• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football transfer thread: General NCAA transfer rules talk

IMHO, effectively closing the portal entry Is a good move. It should stay closed during the season. I would keep it closed until Dec 1 so coaches don't have to worry about defections to a rival during the season. Then open two weeks before early signing day (Dec 15), which is also after most colleges have finished the regular season.

No way transfers during the season should be permissible. Is that even under consideration?

No way transfers during the season should be permissible. Is that even under consideration?

It happened during this basketball season. Among others, WV's Oscar Tshiebwe transferred from WV in January and committed to Kentucky in February. Also, Pitt's Xavier Johnson and Audiese Toney entered the portal while Pitt was still playing, and were being contacted by coaches. Sometimes by coaches that were playing Pitt. Understand that the players and coaches weren't breaking the rules, but it felt gross.

I have never seen a transfer announcement quite like this one

E0jEYcwXoAE76VI

^^^ I wonder how coaches who might recruit him will react to the cigar (blunt?) smoke.

Luke McCaffrey is transferring to Rice from Louisville, after transferring from Nebraska to Louisville in February.

The one time free transfer rule was proposed and would've likely been adopted before the pandemic. Given the extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic and the circumstances brought on by the pandemic, essentially every transfer decision was rubber-stamped, even if the players has transferred multiple times. However, under the terms of the initial rule, there is a "one-time" component to it. Once a player transfers once, he/she can't transfer a 2nd time without sitting a year (about special circumstances as determined by the NCAA). Don't see the free transfer rule changing, but think the NCAA should:

a) limit the transfer portal to a specific period in the off-season (no in season transferring)
b) enforce the "one-time" aspect of the rule; so, that absent exceptionally unusual circumstances, a player transferring a second (or a third) time must sit out (this would also limit the recruiting of players at other programs)
c) at least try to implement legit penalties if a coaching staff is found to have recruited a player before he enters the portal

In the current environment when every transfer decision is approved, players get sloppy and impulsive in selecting their transfer destination with the knowledge that they can just transfer again, if it doesn't immediately work out. Coaches don't need to be as a careful in offering ships to players looking to transfers because it's just a one year commitment.

Last edited:
The penalty for c should be strict. I'd go as far as banning a coaching staff from bringing in any transfers for one season.

Tirek Murphy (RB Purdue, 4 Star out of HS) transferred to Rhode Island. I did not see that one coming. Wake had shown interest.

The end-game handshakes are going to be interesting. "Recruit? Nah, I was just telling him 'good game.'"

May as well just have the bag men on the sidelines ready to give $100 handshakes to the opposing team after the game.

Has Nolan Groulx found a home yet? Thought he had some interest when he went into the portal.

Has Nolan Groulx found a home yet? Thought he had some interest when he went into the portal.

Not yet, according to tos.
One would think a former 4* would have lots of options and offers.

Not yet, according to tos.
One would think a former 4* would have lots of options and offers.

My unscientific study of schools that have interest based on his twitter following: Missouri State, Unc Charlotte, Western Carolina, Snow College, Independence CC, Robert Morris, Furman, UT Martin, Troy, Eastern Illinois, etc.

Looks like he may be going down a level or transferring to a non-power 5

Another example of how flawed football recruiting rankings after the 5 star recruits.

In WF's 2019 recruiting class, according to 247, Groulx was one of two 4 stars WF recruits (Greene was the other) in that class. Groulx was rated #362 recruit nationally in that class. The lowest rated recruit in that class was KW3 (who happened to score the most rushing TDs of any WF RB in almost 40 years as a true soph). Taylor Morin who proved to be light years better than Groulx at the receiver spot was ranked so low that he didn't even merit a national ranking, meaning he was rated among the remaining recruits who failed to merit a top 1,000 rating in that class.

Last edited:
Yeah if you get outside of the top couple hundred recruits the rest of it is a crap shoot. I will never be convinced otherwise

I don't think it's that much of a crapshoot. I mean, they're evaluated (usually) based on what they show and how they measure up, similar to picking a guy in the NFL draft. Most of those guys in the draft don't pan out either.

You do get your overrated and underrated kids, but sometimes kids are late bloomers and thrive in a situation where they're allowed to develop and maybe not get beat up by a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids. The inverse is also true, where kids peak early or they go into an environment where the competition is so tough they never see the field, or get discouraged because they can't crack the 2 deep.

Creamy, you take the 25 guys ranked just above and below Morin. I’ll take the 25 guys ranked just above and below Groulx. My recruiting class would perform better 95% of the time.

Creamy, you take the 25 guys ranked just above and below Morin. I’ll take the 25 guys ranked just above and below Groulx. My recruiting class would perform better 95% of the time.

More like 100%,

That misses the point. That's not how Clausen recruits. He takes the 20 to 25 guys that through the staff analysis, he projects as the best fits for the program over the next 5 years. Regardless of where they are ranked by a recruiting service. I will happily take (and would guess Creamy would too) the 25 guys that Clausen recruits and signs over the 25 guys ranked around Groulx, and they will kick the ass of almost every program that recruits in that same pool.

Back