• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presidents Cup

Entertaining day. Coming down to the wire. Kuchar and Fowler not exactly known for clutch play. Will be interesting.

And it’s Kutcher that gets us over the top. Barely.

Tiger played so well this week. He’s still the best in the world** on courses like this, where you need to hit a variety of shots, put your ball in the correct position, and not miss in the wrong spot.

**Brooks Koepka possibly excluded

On another note, how much more entertaining was this being played on a golf course as good as Royal Melbourne? (As opposed to the tricked up garbage golf courses that the Euros pick every four years for the Ryder Cup?)

It may be. Huge momentum swings.
We need somebody to get lucky.

I guess I could google it, but ties retain the cup.... right?

It struck me how far ahead the US was in OWR in the majority of matches today.

Losing, even from 2 points down, would have been a big disappointment.

Nope. Tie is simply a tie.

Since the US was the reigning champion, they would retain the cup if the total score was a tie. (It was looking like that would be the outcome for a while). When Kuchar ties his match the half point gave the US the win. Fowler’s tie in the last match added to that margin.

In a tie at the Ryder Cup, prior winner keeps the Cup.
In a tie at the Presidents Cup, they share the Cup.

On another note, how much more entertaining was this being played on a golf course as good as Royal Melbourne? (As opposed to the tricked up garbage golf courses that the Euros pick every four years for the Ryder Cup?)

I love Royal Melbourne. But I think you're being a bit unfair to the Euros. They didn't trick up the the Paris course. It played much the same as it always does for the French Open. It's a tough and tight layout with plenty of water. I blame the US team, except JT, for not playing it in the summer even though it was opposite a nondescript PGA middle of the summer event. And Furyk also deserves some blame for all 4 of his captains picks being guys who are often wild off the tee - and 3 of the 4 sucked ass. I said at the time Schauffele and Kisner would be better for that course. I was never much of a fan of the Belfry or K Club, but I loved Valderrama and Gleneagles, though I seem to recall them tightening Valderrama's that 1 year. And I don't think any of the Euro venues other than Paris have necessarily been bad for the US team. We just suck and sulk over there for some reason.

Kudos btw to Ernie this week. He was missing 2 of his usual stars in Day and Grace, and that was the 2nd lowest ranked international squad ever. But they were game and didn't get destroyed as usual in alternate shot, and it came down to the very end. Great venue and good drama, which usually isn't the case for the PC.

Tiger played so well this week. He’s still the best in the world** on courses like this, where you need to hit a variety of shots, put your ball in the correct position, and not miss in the wrong spot.

Great Event; thoroughly enjoyed it. and I couldn't agree with you more. its just too bad that so many American Courses have now taken the view that it is about length rather variety.
I mean look at Augusta dropping to #9 in the world in Golf Mags Top 100 list. Typical movement by Members to take away the variety and history of a fabled Course to suit today's fixation for length and distance.

They announced during the TV coverage that in case of a tie, the cup would be shared. Also, showed a clip from several years back of Jack Nicklaus making that concept for 'that' tourney, didn't catch which. So, not totally new concept.

Back