• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football transfer thread: General NCAA transfer rules talk

giphy.gif

So Waydale says he has 2 years of eligibility remaining. I wonder if that means he is graduating - though it is hard to believe he would be doing so this winter, as that would just be two and a half years. Maybe after the spring or even summer? Of course that would mean he would miss spring practice at a new school. If he won't be a grad transfer, he will have to sit out next season and then only have one year of eligibility - unless he gets a waiver.

Would be good if Wake can use the transfer portal to pick up ready to play guys at positions of need.

Safety and Offensive Tackle are two that come to mind.

Masterson and Greer are both working through injuries. Will they be 100% by fall? Who backs them up?

Maybe Gilliam and Herron have been good for so long that their backups just haven't played, but the backups haven't gotten much notoriety. Are they ready to step in, start, and play well next fall?

Would be good if Wake can use the transfer portal to pick up ready to play guys at positions of need.

Safety and Offensive Tackle are two that come to mind.

Masterson and Greer are both working through injuries. Will they be 100% by fall? Who backs them up?

Maybe Gilliam and Herron have been good for so long that their backups just haven't played, but the backups haven't gotten much notoriety. Are they ready to step in, start, and play well next fall?

Greer is def. out for Spring but supposed to be 100% by Fall. I can't imagine Masterson wouldn't be ready. Maginn and Nya have almost been splitting time at one G spot and both will be starting in the Pinstripe Bowl. I would think Spencer Clapp will be ready next year to step in for Herron, but those are big shoes. He has not played many snaps this year, but when he's come in a few times for Herron when he was banged up, I didn't notice him messing up.

Greer is def. out for Spring but supposed to be 100% by Fall. I can't imagine Masterson wouldn't be ready. Maginn and Nya have almost been splitting time at one G spot and both will be starting in the Pinstripe Bowl. I would think Spencer Clapp will be ready next year to step in for Herron, but those are big shoes. He has not played many snaps this year, but when he's come in a few times for Herron when he was banged up, I didn't notice him messing up.

We will find out in a week if there is a good next guy at right tackle, as I understand that Nate Gilliam is out for the bowl game.

Benzinger plays right tackle doesn’t he and Gilliam guard?

My oops. You are right. We will see what is probably next season's interior three of the offensive line starters playing in the bowl. Looks like Loic Ngassam Nya is shifting to the right side.

OL for next season is pretty set:
? - Maginn - Tom - Nya - Nash
LT will be a comp between Clapp, Rappleyea, Elmonus. I just hope someone grabs the position and runs with it. Don't care who.
Key depth should come from Jurgens, Suhren (if he stays), and the other OTs.

Agreed, I'm more worried about corner depth than safety.
Even with Masterson and Greer on the recovery trail, we've got Redd, Dicks, Davis, Keith, Rucker, and AJ Williams. Plus Woulard coming back from injury.
Corner has Taylor at CB1 (woof), with Essissima, Alston, and probably 1-2 true freshmen.

CB is a position where Clawson has not hesitated to play a true frosh.

Also, when Coby Davis was a true frosh he played corner in WF's nickel defense. By next year, he will be two years recovered from his knee surgery; given WF's depth at safety, could see Davis back at corner next fall. I know the coaches like his athleticism.

Agree that corner is biggest position group question mark heading into the fall; the OL has been in re-load mode for awhile. WF has consistently recruited 3+ solid OL in each class.

LT will be a comp between Clapp, Rappleyea, Elmonus. I just hope someone grabs the position and runs with it. Don't care who.

Even with Masterson and Greer on the recovery trail, we've got Redd, Dicks, Davis, Keith, Rucker, and AJ Williams. Plus Woulard coming back from injury.
Corner has Taylor at CB1 (woof), with Essissima, Alston, and probably 1-2 true freshmen.

I hope I’m just missing this somehow but I don’t see Rappleyea listed on the roster on the official website

There was a question on this a couple weeks ago, but one of our beat writers confirmed he's [edit: Rappleyea] still with the team.

Ja’Sir has been pretty good this, that’s the one side I feel half way decent about going into next year.

Oofff, MJ Alston to the Transfer Portal. CB gets thinner.

Last edited:
Alston's offer list out of hs was not that impressive. We were the only p5 offer. Might not have enough talent to see the field. Probably better that he leaves than take up a scholly for 4/5 years and not contribute on game day.

Back