• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

By declaring before early signing day, players allow their coaches to sign a recruit to their scholarship. Guys are going to make decisions in the next week.

Don't think that's how it works, except for early enrollees. They don't count against your 85 until they start receiving aid.

CBS has a full mock draft up:

Boogie #47 (2nd) to Eagles
Bassey #80 (3rd) to Raiders
Newman #122 (4th) to Bucs
Strnad #195 (6th) to Browns
Herron #230 (7th) to Patriots

They don't think Surratt is going pro or going but being drafted.

I can’t find the link, but I saw that mock too and I’m pretty sure they had Surratt in the 4th as well. But I could be wrong

Full mock draft here

Boogie #47 (2nd) to Eagles
Bassey #80 (3rd) to Raiders
Newman #122 (4th) to Bucs
Surratt #125 (4th) to Colts
Strnad #195 (6th) to Browns
Herron #230 (7th) to Patriots

That mock also has David Woodward, LB for Utah State who lit us up, going right before Surratt. Googled him and found out he was injured early Nov. Had 93 tackles in 7 games

by the way, that mock has WF and Clemson leading the ACC with 6 picks each

Don't think that's how it works, except for early enrollees. They don't count against your 85 until they start receiving aid.

Correct, in that signees don't count against the 85 until this summer.

However, if a current undergraduate player who has eligibility for 2020 is planning on leaving, and not being on the roster in September, it is helpful to his coaches if they know this now and can find and sign somebody for his scholly for next fall.

Or, as you noted, it may be possible to have an additional early signee enroll in January if the early departee is not part of the roster in the spring.

That mock also has David Woodward, LB for Utah State who lit us up, going right before Surratt. Googled him and found out he was injured early Nov. Had 93 tackles in 7 games

A shame he was injured. He's a heck of an LB

Ditto for Strnad

by the way, that mock has WF and Clemson leading the ACC with 6 picks each

Love to see that especially since some of our guys may be coming back.

We need to find a transfer CB or a starting True-FR CB.

Syracuse, we used some 3 CB sets, and it was not good (the 3rd CB in particular).

Strnad looks more like a safety than an NFL LB, but he doesn't have the wheels for that

LB is kind of a weird position for the draft because every team has different formations (3-4 vs. 4-3) and philosophies for how to use their LBs. 4-3 LBs don't rotate out as much as pass rushers in a 3-4 so there isn't as much need for depth. Plus a mid to late round rookie LB will probably have to show they can play on special teams. So it's tough for teams to project how a star college LB is going to do in their specific system which could result in some quality players sliding deep in the draft.

I'd be ecstatic if the Panthers pick the USU LB and let him train under Luke for a few seasons and allow Luke to play fewer reps.

Strnad excels in pass coverage, which is a valued commodity for NFL teams. Could see Strnad having a role as a situational hybrid LB/SS for an NFL team.

Strnad excels in pass coverage, which is a valued commodity for NFL teams. Could see Strnad having a role as a situational hybrid LB/SS for an NFL team.

Right. Which speaks to my post above. Which teams utilize a hybrid LB/SS on 3rd and long vs. nickel formation? Which teams have a need there?

Things like this are why it's not that bad at all for a LB to get a late round grade. If he gets picked by a team that needs him, he'll get a good chance. But a mid-round QB and WR aren't in a great position.

Right. Which speaks to my post above. Which teams utilize a hybrid LB/SS on 3rd and long vs. nickel formation? Which teams have a need there.

So you're saying it's a niche, like five-and-a-half-foot wide receivers.

Right. Which speaks to my post above. Which teams utilize a hybrid LB/SS on 3rd and long vs. nickel formation? Which teams have a need there?

Things like this are why it's not that bad at all for a LB to get a late round grade. If he gets picked by a team that needs him, he'll get a good chance. But a mid-round QB and WR aren't in a great position.

Shaq Thompson and Thomas Davis were both SS that moved down to LB. Don't think Strnad has their level of speed/athleticism, though.

Back