• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

Recently cut cable...I have ACCN on YouTube TV...Is there a way to get either of those channels without cable?

Yes you can use ESPN app and put in YouTube info. That’s what I do. But like I said today isn’t even on accnx. Which is lame

Lanzili homer. 5-3 Deacs. A much needed insurance run.

Gave one away yesterday, but probably should have lost Friday, so about what we deserve this weekend.

Yea decent start to the season I reckon. Not sure if we remain ranked, but that’s not really important. Then again, there are a ton of polls, so we will probably stay in at least one of them.

Deacs win three of four games. Do that for the remainder of the season and a ticket to Omaha is the prize.

Long Beach will be a good barometer for ACC and Omaha, IMO. They've beat Cal twice and are currently in the 3rd game of the series. (Haven't played anyone else.)

Les tweeted that it was a passed ball that got away from catcher, and Poteet beat the throw but overslid the bag. Blaming the loss on that is silly, and it’s not on Walter.

Live Stats said "ball in dirt". If it was a true "passed ball" then it makes more sense to run. I'm not up on baseball terms/rules enough to know specifics, but passed ball in reality seems to mean ball gets by catcher, usually all the way to backstop (or at least, behind him). Ball in dirt means not in mit, but usually somewhere in about a 5-6 ft arc in front of catcher. Harder to steal on that than a passed ball. (Someone that knows the technical difference in terms, please share.)

And I was wrong earlier about the 2 instances. The one in the 2nd or 3rd inning was on a Milwaukee runner we tagged and was called safe. Walter took a long time talking to the umps before they reviewed it, only to determine "call stands". (I was there for that part but left shortly after due to the cold, so I didn't see the end.)

I think the earlier post about the relief pitching failing us and being the main cause of a L, is probably accurate. Whether Walter or Poteet determined the attempted steal, it did seem risky given the circumstances (only 1 out) and the results of the poor relief, which was a 2 run deficit in the B9.

Whether it’s a passed ball or a wild pitch is up to the official scorer. But you will never see a catcher charged with a passed ball if it hits the dirt before it reaches him.

Live Stats said "ball in dirt". If it was a true "passed ball" then it makes more sense to run. I'm not up on baseball terms/rules enough to know specifics, but passed ball in reality seems to mean ball gets by catcher, usually all the way to backstop (or at least, behind him). Ball in dirt means not in mit, but usually somewhere in about a 5-6 ft arc in front of catcher. Harder to steal on that than a passed ball. (Someone that knows the technical difference in terms, please share.)

And I was wrong earlier about the 2 instances. The one in the 2nd or 3rd inning was on a Milwaukee runner we tagged and was called safe. Walter took a long time talking to the umps before they reviewed it, only to determine "call stands". (I was there for that part but left shortly after due to the cold, so I didn't see the end.)

I think the earlier post about the relief pitching failing us and being the main cause of a L, is probably accurate. Whether Walter or Poteet determined the attempted steal, it did seem risky given the circumstances (only 1 out) and the results of the poor relief, which was a 2 run deficit in the B9.

Wild Pitch and Passed Ball are official scoring terms. Ball in dirt is not. Quick answer is if scorer thinks it's the pitcher's fault it's recorded as WP. If it's the catcher's fault it's recorded as passed ball. Both of those are only recorded if a runner advances atleast one base. In this case the catcher threw Poteet out so nothing is recorded in the scorebook. Doesn't matter where/how far away the ball ends up.

ETA: Just looked at Les's tweet and he actually just said the "ball gets away." Without seeing it I'm sure Poteet thought it was worth the risk to take the DP away and it sounds like he was right as he beat the throw apparently. Just bad luck on the slide. (Know your field turf!) As to the above conversation, if he had not been called out it would have been scored either WP or PB depending on the scorer's judgment but it is moot as Poteet was retired.

Last edited:
Back