Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 185

Thread: Football transfer thread: General NCAA transfer rules talk

  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Transfer within the Big Ten, out of the Big Ten or into the Big Ten?
    NCAA wide. A proposal that may be voted upon in the next NCAA meetings

  2. #122
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    39,357
    Yeah, I saw that over the weekend and, as you might expect, I absolutely hate it.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Transfer within the Big Ten, out of the Big Ten or into the Big Ten?
    The Big 10 proposal to the NCAA, if adopted, would apply to all athletes at all schools in all sports. Essentially, every athlete would have 5 years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility, and would have the option of transferring one time to another school without sitting a year. Think that it will be adopted.

  4. #124
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    39,357
    For instance, since Newman left, maybe Sage decides he'd like to go to UNC-CH next year to catch passes from Sam Howell and play with his brother before entering the draft.

  5. #125
    This could substantially hurt many of the FBS schools. The top 10-15 schools could "re-recruit" the late bloomers and really increase the talent level distance between them and the rest of the FBS schools.

    I would like to see this limited to the first two years at a school. If you don't transfer by the time you have finished your second year as a rFr or true soph, you stay or are subject to current sit out rules. Kids make mistakes in college choices. They should be able to fix that. However, after 2 years somewhere, you know if the place is right or not.

    I would also add a transfer option, no restrictions, no sitout, if the head coach is fired or forced to resign by the school. Might want to put some time restrictions on this. Give the new coach a chance to "re-recruit" his current players before they can be enticed to leave by other teams and coaches. Then open a four week "fired coach transfer window" for the players, beginning one week after the first Feb signing day. For this year, that would mean opening the window Feb 12.

    Retain the restrictions if the coach leaves to take a job at another school. I would set up player transfer rules to make hiring a coach to get players from his former school less attractive.

  6. #126
    I'm all for player agency, but I don't believe for a second the B1G is. B1G wants to collect those disillusioned SEC stars buries on rosters.

    "Fourth string at Bama? You can start next year at tOSU/Michigan/Wisconsin."

    In addition to this new rule, they need to lower football scholarships to prevent hoarding in the first place. I bet the B1G is against that.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by awaken View Post
    I'm all for player agency, but I don't believe for a second the B1G is. B1G wants to collect those disillusioned SEC stars buries on rosters.

    "Fourth string at Bama? You can start next year at tOSU/Michigan/Wisconsin."

    In addition to this new rule, they need to lower football scholarships to prevent hoarding in the first place. I bet the B1G is against that.
    Football scholarship numbers used to be a lot higher, 105. That resulted in a lot of stockpiling.

  8. #128
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    118,861
    That would be a bad rule change. The current system is fine. Sit out a year unless you've graduated. If you've got your degree you can leave and play right away.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    This could substantially hurt many of the FBS schools. The top 10-15 schools could "re-recruit" the late bloomers and really increase the talent level distance between them and the rest of the FBS schools.

    I would like to see this limited to the first two years at a school. If you don't transfer by the time you have finished your second year as a rFr or true soph, you stay or are subject to current sit out rules. Kids make mistakes in college choices. They should be able to fix that. However, after 2 years somewhere, you know if the place is right or not.

    I would also add a transfer option, no restrictions, no sitout, if the head coach is fired or forced to resign by the school. Might want to put some time restrictions on this. Give the new coach a chance to "re-recruit" his current players before they can be enticed to leave by other teams and coaches. Then open a four week "fired coach transfer window" for the players, beginning one week after the first Feb signing day. For this year, that would mean opening the window Feb 12.

    Retain the restrictions if the coach leaves to take a job at another school. I would set up player transfer rules to make hiring a coach to get players from his former school less attractive.
    Maybe in some rare instances, but lack of playing time will always be the primary reason for transferring. In most cases, if a "late bloomer" is so good that he's going to start at Bama or Clemson, he is going to the NFL and not going to transfer. Jamie Newman is the exception to the rule (and I suspect among the reasons for his decision to transfer was that he was concerned that Sam Hartman might be challenging him for PT next year).

    If an athlete believes another program is better suited to help him/her develop athletically, he/she should be able to transfer to the school that will benefit him/her. Not sure why athletes should have heavier restrictions on transferring than a kid on an academic scholarship that after a couple of years in a liberal arts school and is kicking arse academically, but realizes that he wants to be an architecture major, so he decides to attend a school with that concentration. If a school with a great architecture program is willing to accept him and foot part of the bill, why shouldn't he/she be allowed to go without restriction?
    Last edited by Pilchard; 02-03-2020 at 02:14 PM.

  10. #130
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    118,861
    He can go. He just has to sit out a year. Let me amend what I said above. I don't think that sit out year should be a lost year of eligibility.

  11. #131
    Broderick Hicks
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Big Lick, NC
    Posts
    3,929
    ESPN on Brice transfer: "Noted quarterback guru, David Cutcliffe."

    Love beating Duke, again. Cutcliffe cannot believe it.

    And ESPN can suck it.

  12. #132
    ACC now backing this proposal. Supposedly unanimously.

  13. #133
    Coveted USC QB JT Daniels is transferring to UGA. Would be hilarious if he was somehow eligible and healthy enough to play in 2020.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...r-destination/

    From the article:

    Daniels' move to Athens has raised some eyebrows around the college football world. Newman, who threw for 2,868 yards and 26 touchdowns last season, was presumed to be the unquestioned starter for the Bulldogs. He was so highly regarded that William Hill Sportsbook installed him as a 10-1 favorite to win the Heisman Trophy behind only Fields (7/2) and Lawrence (4-1) when odds were released on April 2.

    Daniels, a redshirt sophomore, would have to receive an immediate-eligibility waiver from the NCAA in order to compete with Newman. He has at least two years of eligibility remaining. It's unclear whether he will pursue a waiver at this time. Several undergraduates have received such waivers including Fields, who started his career off at Georgia in 2018 before transferring to Columbus.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 05-28-2020 at 04:57 PM.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Coveted USC QB JT Daniels is transferring to UGA. Would be hilarious if he was somehow eligible and healthy enough to play in 2020.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...r-destination/

    From the article:

    Daniels' move to Athens has raised some eyebrows around the college football world. Newman, who threw for 2,868 yards and 26 touchdowns last season, was presumed to be the unquestioned starter for the Bulldogs. He was so highly regarded that William Hill Sportsbook installed him as a 10-1 favorite to win the Heisman Trophy behind only Fields (7/2) and Lawrence (4-1) when odds were released on April 2.

    Daniels, a redshirt sophomore, would have to receive an immediate-eligibility waiver from the NCAA in order to compete with Newman. He has at least two years of eligibility remaining. It's unclear whether he will pursue a waiver at this time. Several undergraduates have received such waivers including Fields, who started his career off at Georgia in 2018 before transferring to Columbus.

    Interesting. Also, didn't Kirby Smart hire a new OC after Newman decided to move to UGA? I think that dynamic might be interesting as well.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Coveted USC QB JT Daniels is transferring to UGA. Would be hilarious if he was somehow eligible and healthy enough to play in 2020.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...r-destination/

    From the article:

    Daniels' move to Athens has raised some eyebrows around the college football world. Newman, who threw for 2,868 yards and 26 touchdowns last season, was presumed to be the unquestioned starter for the Bulldogs. He was so highly regarded that William Hill Sportsbook installed him as a 10-1 favorite to win the Heisman Trophy behind only Fields (7/2) and Lawrence (4-1) when odds were released on April 2.

    Daniels, a redshirt sophomore, would have to receive an immediate-eligibility waiver from the NCAA in order to compete with Newman. He has at least two years of eligibility remaining. It's unclear whether he will pursue a waiver at this time. Several undergraduates have received such waivers including Fields, who started his career off at Georgia in 2018 before transferring to Columbus.
    Made this point elsewhere but chatted with a few UGA guys. None of them expect Daniels to pursue a waiver/get one anyways and they want to use him as a way to bridge to Brock Vandagriff. They open the year with Clemson in CLT and have Auburn and uofSC on the road. Much better to have a bridge than throw a true freshman to the wolves his very first game. No one truly wants that with any QB around the country(inb4 sam hartman references)

  16. #136
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    118,861
    We get it. We've had way too many freshman starters. I think it's been over 20 years since we've had more than a 5 year stretch without a freshman starter.

  17. #137
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    39,357
    Gonna be pretty special when Carson Beck is a four-year starter at Georgia.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Gonna be pretty special when Carson Beck transfers to UCF in 2 years.
    Fixed it.

  19. #139
    Why would JT Daniels have to sit out (other than injury) next year? He played in one game/could redshirt. I guess if you redshirted/didn't play the prior year, you still have to sit out upon transferring? I'm not fully in favor of transfer free agency, but that's a dumb rule. No player should have to sit two years in a row.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    Why would JT Daniels have to sit out (other than injury) next year? He played in one game/could redshirt. I guess if you redshirted/didn't play the prior year, you still have to sit out upon transferring? I'm not fully in favor of transfer free agency, but that's a dumb rule. No player should have to sit two years in a row.
    It's a dumb rule but there's not really a reason he got forced out/he didn't move closer to home aka the 2 main reasons people usually get waivers. He's leaving because he doesn't want to go through ANOTHER QB battle with 3 guys and instead would only have to beat out a) Newman in 2020 or b) Carson Beck with no snaps and a true frosh in Brock in 2021 when the coaches probably want a more experienced guy with that schedule

    No player SHOULD sit out, I've been very on record about that, paying the players etc. But given the rules laid out and even with the NCAA being lol, there's zero case for him getting a waiver. At least Tate Martell could argue he got forced out. Every article about Daniels was like "Oh i love USC and have even debated coming back" etc etc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •