• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Soccer final four

socaldeac

Reaction score
I have not been to Raleigh area for years. I plan to attend college cup in Cary, any recommendations on a nice place to stay and things to do... Thanks.

Also, what will the vibe be at the stadium. Will we have a home field advantage?

nice stay - The Umstead

guessing that UVa and Georgetown will travel, but know there will be a very good Deacon contingent

What’s the ticket situation? Do you really have to commit to 43 per for Friday and Sunday sessions?

What’s the ticket situation? Do you really have to commit to 43 per for Friday and Sunday sessions?

I just bought a ticket for Friday and will try to get a ticket for Sunday from a UVa fan at the exit if Wake wins.

Umstead is nice but super expensive and nothing around. I would try and stay in downtown Raleigh. Lots to do, good food and bars, etc.

Wakemed park holds 10k - i can’t imagine it’ll sell out (or even be close) but maybe i’m missing something....

IIRC, I don't recall very good attendance from watching on tv in the past. I just don't think parents of summer soccer clubs care about soccer in Dec cold weather.

IIRC, I don't recall very good attendance from watching on tv in the past. I just don't think parents of summer soccer clubs care about soccer in Dec cold weather.

the 08 game was hype

Wakemed park holds 10k - i can’t imagine it’ll sell out (or even be close) but maybe i’m missing something....
Was on phone and thought it was only allowing both session tickets. Looks like $27 per for Friday session, which is still a little steep for a casual fan but I'm going to try and make it if weather looks alright.

Umstead is nice but super expensive and nothing around. I would try and stay in downtown Raleigh. Lots to do, good food and bars, etc.

I agree. The Umstead is great if you want a weekend where you just stay at a hotel/spa, but you're not walking anywhere. Downtown Raleigh or Durham are good options with lots of great food, bars, things to do. Downtown Durham kind of flies under the radar for things like this, but getting to the field takes just about as long from either downtown (Raleigh is slightly closer in terms of distance but expect about a 20-25 min car ride from either downtown).

If you want to stay really close to the field and still be in a spot where you can walk around a smaller downtown I would check out the Mayton in downtown Cary. We won a stay there at a silent auction a few years ago and it's nice and downtown Cary is fine I guess.

Was on phone and thought it was only allowing both session tickets. Looks like $27 per for Friday session, which is still a little steep for a casual fan but I'm going to try and make it if weather looks alright.

Where are you seeing this? I'm seeing 55 for Friday. I'm not seeing where you can purchase individual sessions for Friday.

I agree. The Umstead is great if you want a weekend where you just stay at a hotel/spa, but you're not walking anywhere. Downtown Raleigh or Durham are good options with lots of great food, bars, things to do. Downtown Durham kind of flies under the radar for things like this, but getting to the field takes just about as long from either downtown (Raleigh is slightly closer in terms of distance but expect about a 20-25 min car ride from either downtown).

If you want to stay really close to the field and still be in a spot where you can walk around a smaller downtown I would check out the Mayton in downtown Cary. We won a stay there at a silent auction a few years ago and it's nice and downtown Cary is fine I guess.

HaHa, downtown Cary is awesome. The Cotton House is a great little brewery right beside the Mayton Inn. There are several other great little restaurants, bars and breweries within walking distance from there. The Pharmacy (bottle shop/brewery), Crosstown Pub, Bond Brothers brewery, Pros Epicurian (great food), The SideBar, Pizzeria Faulisi (great wood fired pizza), Postmaster restaurant....
In all seriousness, downtown Cary has gone from zero to pretty awesome in the last 5-7 years.

Hate to play the #1 seed but at least we don't play Stanford until the final (assuming we get past Virginia). Wake never seems to be able to beat Stanford. Maybe we have, but it seems like we have not.

If you are coming from out of town, stay in downtown Raleigh or even downtown Durham. There's much more going on there than Cary. The Deacon Club should have a big tailgate.

HaHa, downtown Cary is awesome. The Cotton House is a great little brewery right beside the Mayton Inn. There are several other great little restaurants, bars and breweries within walking distance from there. The Pharmacy (bottle shop/brewery), Crosstown Pub, Bond Brothers brewery, Pros Epicurian (great food), The SideBar, Pizzeria Faulisi (great wood fired pizza), Postmaster restaurant....
In all seriousness, downtown Cary has gone from zero to pretty awesome in the last 5-7 years.

Really has gotten a lot better. I would have never thought of venturing out to Cary to visit friends until the last few years and it's actually not a bad way to spend a Friday/Saturday night now. All good recs from scooter

Back