• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

A lot of teams ranked in the pre-season polls lost a game or two against low-profile teams:

#1 Vandy lost to Cal-Poly (and to Michigan who is now #1)

#2 L'vile lost 2 games to unranked Ole Miss

#3 Arizona State lost to Villanova

#12 FSU lost to Niagara

#14 LSU lost Indiana

#15 Duke lost to Army

#16 OK State lost to Grand Canyon

#21 GT lost to St. John's

FWIW, WF plays at Long Beach State this weekend, and the Dirtbags just took two of three from Cal, who is expected to be strong in the Pac 12 this year.

It will be interesting to see if the strikeout uptick continues, perhaps the pitching tech investment is paying dividends.

FYI, Diamond Deacs play the UNCG Fighting Wes Millers today, and UNCG is off to a strong start. They opened the season playing 3 games at Coastal Carolina. The results:

- Lost to Coastal
- Beat VT
- Beat San Diego State.

Last year, UNCG went 34-20 and split two games against WF. These are the kind of games that WF needs to win the vast majority of.

According to the UNCG website its Alex Hoppe for UNCG against Riley Myers for WF. Myers is the transfer from D-2 Catawba. Myers pitched an 1 2/3 against Milwaukee on Saturday, and gave up 2 runs.

3-1 Deacs going to B3. Beautiful DP from Simoneit on a foul ball in LF.

Took out Myers after 3 1/3 up 4-1. Odd.

Myers pitched on Saturday, and they probably want to have the option of using him this weekend against LB State. 59 pitches given the start of the season, and the need to keep options open makes sense.

Nice win. The entire pitching staff should be in great shape for the weekend. Everybody got to get some good work in, but not too much work. This is a win on top of a win. Long Beach State is going to be a big test this weekend. It would be great to get 2 of 3 and start the season off 5-2 or maybe even winning them all and go 6-1. It’s baseball though, pretty unlikely we win all of em.

Logan Harvey did a great job commentating this one as Deacon22 mentioned. I didn’t know how it was going to go at first, but Evan Lepler (who we all know is amazing) and Harvey made a great duo! I hope they’re on again or Stan and Lary can’t go.

Nice win. The entire pitching staff should be in great shape for the weekend. Everybody got to get some good work in, but not too much work. This is a win on top of a win. Long Beach State is going to be a big test this weekend. It would be great to get 2 of 3 and start the season off 5-2 or maybe even winning them all and go 6-1. It’s baseball though, pretty unlikely we win all of em.

Logan Harvey did a great job commentating this one as Deacon22 mentioned. I didn’t know how it was going to go at first, but Evan Lepler (who we all know is amazing) and Harvey made a great duo! I hope they’re on again or Stan and Lary can’t go.

Aren’t we 4-1 now?

Announced that the game will now me postponed to a later date.

Game suspended after five innings, due to rain, with the Deacs leading by a score of 6 - 2. Will be completed at a later date.

That is strange as I would think it was in Walter's hand to decide to take the W since 5 innings completed.

Why in the hell would he say yes to this? It says in the Wake release that it’s tentatively scheduled for when they play again in April. Just seems like the disadvantage goes to us. Maybe we think we have a deep enough pitching staff that we could handle playing the DH’s. But it seems like we always go 1-1 in DH’s. Why not just move on with the W in our pocket?

I’d love for Conor or Les to ask.

Back