• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Xavier Musketeers - 4 pm Saturday - ACCN

I remember watching that ACC Final in person talking to my brother about how we can win the NCAA Championship and then of course in typical God hates wake Athletics fashion 5 minutes later Rutland gets hurt and is never the same for the rest of the year

The reality is if he was Brandon Jones, he would have likely not even gotten an offer during Rutland's time at Wake much less been as good as him.

I remember watching that ACC Final in person talking to my brother about how we can win the NCAA Championship and then of course in typical God hates wake Athletics fashion 5 minutes later Rutland gets hurt and is never the same for the rest of the year

But we still won that ACCCG because the team played GDO style defense. In fact that team went on and won 2 NCAA games before finally losing. They were warriors.

But we still won that ACCCG because the team played GDO style defense. In fact that team went on and won 2 NCAA games before finally losing. They were warriors.

3 games. Probably the last Wake team that overachieved in the postseason. Rusty Larue was our PG.

3 games. Probably the last Wake team that overachieved in the postseason. Rusty Larue was our PG.

yep
NE louisiana, Texas and Louisville

then in a tight game a bullshit block call on Peral that was a charge. wake had closed the gap on UK but that sealed it. extended lead and game over

rutland going down was so wake forest. and as others suggested, comparing him to brandon childress is ridiculous. rutland >>>>>>>>>>>> b chilldress

Larue played backup point guard for a few seasons for the Utah Jazz.

When Rutland got hurt, I had no idea Rusty could run the point, but dude was such a great athlete.

The Genesis of my personal STANFORD HATE.
LOLOLOLOLOLO

BTW: Rutland went down in Timmy's *Senior year*. We lost to Stanford in Rutland's first game back in the NCAA Second Round. Tony wasn't 100% so Mike Montgomery triple teamed (sometimes even quadruple) Timmy and basically dared Odom to win with only four guys. If Tony had been fully recovered, he likely could've handled Brevin Knight and neutralized Stanford's game plan.
That deep run where we won three straight and lost to Kentucky was the year before.

Last edited:
The Genesis of my personal STANFORD HATE.
LOLOLOLOLOLO

BTW: Rutland went down in Timmy's *Senior year*. We lost to Stanford in Rutland's first game back in the NCAA Second Round. Tony wasn't 100% so Mike Montgomery triple teamed (sometimes even quadruple) Timmy and basically dared Odom to win with only four guys. If Tony had been fully recovered, he likely could've handled Brevin Knight and neutralized Stanford's game plan.
That deep run where we won three straight and lost to Kentucky was the year before.

No, he didn't.

https://www.greensboro.com/deacs-survive-rutland-injury/article_ffd5adfe-8c09-5e0c-a5a9-432d20b80b5e.html

https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19960807-1996-08-07-9608070004-story.html

I like Neath, and think he has strong potential, but don't think his ceiling is as high as Teague or Ish.

He’s a different type of player than them both and will need to really improve to get anywhere near their levels. I expect a big jump offensively for both Neath and Ody next year. They have ACC level athleticism.

Not sure where else to put this without starting a new thread, but why do we basically play one game in about 20 days? Don’t we have the leeway for more OOC games?

Not sure where else to put this without starting a new thread, but why do we basically play one game in about 20 days? Don’t we have the leeway for more OOC games?

Exams and we had a front loaded schedule in Anaheim.

we also have only 30 games on the schedule excluding the ACC tournament; NC State and Syracuse, to name two teams, have 31 on the schedule (Clemson has 30)

Miss the days when we were excited for a tough schedule.

Exams and we had a front loaded schedule in Anaheim.

Pretty sure exams were last week. During the Anaheim tourney they also mentioned that teams were allowed to play a team from the other side of the tourney bracket basically “for free.” We didn’t do that.

Rutland was definitely injured in March of 96, Duncan's Junior year when we beat Ga Tech in the ACC final. he then had ACL surgery (after Odom infamously questioned his toughness) and came back for the beginning of 97 (the year STanford beat us in the tourney). ACL surgery in those days usually meant missing a whole calendar year so Rutland coming back in essentially 7-8 months was really amazing and he was still a solid player his senior year, just not quite as dynamic.

Rutland was definitely injured in March of 96, Duncan's Junior year when we beat Ga Tech in the ACC final. he then had ACL surgery (after Odom infamously questioned his toughness) and came back for the beginning of 97 (the year STanford beat us in the tourney). ACL surgery in those days usually meant missing a whole calendar year so Rutland coming back in essentially 7-8 months was really amazing and he was still a solid player his senior year, just not quite as dynamic.
Damn. I see my memory is faulty. Mea Culpa. :/

Back