• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Penn State even good at basketball?

deacvision7

Mod Emeritus
Reaction score
Just got the google alert that we lost by 22 to Penn State.

That's not good, right?

We were down 30+ much of the game. The main reason to watch the second half was to see if PSU would double us up. They were favored by 11.5 away. Apparently they are good at basketball and got votes.

I watched a lot of it. Penn St. is not good at basketball.

The Wake offense was atrocious. If Penn St could shoot, it might have been 40 or more.

I have a penn st friend who says he thinks Penn ST makes the tourney this year, FWIW.

I guess hoping for an outside chance to make the tournament is one definition of good. For Manning and Currie that would be unattainable, unimaginably great. We should self impose the death penalty for what we have done to ourselves and the game of basketball. Issue a cease and desist order until we get a new coach. Is it too soon to fire Currie?

Too soon too soon. He went down on madonna too soon too soon. Lyrics from the song tiger woods by Dan bern.

Since we have no coach and create 90% of everything that "just happens" off the dribble even an 8th grade team could defend us pretty well. Our guards are dribbleholics especially Childress. Reminds me of coaching my son's team when he was 9-10 years old. Manning certainly has to be the worst D1 coach in history. We play for the difficult twisting floater or the long jump shot thus our consistent 30% shooting %. Until this dumbass is gone nothing will change.

From the little I've watched over the past few seasons, other teams don't need to be good at basketball to easily beat us.

Seems like they're good this year at least. Must be nice.

They had no semblance of a half court offense. Definitely a few good players, though.

I think for Penn State, they have a good team this year and obviously much better than us. Penn State's basketball program is like Bama's basketball program, completely overshadowed by it's football program as evidenced last night as their arena wasn't even close to half full, yet they pack 100,000+ for football games against MAC teams.

I think I'd rank Bama's basketball program quite a bit higher than Penn State's.

PSU retains their players and have all 5 starters back from last season.... Hmmmm

I do not recall watching a game with constant turnovers by Wake. The freshman from NY every time he passed the ball it was a turnover. The guards crippled and then turned the ball over. No pick an role. Overall awful game. The players seemed to be sleep walking.

the first half was so painful I turned if off early. It wasn't how bad they played necessarily, because their play was in step with the past many years of Manning's teams, the details which others have already gone over.
What pained me the most was they looked like a completely different team that played a fairly good game against Arizona. Against Arizona, they seemed to be of one mind, especially on offense. This team looked like they either a) wanted to lose or b) had no idea what to do. Rudderless, leaderless.

Can someone get one of those dome microphones they use in the NFL? I would seriously love to hear timeout discussion. All Manning can be saying is largely platitudes, because in no way would a coach ever say, "Ok Brandon, you dribble around, maybe get a screen and the other four stand around and wait. If you get the ball, chuck it up there". That's what we see on the court, so what in the world are they discussing in timeouts? Nothing?

Back