been my background.” "

So essentially Jamie will be playing in the same offense. When you consider the Deacs averaged over 330 yds/game passing for the 1st 6 games which included Clawson shutting down our O in the 2nd half vs. UNC and an incredibly windy BC you could easily have said our offense had Air Raid as well. Then the injury along with loss of Surratt/Washington and he just really struggled. Hope those young'un OL for the Dawgs are ready to go or Jamie will be doing a lot more running against the SEC Ds.

Our RPO is different than anyone else's. Ours comes to a dead stop before making a decision which is why good teams stop it.

Our RPO is different than anyone else's. Ours comes to a dead stop before making a decision which is why good teams stop it.

Others have pointed out that one reason ours is SO slow is that Newman was slower with the read - and that it speeds up when Hartman runs it. I can't say for sure that is true but I guess we shall see next year...

Newman was awesome and I've provided my thoughts on the situation before so I'll skip that part.

I agree that the reason our RPO was so slow last season was partially due to Jamie's reads. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But, the offense did not look like that when Wolford was running it his senior year.

The thing that gets me is slowing the RB to a stop. Very few have enough acceleration to make this work as well as it should.

The thing that gets me is slowing the RB to a stop. Very few have enough acceleration to make them.

especially when the running back is ...ahem...cade carney. I like Carney, but I like him with a full head of steam, not slowed to stop and then have to accelerate quickly.

When Jamie has a much longer than usual mesh point/slower decision making at UGA next year, then what? Still on Clawson?

Back