• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Penn State -- 9:15 pm Wednesday ESPNU

Pilchard

Reaction score
The travelling Demon Deacons face Pat Chambers Nittany Lions late tomorrow night (9:15 pm) in Happy Valley.

This season: Penn State is off to a strong, 6-1, start to the 2019-2020 season. The Lions have top 100 wins over #66 G'town by 15 (on the road), #93 Yale by 2 and #54 Syracuse by 21, this past Saturday. Their one loss was to #65 Ole Miss (Penn State some how blew a 21 point 2nd half lead in that loss). Penn State is on a 8 game home win streak. Their last home loss was in OT to Purdue in January 2019. KP currently ranks Penn State #24 with the #43 offense and #21 defense. On offense, Penn State is strong inside (54% #64 on 2 pointers), and they hit the offensive boards, grabbing 34% of their missed shots (#49). The Lions defend well, forcing TOs on 22% of defensive possessions (#72), holding opponents to a 44% effective field goal percentage; they also block a lot of shots (#13). In the previous seasons under Chambers, Penn State played at a slow tempo, but they have ramped up the pace this year averaging 73 possessions a game this season (#56).

The lineup: Penn State is a veteran team, returning all 5 starters from last year. They start: 6-1 Jr. Jamari Wheeler, 6-3 So. Myreon Jones, 6-4 So. Myles Dread, 6-8 Sr. Lamar Stevens, 6-9 Sr. Mike Watkins. Stevens is their best player and leading scorer (19 ppg). He has scored in double figures in 46 of his last 47 games. Both Stevens and Watkins (260 pounds) are elite rebounders and shot blockers, Watkins had 16 boards against Cuse . Jones (41%), Dread (34%) and 6-4 Curtis Jones (39%) off the bench are all threats from behind the arc.

Bottom line: KP projects a 77-67 Penn State win. This is a bad spot for the Deacs. WF played late on Sunday in California. Arrived back on campus yesterday, and then head out to Happy Valley today. Penn State has already buried two teams marginally better than WF (Cuse and G'town). WF has no one that matches up with Stevens. Hard to find a reason to believe that WF keeps this game close. That said, Penn State is in a look ahead spot as they have two huge games on deck (at #4 Ohio State on Saturday; home against #8 Maryland on Tuesday); so maybe WF does not have the Lions full attention. The Deacs hung close to Arizona on Sunday, but don't see WF playing Penn State as close. The Nittany Lions big.

will we cut in line at the Creamery?

If you listened to the announcers on Sunday, you would swear it's going to be Arizona vs Penn State for the natty this year.

Going above and beyond usual broadcasters work.

Glad Stan made that extra effort.

will we cut in line at the Creamery?

Have been to State College and visited the Creamery. Dunno about 'world famous' but the ice cream was sinfully good stuff.

At best, it's #2 in PA behind Bassett's at Reading Terminal in Philly.

When I first looked at Penn State’s schedule, I thought this would be a good situational play on the Deacs... But the California turnaround cancels that out in my mind.

Just feels like we’re due for an ass-kicking. All 3 losses this year weren’t exactly tight games, but they never got away from us.

I think this one will.

When I first looked at Penn State’s schedule, I thought this would be a good situational play on the Deacs... But the California turnaround cancels that out in my mind.

Just feels like we’re due for an ass-kicking. All 3 losses this year weren’t exactly tight games, but they never got away from us.

I think this one will.

Yeah, I thought Arizona would be that game. We are due.

Would have been better for the ACC to leave Wake out of the Challenge again than a hot, well coached VT team. :tard:

I will be heading to Happy Valley today to see the game. It's about a 4 hour drive from the Jersey shore. My son is a senior at PSU, but we will be rooting for the Deacs. Staying at the Days Inn downtown.
Basketball is still a red headed step child at PSU, so it was very easy and cheap to score great seats. Tickets for Football $150+, Hoops $20. Overnight at the Days Inn for last month's Michigan Football game $500 (2 night minimum).
Tonight's stay at the Days Inn-$124!

I will be heading to Happy Valley today to see the game. It's about a 4 hour drive from the Jersey shore. My son is a senior at PSU, but we will be rooting for the Deacs. Staying at the Days Inn downtown.
Basketball is still a red headed step child at PSU, so it was very easy and cheap to score great seats. Tickets for Football $150+, Hoops $20. Overnight at the Days Inn for last month's Michigan Football game $500 (2 night minimum).
Tonight's stay at the Days Inn-$124!

Seems like a steal for a Wake/PSU basketball game.

Back