• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your favorite season of television?

Game of Thrones S1
The Wire S3 and S4
Lost S1 and S2

Ill throw Heroes S1 out there. "Save the cheerleader, save the world" captivated the country that year.

Heroes came out when the idea of a superhero genre show was almost unthinkable.

Smallville was the only one back then and it had a hard and fast “no capes” policy.

If I remember correctly the idea going into Heroes is that they were going to tell one story about one set of heroes each season. But the Season 1 characters were so popular that they didn’t kill off the ones they played to kill off so they half assed the finale. Then had trouble fitting old characters into new storylines going forward. I remember a particularly bad season that started in Ireland or with an Irish woman or something.

Last edited:
Mad Men season 3 (though 1 is also fire - definitely my two favorites)
The Wire season 4 (maybe the best season of TV ever)

I also think season 1 of The Good Place is pretty outstanding.

Love S1 of Twin Peaks, S1-S2 of Lost, S4-S8 of the Simpsons (hard to pick among these or any season of Breaking Bad). S4 of Dexter deserves a mention.

Watchmen - Season 1

This! I don't know why more people aren't talking about this. That series was so good. I watched it and didn't really like the previous movie or really follow the comic that closely. I hope we get a Season 2.

Wasn't parks and rec season 1 pretty bad until the retooled it? Maybe that happened earlier than I remember.

Wasn't parks and rec season 1 pretty bad until the retooled it? Maybe that happened earlier than I remember.

It was uneven. But it was only like 6 episodes. The last Ep is that first season was good. Then the second season was fantastic and it kept going.

This! I don't know why more people aren't talking about this. That series was so good. I watched it and didn't really like the previous movie or really follow the comic that closely. I hope we get a Season 2.

Lindelof probably wouldn't be involved and he's making some noise that it would be appropriate for this to be the only season, but I'm sure that people that get bonuses in executive comp from HBO and DC will see to it that there's more.

Wire Season 4
Justified Season 2
Fargo Season 2
Buffy Season 2

Lots of other great shows and great seasons of shows, but those are the specific seasons that clearly stick out to me.

It was uneven. But it was only like 6 episodes. The last Ep is that first season was good. Then the second season was fantastic and it kept going.

Yeah, I saw 1 of the Paleyfest things where they were talking about this. They made Leslie less ditsy and more likeable then got rid of the not so likeable Mark after season 2. That last episode in season 1 was also where April did an adlib where she was into Andy's band, starting their season 2 flirtation. Seasons 2-6 were all great, 7 not as much. P&R was definitely my favorite sitcom ever and Ron Swanson my favorite character ever. I've also served on some local government boards, and P&R absolutely nailed it with their portrayal of the citizens of Pawnee. Local govt meetings bring out the wingnut crazies. Also nailed the murals.

Yeah, I saw 1 of the Paleyfest things where they were talking about this. They made Leslie less ditsy and more likeable then got rid of the not so likeable Mark after season 2.

I was pumped to see UNCSA alumnus Paul Schneider get a shot at a network sitcom, but he definitely overstayed his welcome on that show.

Season 4 is my favorite LOST season.

Fargo Season 2 is probably my favorite season in the last decade.

Wire season 3 probably my favorite ever.

None of the posts on True Detective S1 have mentioned THAT Alexandra Daddario scene...

For those who prefer The Wire S4 over S3, what puts it ahead for you?

Subject matter. S3 is also great, but the school storyline just punched me in the gut. I might feel differently if I watch the series again.

For those who prefer The Wire S4 over S3, what puts it ahead for you?
I offer this take merely as subjective preference, not at all of objective taste. S4, in my opinion, carries a greater emotional weight to the main storyline in the schools. I think with the kids' diverse character backgrounds and arcs illustrate the show's predominate theme that outcomes aren't always meritorious and are often predetermined. I think Prezbo also serves as a great meditation on white liberalism, resisting the easy narrative that a lone white savior will succeed. I don't feel that he ultimately atones for the massive fuckups he causes in S1 (in ways that Bubbles does), but he's at least an interesting and complex, albeit flawed man. Season 4 also seems to link the various social institutions and webs much more seamlessly than prior seasons. As Carcetti reveals his loathesome self in the mayor's office, we see how even the most flippant, subtle shit really does flow down hill.

Back