• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

Good question. In light of the increasing acceptability of the one and done in basketball, which i dislike, maybe Wake needs to re-consider the JC transfer position. Once a college has bought into the one and done, what the hell is there to complain about JC transfers?

Wake academic side has decided that JuCo credits aren't good enough to replace Wake lower division classes. So any JuCo student who enrolls at Wake is four years away from graduation, not two. By NCAA rules, an athlete in that is in that circumstance is ineligible.

Wake academic side has decided that JuCo credits aren't good enough to replace Wake lower division classes. So any JuCo student who enrolls at Wake is four years away from graduation, not two. By NCAA rules, an athlete in that is in that circumstance is ineligible.

According to the WF admissions website, Wake Forest does accept Junior College/Community College credits. Maybe WF is strict about which credits they accept or perhaps, they don't accept 100% of the credits, but WF (and it would go against the policy of being inclusive and open to those from disadvantaged background) does not have a blanket policy of rejecting all community college credits.

According to the WF admissions website, Wake Forest does accept Junior College/Community College credits. Maybe WF is strict about which credits they accept or perhaps, they don't accept 100% of the credits, but WF (and it would go against the policy of being inclusive and open to those from disadvantaged background) does not have a blanket policy of rejecting all community college credits.

Wake is strict enough that JuCo athletes don't get enough accepted to be juniors upon enrollment at Wake. Hence, they don't meet academic standards.

Wake is strict enough that JuCo athletes don't get enough accepted to be juniors upon enrollment at Wake. Hence, they don't meet academic standards.

As one in academia, Wake is a college first and this is a good call. JuCo credits are largely a joke. They will not set up someone to succeed at Wake the vast majority of the time.

As one in academia, Wake is a college first and this is a good call. JuCo credits are largely a joke. They will not set up someone to succeed at Wake the vast majority of the time.

That is not my experience. I knew three JuCo transfers to Wake. Two finished Wake with GPAs sufficient to get them into Med school. The third finished Wake and went to Wake Law. They seemed adequately prepared to handle Wake academics.

I didn't think that JuCo academics have gone downhill that far since then. But apparently Wake thinks so.

That is not my experience. I knew three JuCo transfers to Wake. Two finished Wake with GPAs sufficient to get them into Med school. The third finished Wake and went to Wake Law. They seemed adequately prepared to handle Wake academics.

I didn't think that JuCo academics have gone downhill that far since then. But apparently Wake thinks so.

The problem is that most of these kids went the JuCo route and wouldn’t have qualified out of HS. Wake doesn’t know what most of these JuCos are and especially how they treat athletes. Look at it this way. Did you watch Last Chance U? Even if a kid got a 4.0 at one of those schools, especially as an athlete, they don’t know if someone else did all the work or if the class was just a joke. I respect that Wake doesn’t cave on stuff like this just for sports to be successful.

The problem is that most of these kids went the JuCo route and wouldn’t have qualified out of HS. Wake doesn’t know what most of these JuCos are and especially how they treat athletes. Look at it this way. Did you watch Last Chance U? Even if a kid got a 4.0 at one of those schools, especially as an athlete, they don’t know if someone else did all the work or if the class was just a joke. I respect that Wake doesn’t cave on stuff like this just for sports to be successful.

Baseball is very different from other sports with respect to JuCo. Many qualified guys go to JuCo to get the extra shot at the MLB draft available to JuCo grads but not to Four year school sophomores.

Wake could vet JuCos if they wanted to. Also, if grads from some JuCos are good enough for Vandy, Rice etc., they should be good enough for Wake. There ate academic ratings for JuCos just like for four year schools. Wake admissions could read some of them.

There may also be financial reasons why a qualified guy gies JuCo. One or two years at Wake on partial scholarship may be financially feasible. Three or four may not be.

The "last chance U" stuff is irrelevant to the situation of the vast majority of HS baseball players choosing JuCo.

Baseball is very different from other sports with respect to JuCo. Many qualified guys go to JuCo to get the extra shot at the MLB draft available to JuCo grads but not to Four year school sophomores.

Wake could vet JuCos if they wanted to. Also, if grads from some JuCos are good enough for Vandy, Rice etc., they should be good enough for Wake. There ate academic ratings for JuCos just like for four year schools. Wake admissions could read some of them.

There may also be financial reasons why a qualified guy gies JuCo. One or two years at Wake on partial scholarship may be financially feasible. Three or four may not be.

The "last chance U" stuff is irrelevant to the situation of the vast majority of HS baseball players choosing JuCo.

I get the baseball specific argument but this is not a baseball specific question. It is a policy for the entire school and admissions office and one that I am fine keeping even if it hurts us in baseball.

I get the baseball specific argument but this is not a baseball specific question. It is a policy for the entire school and admissions office and one that I am fine keeping even if it hurts us in baseball.

Considering this discussion is part if the Wake Baseball 2020 thread, the existence of Wake's self imposed handicap, with respect to admitting JuCo graduates is relevant.

Wake has removed a significant number of potential recruits from the baseball recruiting pool. That is relevant to the "Wake is following the Vandy model" discussion. There is a big difference in that Wake baseball does not have access to the JuCo players. This restriction is relatively recent, coming sometime after Wake's last ACC title.

In college sports, baseball is unique with respect to JuCos, because of the MLB draft rules. That is part of why Wake remains mediocre in baseball when other minor sports are contending for championships. As long as the self-imposed restriction exists, Wake has no realistic opportunity to compete in baseball.

The talent puddle for Wake baseball recruiting is bounded by MLB draft signees at the top and the financial considerations of three or four years at Wake with only partial scholarship support.

Considering this discussion is part if the Wake Baseball 2020 thread, the existence of Wake's self imposed handicap, with respect to admitting JuCo graduates is relevant.

Wake has removed a significant number of potential recruits from the baseball recruiting pool. That is relevant to the "Wake is following the Vandy model" discussion. There is a big difference in that Wake baseball does not have access to the JuCo players. This restriction is relatively recent, coming sometime after Wake's last ACC title.

In college sports, baseball is unique with respect to JuCos, because of the MLB draft rules. That is part of why Wake remains mediocre in baseball when other minor sports are contending for championships. As long as the self-imposed restriction exists, Wake has no realistic opportunity to compete in baseball.

The talent puddle for Wake baseball recruiting is bounded by MLB draft signees at the top and the financial considerations of three or four years at Wake with only partial scholarship support.

I understand where you think it’s relevant. You don’t have to talk to me like I’m a 2 year old. You are massively overestimating the importance of these players and how many we would have on the team. Also, we did almost make the CWS without them.

I'm not taking a position on the JUCO transfer stuff. I will say that Community College academics (in NC at least) have declined substantially over the last 15 or so years. But, the same could probably be said about high schools as well. The academic rigor at community colleges/jucos isn't in the same ballpark as freshman classes at Wake. Obviously that doesn't mean good students can't go the juco route and be successful at Wake. I'd have a hard time thinking of a student who completed two years of JUCO and two years at Wake as having remotely the same experience as four years at Wake. Whether or not that matters I know not.

you have posted this complaint many times

one of the previous times you posted it, I went back and looked at Vandy's entire rosters over several years and I believe they had a grand total, over many years, of 2 JUCO transfers

I'm not going to do the research again, but based on that previous research, JUCO transfers are not and haven't been an integral part of the Vandy strategy

Vandy's strategy appears to be more related to financial aid than anything else.

you have posted this complaint many times

one of the previous times you posted it, I went back and looked at Vandy's entire rosters over several years and I believe they had a grand total, over many years, of 2 JUCO transfers

I'm not going to do the research again, but based on that previous research, JUCO transfers are not and haven't been an integral part of the Vandy strategy

This. If these players are so good, then they get drafted and go pro. If they aren’t, then they likely went to JuCo for academic reasons and can’t cut it at Wake.

This. If these players are so good, then they get drafted and go pro. If they aren’t, then they likely went to JuCo for academic reasons and can’t cut it at Wake.

Not “This”. Rotten take here. As mentioned by others, the draft is the #1 reason why the top JUCO baseball players chose that route, not academic non qualifications.

Check out the BIG Ten player of the year last year, Jordan Brewer. JUCO kid who helped lead them to national runner-up. Obviously handled the academic side as well. Would be nice to get a player like that to Wake. If Michigan admissions can give their baseball staff that recruiting advantage, Wake should as well. Putting our coaching staff behind the 8 ball, otherwise.

Not “This”. Rotten take here. As mentioned by others, the draft is the #1 reason why the top JUCO baseball players chose that route, not academic non qualifications.

Check out the BIG Ten player of the year last year, Jordan Brewer. JUCO kid who helped lead them to national runner-up. Obviously handled the academic side as well. Would be nice to get a player like that to Wake. If Michigan admissions can give their baseball staff that recruiting advantage, Wake should as well. Putting our coaching staff behind the 8 ball, otherwise.

As said above, that is one player. We would have 1-2 max on the whole team. So, yes, “this.” That is also in the Big Ten which is terrible at baseball. Again, if they are that good, then they get drafted.

To add to this, the 2018 CWS champion Oregon State Beavers had a whopping 0 JuCo players.

Back