• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football transfer thread: General NCAA transfer rules talk

Orlando Heggs name hit the transfer portal

He was a big kid for a rFr. 6-3, 295. Seems like he should have been competitive for one of the guard backup spots in 2020. Top 100 at his position out of HS (Bolles School).

CB is a position where Clawson has not hesitated to play a true frosh.

Also, when Coby Davis was a true frosh he played corner in WF's nickel defense. By next year, he will be two years recovered from his knee surgery; given WF's depth at safety, could see Davis back at corner next fall. I know the coaches like his athleticism.

Agree that corner is biggest position group question mark heading into the fall; the OL has been in re-load mode for awhile. WF has consistently recruited 3+ solid OL in each class.

Agreed, Davis looked solid as a freshman but seemed to struggle this year at safety, was always a half second late. I bet he’d be better back at corner. Also think Dicks may move to safety from rover. Essissima was on the two deep the whole year but he struggled in the limited time I can remember, so scary to count on him potentially as a starter.

If I’m the coaching staff my top priority is getting a grad transfer who can start at corner opposite Ja’sir. Next priority would be an offensive lineman, ideally a left tackle. Neither sound like easy tasks.

Agreed, Davis looked solid as a freshman but seemed to struggle this year at safety, was always a half second late. I bet he’d be better back at corner. Also think Dicks may move to safety from rover. Essissima was on the two deep the whole year but he struggled in the limited time I can remember, so scary to count on him potentially as a starter.

If I’m the coaching staff my top priority is getting a grad transfer who can start at corner opposite Ja’sir. Next priority would be an offensive lineman, ideally a left tackle. Neither sound like easy tasks.

Why would Dicks move from rover? He would be the next in line when both Luke Masterson and Traveon Redd graduate. He has very good size, the perfect size for the position. I don’t expect for him to move. I can see Davis moving to corner. He really has struggled, and if a younger guy steps up, that would be a smart move by the coaching staff. It might be a more natural position for him, because he did play corner in high school.

Former Clemson QB Willie Simmons is the FAMU head coach. Good luck to Heggs. Not a bad move for a kid from
Jax.

Heggs to FAMU is a good decision. Close to home and an opportunity to play. Wish him all the best.

JaSir starting next year? He was improved this year over last, but I hope he isn’t our best CB option.

Alston's offer list out of hs was not that impressive. We were the only p5 offer. Might not have enough talent to see the field. Probably better that he leaves than take up a scholly for 4/5 years and not contribute on game day.

Looks like he was a gamble that didn’t work out. Hope we have some Frosh or incoming CBs ready to contribute.

Stanford has 13 football players in the transfer portal. I doubt many if any of those potential transfers: a) will play in the NFL; b) will end up at a better school than Stanford.

If my kid had a 4 year free ride at Stanford, would have hard time if he gave that up to get more PT at Colorado State.

Stanford has 13 football players in the transfer portal. I doubt many if any of those potential transfers: a) will play in the NFL; b) will end up at a better school than Stanford.

If my kid had a 4 year free ride at Stanford, would have hard time if he gave that up to get more PT at Colorado State.

Not the case. Most of these kids have used up 4 years worth of scholarship and don't have the grades to qualify for grad school at Stanford. If they want to play one more year, they have to leave and pursue a masters elsewhere.

At least 4 of Stanford's transfer portal athletes have not spent the 4 years at Stanford; so, for them, it's not a grad school issue. Also, there is no requirement that a player apply and get admitted to grad school after qualifying to graduate if they want to stay for their RS year. They can add a major or a minor to their Stanford degree.

The idea that an education at Wake Forest or Stanford is required to enjoy a happy or productive life is laughable to over seven billion people. Heggs and players leaving Stanford happen to be in that group. They are in the majority by a vast margin.

Yeah. Heggs will likely join the tens of thousands of successful FAMU grads who live in Florida.

The idea that an education at Wake Forest or Stanford is required to enjoy a happy or productive life is laughable to over seven billion people. Heggs and players leaving Stanford happen to be in that group. They are in the majority by a vast margin.

I guess I should have just gone to a shit academic school instead of busting my ass to get into and out of WFU. What a waste!

I guess I should have just gone to a shit academic school instead of busting my ass to get into and out of WFU. What a waste!

If an education at Wake Forest was required for you to be happy and productive in life, it was the correct decision for you. Your values aren't the norm nor the model for the rest of the world.

Back