Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: 14 All ACC selections -- most in Wake history

  1. #41
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    105,721
    Quote Originally Posted by qcdeac View Post
    Any updates on Katie?
    Not doing well. Her last tweet.


  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by CONeill View Post
    The coaching staff didn't trust or use the backup receivers much until Newman went down ... ?

    Jamie clearly didn't have as much faith throwing to Claude/Greene/Jones as he did Surratt and Washington. Or as much faith as Hartman had throwing to them. And that's ... the coaching staff's fault? Unless Clawson is flat out lying about working in the 2nd-string receivers so that they have chemistry with the 1st offense, there's no excuse for Newman to not have at least some rapport with them.
    We didnít pass much (or do much of anything) against Clemson. I think Greene caught 2 short passes and was targeted on one long pass. Hinton caught a few short passes. The rest of the passes were dropped. Against Duke, Clawson said the game plan was to run and throw to Hinton. We did both of those things well. Greene was targeted once and caught it one handed for a huge first down in the 4th quarter. In the Syracuse game, Newman got off to a slow start and was injured early in the game. Hartman seemed much more confortable throwing to Greene, Jones and Claude, likely because of his reps with them in practice all fall. So while Newman didnít finish strong, new receivers, more running, his injury, and Clemson explain the decrease in his offensive production. On the other hand, Sam finished against NCSU (depleted secondary), and 3 other average teams with his top recovers Brown and ?.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by wfu22fan View Post
    We didnít pass much (or do much of anything) against Clemson. I think Greene caught 2 short passes and was targeted on one long pass. Hinton caught a few short passes. The rest of the passes were dropped. Against Duke, Clawson said the game plan was to run and throw to Hinton. We did both of those things well. Greene was targeted once and caught it one handed for a huge first down in the 4th quarter. In the Syracuse game, Newman got off to a slow start and was injured early in the game. Hartman seemed much more confortable throwing to Greene, Jones and Claude, likely because of his reps with them in practice all fall. So while Newman didnít finish strong, new receivers, more running, his injury, and Clemson explain the decrease in his offensive production. On the other hand, Sam finished against NCSU (depleted secondary), and 3 other average teams with his top recovers Brown and ?.
    Where did you see/hear him say the part specifically about throwing to Hinton?

    Are you sure these are the only excuses? Do you want to try to come up with more?

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by CONeill View Post
    Where did you see/hear him say the part specifically about throwing to Hinton?

    Are you sure these are the only excuses? Do you want to try to come up with more?
    Clawson said it during the post game TV interview and perhaps at his press conference. Iím not making up excuses for Newman. You are the WF beat writer and have passed over John Collins in favor of a Duke player for ACC player of the year and picked Sam Howell over Jamie Newman for All-ACC. You do a nice job covering the Deacs but in close votes, you should favor the WF players. Donít you think the Greenville/Spartanburg writers favor Clemson? If WF canít get some love from their local beat writer, where are they going to get it?

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by wfu22fan View Post
    Clawson said it during the post game TV interview and perhaps at his press conference. Iím not making up excuses for Newman. You are the WF beat writer and have passed over John Collins in favor of a Duke player for ACC player of the year and picked Sam Howell over Jamie Newman for All-ACC. You do a nice job covering the Deacs but in close votes, you should favor the WF players. Donít you think the Greenville/Spartanburg writers favor Clemson? If WF canít get some love from their local beat writer, where are they going to get it?
    You blaming me for something that happened 6 months before I took the beat tells me everything I need to know here. I'm glad we arrived at this point.

    Btw, in case you're interested in facts: Kegan Lowe voted for Justin Jackson for ACC POY. Both of them went to UNC.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by wfu22fan View Post
    You are the WF beat writer and have passed over John Collins in favor of a Duke player for ACC player of the year and picked Sam Howell over Jamie Newman for All-ACC. You do a nice job covering the Deacs but in close votes, you should favor the WF players. Donít you think the Greenville/Spartanburg writers favor Clemson? If WF canít get some love from their local beat writer, where are they going to get it?

    This is very, very, very dumb. Bootlicking sportswriters who toe the line and donít question things are part of how we get 10 years of incompetence in our flagship program.

  7. #47
    Expanding Mod Powers
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    34,314
    Lol, if Greene isn't unanimous ACCPOY next year wfu22fan is gonna go HAM on the whole ACC media.

  8. #48

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Lol, if Greene isn't unanimous ACCPOY next year wfu22fan is gonna go HAM on the whole ACC media.
    The media will have a steady diet of pictures of Greene with his shirt off fed to them by 22 I'm sure.
    boorish ruffian

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    This is very, very, very dumb. Bootlicking sportswriters who toe the line and donít question things are part of how we get 10 years of incompetence in our flagship program.
    I fail to see the logic in this statement. How does a WF beat writer voting for Newman over a UNC freshman on second team All-ACC QB in a close call relate to Bzz, Wellman and Manning?

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by wfu22fan View Post
    I fail to see the logic in this statement. How does a WF beat writer voting for Newman over a UNC freshman on second team All-ACC QB in a close call relate to Bzz, Wellman and Manning?
    Because it means the writer is not inclined to go with their gut and give an honest assessment about the program, instead preferring to stay in Wake's good graces.

  12. #52
    Robert O'Kelley
    tigerswood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Price's Chicken Coop
    Posts
    6,875
    That Kegan bro was a total douche. Conor is light years better.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Lol, if Greene isn't unanimous ACCPOY next year wfu22fan is gonna go HAM on the whole ACC media.
    Nope, just on the WF beat writer who votes against him if he deserves it.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    That Kegan bro was a total douche. Conor is light years better.
    I agree. And I apologize for blaming Conor for Keganís vote against JC. My bad.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    Because it means the writer is not inclined to go with their gut and give an honest assessment about the program, instead preferring to stay in Wake's good graces.
    Are you saying Dan did this? I think he toed the line very well.

  16. #56
    No problem with Howell over Newman.

    Conference only passing stats...

    Howell - 25 tds, 5 ints, 305.6 ypg
    Newman - 11 tds, 8 ints, 202.1 ypg

    Of course Newman is the better runner, but there's huge difference in their passing stats. Newman played poorly in 3 of our last 4 games and sat out against Florida State. He probably would have been 1st team through the first half of the season.

    Collins absolutely should have been player of the year. It was obvious he was the best player and based on our last few years, we may have even underestimated how good he was.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by wfu22fan View Post
    Are you saying Dan did this? I think he toed the line very well.
    I am saying I am happy to have a beat writer who speaks their mind and doesn't try to curry favor with Wake's AD in their voting and coverage. We bitch and moan when local Triangle writers favor their teams, so why do we want ours to do the same?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •