• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football transfer thread: General NCAA transfer rules talk

A redshirt transfer should be like a grad transfer, IMHO. If you redshirted at your prior school (for any reason), no chance you have to sit out again. Yes, that would open up more transfer free agency (which I generally don't like), but it's the right thing to do.

A redshirt transfer should be like a grad transfer, IMHO. If you redshirted at your prior school (for any reason), no chance you have to sit out again. Yes, that would open up more transfer free agency (which I generally don't like), but it's the right thing to do.

At least in football this would put a lot of kids in play after one year in college. Redshirt your first season in college, then be eligible to transfer anywhere, no strings attached! Coaches would hate having to re-recruit their rfreshman and rsoph classes.

They would have spent a year or two of scholarship momey and be about to get payback for it and some school comes and promises a "better deal" so a promising player is gone just about the time he is ready to be a contributor. I don't see this as a viable option. And why penalize kids who don't get redshirted?

Well, that is not good. He was one of the top rated recruits in his Wake class, as I recall.

That class was Walker's 2019 class though. And we have two RBs in the 2020 class.

Not surprised at all. He wasn’t going to get any playing time behind CBS and Walker. I thought he would be really good, but no one saw Walker coming.

I was looking forward to seeing him play but we have Walker and CBS with Ellison, Cooley, and Marshall on deck.

Wake had Will Drawdy as third string behind CBS and Walker this season. That would have been Flowers if he hadn't opted out for Covid. Neither of the freshmen have gotten many snaps.

Once CBS moves on, Flowers would have been in the running for #2 back with KWIII. We know Clawson likes to use multiple guys at RB.

I don't expect KWIII to use all his eligibility at Wake. Maybe Flowers felt he would no longer be competitive for yhe spot after opting out and seeing the others continue to work.

Wake had Will Drawdy as third string behind CBS and Walker this season. That would have been Flowers if he hadn't opted out for Covid. Neither of the freshmen have gotten many snaps.

Once CBS moves on, Flowers would have been in the running for #2 back with KWIII. We know Clawson likes to use multiple guys at RB.

I don't expect KWIII to use all his eligibility at Wake. Maybe Flowers felt he would no longer be competitive for yhe spot after opting out and seeing the others continue to work.

Care to expand on this? Transfer or opt for NFL draft early?

two in the secondary enter the portal:

Justice Ellison has been the third-string RB this season. He's the one who came in without a defined position and apparently became a RB.

I typically don’t like it when players decide to leave the program. However, if they’re not a first or second team player (ie they’re not playing) then leaving doesn’t hurt us and it gives them a better chance to play somewhere else. In those cases, I wish them the best of luck and hope they find success.

Woulard couldn't get on the field over a true freshman walk-on after being the program for 3 years. Makes sense for him to move on if he is looking to play.

I guess I'm old school. Sit out a year if you transfer, an extra year if it's in conference (which negates the desire to transfer to another team in the conference). If anything, those rules were probably worse (meaning more unnecessary) when the scholarship numbers were much higher in football and all the talent could be horded with a handful of programs. But with the reduction in scholarships, I think those rules are more fair now. The school puts the time into developing you, and you shouldn't be able to transfer without consequence. It's good for CFB and the idea of parity if you can't just go transfer willy nilly to a better program without consequence.

I do like the grad transfer rule, though. I think that was a sensible exception that was implemented.

I still don't know why Sarr got to play this year. Maybe the answer is somewhere in this thread, but it's 8 pages long. Did he graduate?

I guess I'm old school. Sit out a year if you transfer, an extra year if it's in conference (which negates the desire to transfer to another team in the conference). If anything, those rules were probably worse (meaning more unnecessary) when the scholarship numbers were much higher in football and all the talent could be horded with a handful of programs. But with the reduction in scholarships, I think those rules are more fair now. The school puts the time into developing you, and you shouldn't be able to transfer without consequence. It's good for CFB and the idea of parity if you can't just go transfer willy nilly to a better program without consequence.

I do like the grad transfer rule, though. I think that was a sensible exception that was implemented.

I still don't know why Sarr got to play this year. Maybe the answer is somewhere in this thread, but it's 8 pages long. Did he graduate?

Almost every transfer was approved for immediate eligibility this season because Covid.

Almost every transfer was approved for immediate eligibility this season because Covid.

Good to know. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess since they determined that this year wasn't a strike against eligibility that they could waive it or something.

This is ungood. Actually more surprised with the Rucker news than KW3.

So just doing a quick look back over Loses and Gains since the transfer portal started.

2021: 5 losses 0 gains
2020: 8 losses 4 gains
2019: 4 losses 1 gain

Nothing statistically significant. By comparison to the rest of the ACC our roster tends to have more stability.

Back