• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football transfer thread: General NCAA transfer rules talk

A different kind of "transfer" Duke AD is transferring to retired status next August.

Best of luck to Mike Allen, highly rated coming out of high school, but was unable to produce on the field. Our two top DE recruits recently both end up in the portal. So with a spot open, hopefully we go after Andrew Leota, an Asheville native, who was at Northwestern the last three years. He’s had 4.5 and 5.5 sacks the two years he played. Could be an interesting addition.

To put all this in one place and where it fits better, I am copying my other post here:

One thing I think NCAA should put in place are in-season dead periods for the transfer portals. NCAA would not accept player transfer requests. Coaches could not contact players wanting to transfer in.

E.g. for football, no transfers, or maybe no coach initiated contact with transferring players between Aug 15 and January date of championship game.
For basketball, Nov 1 to national championship game in April. Same thing.

Thoughts?

What about mid-season transfers in basketball? I have no problem with guys transferring early in the season so that they can be eligible for spring semester the next season.

Though I guess that goes away if there is no longer a year of sitting out.

My suggested time frames were based on continuation of the immediate eligibility rule. If that goes away, I would add a between semesters window for basketball. Something like Dec 22 to Jan 6. Exact dates should be based on composite academic calendars. Window opens after first semester ends. Perhaps the date previously used for spring semester eligible transfers were able to begin playing. Closes when classes begin for spring semester. This would need to be some average of all schools. It would need to have specific dates on the calendar each year, but not necessarily the same dates every year.

I would go back to the tight waiver requirements. That is, you can get a mid-season waiver to transfer, but it will be difficult. Once a school commits a scholarship to a player, that player assumes an obligation to attend class and play for that season.

I would also make scholarships four year mandatory. As long as the student -athlete performs in the classroom and does what the team requires, he or she gets four years of scholarship. If a coach no longer wants the player on the team, the school is obligated to provide scholarship that matches exactly the athletics scholarship for the remainder of the four years.

Last edited:
I think that is is quite possible that Groulx, while having a high star rating in high school, was not cut out to play D1 football. I didn't see much out of him in the past year that indicated he was athletically superior or some sort of amazing route runner that would reduce the need to be athletically superior.

He may go to some other D1 school and tear it up for all I know. I hope wherever he goes he finds success and happiness. But I think this might be best for everyone.

timing suggests he wasn't thrilled with the first week of spring practice

I wonder if Groulx was one of those guys that peaked in high school. He was dominant at 17, but that was as good as he was going to get. Maybe he was the football equivalent to a driving range hero. He was awesome in 7 on 7 or 1 on 1 drills in shorts and t-shirt, but couldn't do it in pads vs d1 athletes. Maybe he will go FCS and absolutely kill it.

timing suggests he wasn't thrilled with the first week of spring practice

Good point. Clawson had said he would mix ones, twos and threes. Maybe Groulx didn't like where he was in the mix. Was hoping he would have the light come on this spring and make a big jump in productivity.

Wil there be a spring football game? Saw where UNC and NCSU have scheduled theirs.

Always questioned why we made him an outside receiver. Think his trajectory would have been different had he been a slot from day 1.

Wil there be a spring football game? Saw where UNC and NCSU have scheduled theirs.

Clawson previously said that they are going to have scrimmages, but had not determined whether to play a Spring Game or not. Sounded like Clawson and the University wanted to play it by ear and assess the ability to play a Spring game based upon COVID concerns.

I wonder if Groulx was one of those guys that peaked in high school. He was dominant at 17, but that was as good as he was going to get. Maybe he was the football equivalent to a driving range hero. He was awesome in 7 on 7 or 1 on 1 drills in shorts and t-shirt, but couldn't do it in pads vs d1 athletes. Maybe he will go FCS and absolutely kill it.

Maybe reminiscent of those 3* prep school guys from like Nease we used to get back in the grobe years that would disappear here.

I think Clawson said that if fans couldn’t attend, then not worth having a game. Just scrimmage instead.

Maybe, I think we all remember the video from the Rivals camp where he was the best WR out there, but he is only a RS Freshmen, he has so much more time to develop. Where he is now, as opposed to 3 years from now can be totally different. He wasn't a huge contributor last year, but that doesn't mean he wont develop into one. As for the inside vs outside position, if he was better than Morin or Roberson, he would have been in the slot, I think moving him around was an attempt to get him on the field. Is that what led to the transfer, he feels like he is playing out of position? I still think he goes FBS level, and I still think he has the ability to contribute as he grows. This probably isn't an immediate hurt, but could become one in a couple years.

Guidance has come out and said that players have to be in the portal before May 1 to qualify for being able to transfer without sitting a year.

Another DE went into the portal this week. Wake is very limited by what schools they can accept credits from for transfers (this needs to be adjusted). Im in favor of just keep taking more Michigan players and see who works out. Giles Jackson, Osman Savage, Jordan Anthony, shoot lets see if any of them pan out.

Guidance has come out and said that players have to be in the portal before May 1 to qualify for being able to transfer without sitting a year.

Another DE went into the portal this week. Wake is very limited by what schools they can accept credits from for transfers (this needs to be adjusted). Im in favor of just keep taking more Michigan players and see who works out. Giles Jackson, Osman Savage, Jordan Anthony, shoot lets see if any of them pan out.

IMHO, effectively closing the portal entry Is a good move. It should stay closed during the season. I would keep it closed until Dec 1 so coaches don't have to worry about defections to a rival during the season. Then open two weeks before early signing day (Dec 15), which is also after most colleges have finished the regular season.

Back