• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

14 All ACC selections -- most in Wake history

The coaching staff didn't trust or use the backup receivers much until Newman went down ... ?

Jamie clearly didn't have as much faith throwing to Claude/Greene/Jones as he did Surratt and Washington. Or as much faith as Hartman had throwing to them. And that's ... the coaching staff's fault? Unless Clawson is flat out lying about working in the 2nd-string receivers so that they have chemistry with the 1st offense, there's no excuse for Newman to not have at least some rapport with them.
We didn’t pass much (or do much of anything) against Clemson. I think Greene caught 2 short passes and was targeted on one long pass. Hinton caught a few short passes. The rest of the passes were dropped. Against Duke, Clawson said the game plan was to run and throw to Hinton. We did both of those things well. Greene was targeted once and caught it one handed for a huge first down in the 4th quarter. In the Syracuse game, Newman got off to a slow start and was injured early in the game. Hartman seemed much more confortable throwing to Greene, Jones and Claude, likely because of his reps with them in practice all fall. So while Newman didn’t finish strong, new receivers, more running, his injury, and Clemson explain the decrease in his offensive production. On the other hand, Sam finished against NCSU (depleted secondary), and 3 other average teams with his top recovers Brown and ?.

We didn’t pass much (or do much of anything) against Clemson. I think Greene caught 2 short passes and was targeted on one long pass. Hinton caught a few short passes. The rest of the passes were dropped. Against Duke, Clawson said the game plan was to run and throw to Hinton. We did both of those things well. Greene was targeted once and caught it one handed for a huge first down in the 4th quarter. In the Syracuse game, Newman got off to a slow start and was injured early in the game. Hartman seemed much more confortable throwing to Greene, Jones and Claude, likely because of his reps with them in practice all fall. So while Newman didn’t finish strong, new receivers, more running, his injury, and Clemson explain the decrease in his offensive production. On the other hand, Sam finished against NCSU (depleted secondary), and 3 other average teams with his top recovers Brown and ?.

Where did you see/hear him say the part specifically about throwing to Hinton?

Are you sure these are the only excuses? Do you want to try to come up with more?

Where did you see/hear him say the part specifically about throwing to Hinton?

Are you sure these are the only excuses? Do you want to try to come up with more?

Clawson said it during the post game TV interview and perhaps at his press conference. I’m not making up excuses for Newman. You are the WF beat writer and have passed over John Collins in favor of a Duke player for ACC player of the year and picked Sam Howell over Jamie Newman for All-ACC. You do a nice job covering the Deacs but in close votes, you should favor the WF players. Don’t you think the Greenville/Spartanburg writers favor Clemson? If WF can’t get some love from their local beat writer, where are they going to get it?

Clawson said it during the post game TV interview and perhaps at his press conference. I’m not making up excuses for Newman. You are the WF beat writer and have passed over John Collins in favor of a Duke player for ACC player of the year and picked Sam Howell over Jamie Newman for All-ACC. You do a nice job covering the Deacs but in close votes, you should favor the WF players. Don’t you think the Greenville/Spartanburg writers favor Clemson? If WF can’t get some love from their local beat writer, where are they going to get it?

You blaming me for something that happened 6 months before I took the beat tells me everything I need to know here. I'm glad we arrived at this point.

Btw, in case you're interested in facts: Kegan Lowe voted for Justin Jackson for ACC POY. Both of them went to UNC.

You are the WF beat writer and have passed over John Collins in favor of a Duke player for ACC player of the year and picked Sam Howell over Jamie Newman for All-ACC. You do a nice job covering the Deacs but in close votes, you should favor the WF players. Don’t you think the Greenville/Spartanburg writers favor Clemson? If WF can’t get some love from their local beat writer, where are they going to get it?

This is very, very, very dumb. Bootlicking sportswriters who toe the line and don’t question things are part of how we get 10 years of incompetence in our flagship program.

Lol, if Greene isn't unanimous ACCPOY next year wfu22fan is gonna go HAM on the whole ACC media.

Lol, if Greene isn't unanimous ACCPOY next year wfu22fan is gonna go HAM on the whole ACC media.

The media will have a steady diet of pictures of Greene with his shirt off fed to them by 22 I'm sure.

This is very, very, very dumb. Bootlicking sportswriters who toe the line and don’t question things are part of how we get 10 years of incompetence in our flagship program.

I fail to see the logic in this statement. How does a WF beat writer voting for Newman over a UNC freshman on second team All-ACC QB in a close call relate to Bzz, Wellman and Manning?

I fail to see the logic in this statement. How does a WF beat writer voting for Newman over a UNC freshman on second team All-ACC QB in a close call relate to Bzz, Wellman and Manning?

Because it means the writer is not inclined to go with their gut and give an honest assessment about the program, instead preferring to stay in Wake's good graces.

That Kegan bro was a total douche. Conor is light years better.

Because it means the writer is not inclined to go with their gut and give an honest assessment about the program, instead preferring to stay in Wake's good graces.

Are you saying Dan did this? I think he toed the line very well.

No problem with Howell over Newman.

Conference only passing stats...

Howell - 25 tds, 5 ints, 305.6 ypg
Newman - 11 tds, 8 ints, 202.1 ypg

Of course Newman is the better runner, but there's huge difference in their passing stats. Newman played poorly in 3 of our last 4 games and sat out against Florida State. He probably would have been 1st team through the first half of the season.

Collins absolutely should have been player of the year. It was obvious he was the best player and based on our last few years, we may have even underestimated how good he was.

Are you saying Dan did this? I think he toed the line very well.

I am saying I am happy to have a beat writer who speaks their mind and doesn't try to curry favor with Wake's AD in their voting and coverage. We bitch and moan when local Triangle writers favor their teams, so why do we want ours to do the same?

Back