• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football transfer thread: General NCAA transfer rules talk

The idea that the lower the rankings go the less reliable they are is completely sound.

The idea that there is not a general correlation between ranking groups (think stars) and skill level is not sound. Living at the long end of the tail is not a winning proposition generally.

The thought that we'd rather find diamonds in the rough than take higher ranked recruits is completely nuts. Show me some admitable 4-5 stars that wanted to sign with us but were refused.

The position that we cannot generally get 4-5 stars yet we have admirably closed the gap via a developmental platform is true.

Agree with most of this. Don't think anyone takes the position that WF makes a conscious decision to take lower rated recruits, that would be nuts. The position is that Clawson and staff don't GAF about recruiting rankings as their own evaluation decides who to offer and who not to, as the staff (as any staff should be) is far better at evaluating prospects and their fit within the program than the recruiting services that are trying to handicap 130 FBS programs and all 2500+ kids that sign during each recruiting cycle.

If a recruit camps at WF and shows well, WF will offer. Doesn't matter if the kid is rated #300 or #1300 by a recruiting service. FWIW, there is a long history of other Power V programs suddenly becoming interested in a recruit after WF offers. So, it appears that others "in the know" value our staff's player eval skills.

Last edited:
The position that we cannot generally get 4-5 stars yet we have admirably closed the gap via a developmental platform is true.

This is why most WF fans like and respect Dave Clawson. The Deacs have become a tough out for all but the elite teams in the nation and capable of beating most teams they play. The floor is much higher than in the past. So is the ceiling. Unfortunately the ceiling seems limited by that recruiting philosophy. At some point Dave needs to win the recruiting battles on more talented players to win an ACC championship or win 10+ games. The Deacs are a 6-8 win program. Almost or at .500 in the conference. Nine wins this season would be a first at Wake for Dave. So would a winning record in the ACC. The enhanced depth provided by covid could be the blessing the program needs to raise the ceiling. Until it is accomplished we will remain a decent football program, not a winning football program. A consistent, winning record in conference play is required to become a winning football program.

Football scholarship numbers used to be a lot higher, 105. That resulted in a lot of stockpiling.

I'm old enough to remember when there was NO cap on scholarships. UT (Tenn) every year gathered up every half-decent player in the state and they never saw the playing field. I was at one Vandy/Ga Tech game, in Nashville, when Bobby Dodd dressed 135 players . . . for an AWAY game.

I'm old enough to remember when there was NO cap on scholarships. UT (Tenn) every year gathered up every half-decent player in the state and they never saw the playing field. I was at one Vandy/Ga Tech game, in Nashville, when Bobby Dodd dressed 135 players . . . for an AWAY game.

That philosophy and system was part of what made Nebraska good. They would bring in every decent lineman in the state and build them up and weed them out over first few years so they had a massive, talented lone of juniors and seniors every year. However, along the way quite a few guys had their scholarships pulled when they weren't making sufficient progress.

Yeah, and they also shot them up with steroids which was pretty helpful.

This is why most WF fans like and respect Dave Clawson. The Deacs have become a tough out for all but the elite teams in the nation and capable of beating most teams they play. The floor is much higher than in the past. So is the ceiling. Unfortunately the ceiling seems limited by that recruiting philosophy. At some point Dave needs to win the recruiting battles on more talented players to win an ACC championship or win 10+ games. The Deacs are a 6-8 win program. Almost or at .500 in the conference. Nine wins this season would be a first at Wake for Dave. So would a winning record in the ACC. The enhanced depth provided by covid could be the blessing the program needs to raise the ceiling. Until it is accomplished we will remain a decent football program, not a winning football program. A consistent, winning record in conference play is required to become a winning football program.

Just to put things in perspective, when I went to Wake, late 70's, the football team won something like 7 games over the 4 years. I was there for the 163-0 stretch against Oklahoma, Penn St and MD

Just to put things in perspective, when I went to Wake, late 70's, the football team won something like 7 games over the 4 years. I was there for the 163-0 stretch against Oklahoma, Penn St and MD

I was there too. Was thinking it was 165-0
OK 63-0, PSU 55-0, MD 47-0.

Either way, it was bad. The only ‘highlight’ was that we made the cover of Sports Illustrated. They showed Joe Washington (OK) jumping over some of our players on the way to one of his TD runs.
To think that we win more games now in a season than we won during 4 years is nice. One other thing…..despite Wake rarely winning, we had many more students at the games back then.

I was there too. Was thinking it was 165-0
OK 63-0, PSU 55-0, MD 47-0.

Either way, it was bad. The only ‘highlight’ was that we made the cover of Sports Illustrated. They showed Joe Washington (OK) jumping over some of our players on the way to one of his TD runs.
To think that we win more games now in a season than we won during 4 years is nice. One other thing…..despite Wake rarely winning, we had many more students at the games back then.

AD Gene Hooks was into making money, not winning games. The athletic department back then teetered on losing money, and Wake couldn't afford that. Coach Chuck Mills, on his TV show, said "We have a throw and go offense . . . you come to the game, throw up, and go home."

AD Gene Hooks was into making money, not winning games. The athletic department back then teetered on losing money, and Wake couldn't afford that. Coach Chuck Mills, on his TV show, said "We have a throw and go offense . . . you come to the game, throw up, and go home."

Interstate 40 WFU 0 was seen near WS back then. Except for 1979-80, we sucked until Grobe was hired.

Demand likely to be soft.

The Spartans returned a couple players who had started in the past, and had another RB transfer from Auburn, but Kenneth Walker is currently getting first team reps. The Spartans open up the season a week from tonight (Friday) on ESPN at Northwestern. The Big 10 media preseason poll wasn't kind to the Spartans as they were picked to finish DFL in the East; yes, that is behind even Rutgers: https://www.theonlycolors.com/2021/7/21/22587513/2021-big-ten-football-preseason-poll-picks-michigan-state-spartans-to-finish-last

The Spartans returned a couple players who had started in the past, and had another RB transfer from Auburn, but Kenneth Walker is currently getting first team reps. The Spartans open up the season a week from tonight (Friday) on ESPN at Northwestern. The Big 10 media preseason poll wasn't kind to the Spartans as they were picked to finish DFL in the East; yes, that is behind even Rutgers: https://www.theonlycolors.com/2021/7/21/22587513/2021-big-ten-football-preseason-poll-picks-michigan-state-spartans-to-finish-last

That transfer really stings. Does anyone know why he left? He was our feature back and would have been again this year.

That transfer really stings. Does anyone know why he left? He was our feature back and would have been again this year.

believe he wanted to "feature" more; CBS was the nominal starter and had more yards when Walker opted out

Just my personal thought - the last straw was Clawson not submitting his name for all ACC consideration.

Had Walker already left the team by that point?

my recollection is that he was in the portal but had not chosen a destination when the vote was made (or announced, I can't remember)

Walker opted out of UL game early December

All-ACC team announced 12/22/2020

Walker entered portal January 4

Walker committed to MSU January 6

That transfer was sketchy. Walker is from TN. He plays for WF, and in two days after entering the portal and with a wealth of options, Walker decides that Michigan State a school with no previous connection to KW3 is his transfer destination? It's not like Michigan State was on KW3's list out of HS. Smells.

If the time was taken to dig into that transfer decision and all of the communications between the Michigan State coaching staff and Walker or Walker's family or Walker's HS coaches, you would find that Michigan State was in contact and making overtures before he entered the portal which is a no-no (but happens all of the time). At this point, wish the best for him as KW3 can take it to the house on any carry. He is a home run hitter in the backfield. Feel like he made a poor choice as the Michigan State program appears adrift right now. Don't think Mel Tucker is the answer.

Tre Bradford, who transferred from LSU to OU, is no longer with OU. Rumor is he is back to LSU.

Coming into this year, OU had 6 RBs with Kennedy Brooks, Tenn transfer Eric Gray, Bradford, Seth McGowan, Mikey Henderson, and Marcus Major. McGowan and Henderson look to be headed to jail, Major was declared academically ineligible earlier this week, and now Bradford is gone. OU has only two scholarship RBs on the roster right now.

Back