• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Penn State even good at basketball?

Can someone get one of those dome microphones they use in the NFL? I would seriously love to hear timeout discussion. All Manning can be saying is largely platitudes, because in no way would a coach ever say, "Ok Brandon, you dribble around, maybe get a screen and the other four stand around and wait. If you get the ball, chuck it up there". That's what we see on the court, so what in the world are they discussing in timeouts? Nothing?

In many cases, it would be silence. During a particularly long video review, Manning stood around with his arms crossed while Chambers was coaching his team.

This game was particularly painful as it reemphasized what a huge talent deficit we have compared to lower to mid level Power 5 teams. Obviously a new coach will help significantly, but this won’t be a quick turnaround. We have attracted marginal ACC talent that wants to say they played b-ball in the ACC, but also knows they likely aren’t going to the NCAA tournament, and are going to lose more than win. And they are fine with that.

This game was particularly painful as it reemphasized what a huge talent deficit we have compared to lower to mid level Power 5 teams. Obviously a new coach will help significantly, but this won’t be a quick turnaround. We have attracted marginal ACC talent that wants to say they played b-ball in the ACC, but also knows they likely aren’t going to the NCAA tournament, and are going to lose more than win. And they are fine with that.

So who is the Dave Clawson of college basketball?

So who is the Dave Clawson of college basketball?

We don't want or need the Dave Clawson of college basketball. Different sport. We should be able to hire a coach that can use our facilities, conference and budget to have us ranked in 1-2 seasons. Every player on this team can be recruited over by a good coach in a couple of classes.

I disagree with 3 aspects of this post. 1) This year, Penn State is not a lower to mid level Power 5 team. They are ranked 23 in kenpom, are 7-1 on the year, and have blow out wins over Georgetown and Syracuse. Whether you want to admit it or not, PSU looks like a good P5 team at this point of the year. 2) Our talent isn't that bad. With a good coach, this collection of players could make the NCAA tournament. 3) Most importantly, turnarounds in basketball can happen very quickly with a good coach. We have everything needed for a good coach to immediately make Wake into a consistent NCAA tournament program.

They struck me as a top 25 team. They missed a lot of open threes and still romped is us. Good ball movement, athletic guards, really good defense.

I'm sure they're good. I mean, teams are prone to do stupid shit and look careless when they are playing against a middle school team. Hard to maintain focus when you can goof around and win by 20+.

...and just beat #4 and undefeated Maryland tonight 76-69.

So to answer the question in the thread title........Yes.

guys, it must be asked....will the Penn State defeat make us look good enough to keep Manning around?

I disagree with 3 aspects of this post. 1) This year, Penn State is not a lower to mid level Power 5 team. They are ranked 23 in kenpom, are 7-1 on the year, and have blow out wins over Georgetown and Syracuse. Whether you want to admit it or not, PSU looks like a good P5 team at this point of the year. 2) Our talent isn't that bad. With a good coach, this collection of players could make the NCAA tournament. 3) Most importantly, turnarounds in basketball can happen very quickly with a good coach. We have everything needed for a good coach to immediately make Wake into a consistent NCAA tournament program.

Kind of agree with this. Don't feel our talent is all that awful, which is probably even more of an indictment on the staff. A good coach should be able to come in and turn it around fairly quickly (have us competing for an NCAA tournament birth by year 2).

We have lost a decade, but we are one coach away from being a household name. In fact in Mississippi, the first question I always get in small talk about Wake Forest is 'how is your basketball team, ya'll are pretty good in basketball aren't you?' I would say that the vast majority of the country still knows Wake for Tim Duncan and Chris Paul. We don't have many years left to capitalize on the amazing gift of those two HOF players. The next hire is incredibly important.

No doubt WF could be better with the current roster, but it's a stretch to claim that there is NCAA Tourney level talent on this team.

There is no one on this roster that is even a long shot for the NBA. When looking at WF's NCAA tournament teams, almost all of them had at least one, and many had multiple, sure fire future NBA players (even the one team that Manning took the dance had a lottery pick). Two years ago, BC had a team with two future NBA players, Ky Bowman and Jerome Robinson, and they couldn't make it to the dance. In the ACC, team's generally need a future NBA player and/or a handful of other guys that are close to that level to get into the top half of the conference.

Back