• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

DeacAssured

Reaction score
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...n_bd02bd71-d0a2-5b21-822d-7abb962ca0d2.html#1

Next year with Basham, Surratt, Newman, Hartman and others, WF could be a very formidable team to beat. Basham and Surratt could play one more college year and put themselves squarely between Rounds 1 and 2 of NFL Draft. I hope they both return.

I imagine Basham would like another shot at:
NOTRE DAME,
and all of them surely want rematches with:
LOUISVILLE
SYRACUSE
CLEMSON, and
#20 APPALACHIAN STATE which thinks they should have won in 2018.

Last edited:
Selfishly, we all agree. It's too nice to even think about. The players will do what's best for them and but I would think Basham and Newman will get positive feedback on their draft stock. We'll be fine either way but loaded if we they all choose to come back.

Selfishly, we all agree. It's too nice to even think about. The players will do what's best for them and but I would think Basham and Newman will get positive feedback on their draft stock. We'll be fine either way but loaded if we they all choose to come back.

Newman is going he ruined that towards the end of the season and he’s got to prove he can stay healthy

Wake's bowl game may have significant bearing on Newman's decision. Does he develop rapport and confidence with a new set of receivers? Does his accuracy return with more time for his shoulder to heal?

With Sage, its going to be about durability. How much will his draft position improve if he returns to Wake and plays a whole season like he did for the first 3/4 of this season?

Boogie has drawn a lot of respect from opposing O-coordinators, as they have double teamed him a lot. He really doesn't need to show anything more in college. Staying at Wake would be a heart over head decision.

Am curious how many star DL and Edge rushers at Top 20 schools leave early as compared to WF?

And am curious how many players at Top 20 schools leave early as compared to WF, if anyone really knows?

I think Newman would be lucky to go 3rd round at this point. I can't guarantee he is a 1st/2nd round talent next year, but if he can stay healthy and put up numbers close to this year, he might.

Am curious how many star DL and Edge rushers at Top 20 schools leave early as compared to WF?

And am curious how many players at Top 20 schools leave early as compared to WF, if anyone really knows?

here's last year's list according to wikipedia

When you go to wake, you aren’t necessarily certain you are making it to the NFL. When that opportunity pops up, those players jump at it. Even so that you’ll have undersized receivers leave when their prospects are low.

I also think Boogie likely leaves as he seems to have maximized his draft stock. I will be bummed if we lose an outstanding talent at WR two years in a row and selfishly hope Sage returns.

Feels like we were really deprived of seeing Sage at his peak for a full season. Hope he decides to give it another year. The 2020 WR class is absolutely loaded so that should help us a bit (selfishly).

A quick glance evaluation suggested about 1/3 of those did not get drafted. Not great odds to leave. Also, as Wake guys have usually red-shirted they would be 1 year closer to a degree. Maybe that would factor to some.
Does Wake have a way to help guys $ come back to finish their degree?

Last edited:
I think Newman would be lucky to go 3rd round at this point. I can't guarantee he is a 1st/2nd round talent next year, but if he can stay healthy and put up numbers close to this year, he might.

Agreed. I think had he put up some good numbers against VT/Klempsun, I'd be worried. The guys who come back next year will have some nice opportunities next year against some "higher profile" teams at home and in BOA stadium. ND, Clemson, Miami.

I also think Boogie is gone. Newman I think is back...All-ACC HM doesn't spell high draft pick. Sage I hope comes back. I think he would benefit by showing he could do it over a full season and would have All ACC and All American expectations going into the season.

I also think Boogie is gone. Newman I think is back...All-ACC HM doesn't spell high draft pick. Sage I hope comes back. I think he would benefit by showing he could do it over a full season and would have All ACC and All American expectations going into the season.

Right or wrong, NFL teams don't give a shit about honors like that. Trubisky was 3rd team All-ACC and was the #2 pick. They want measurables, and Newman has size, speed, arm strength, and a quick release. They figure they can coach the rest. Basically the exact opposite of Dortch, it wouldn't surprise me if the NFL scouts graded him higher than his on-field performance would indicate.

Basham getting graded anywhere from round 2 to round 4. Most are round 2 or 3. Some NFL scouts have said Newman and Surratt should come back for another year at Wake. They are high on Newman's measurables, but the VT, Clemson and Syracuse games have hurt his stock. Wouldn't be surprised if they both came back to Wake.

Right or wrong, NFL teams don't give a shit about honors like that. Trubisky was 3rd team All-ACC and was the #2 pick. They want measurables, and Newman has size, speed, arm strength, and a quick release. They figure they can coach the rest. Basically the exact opposite of Dortch, it wouldn't surprise me if the NFL scouts graded him higher than his on-field performance would indicate.

FTR, Trubisky was 3rd team behind Lamar Jackson and Deshawn Watson. Newman was Honorable Mention behind Trevor Lawrence, Bryce Perkins, and Sam Howell.

FTR, Trubisky was 3rd team behind Lamar Jackson and Deshawn Watson. Newman was Honorable Mention behind Trevor Lawrence, Bryce Perkins, and Sam Howell.

Daniel Jones was lower than Honorable Mention behind Finley, Lawrence, Eric Dungey, and Perkins

Back