• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

If we had just a few on the team would it be hard for admissions to vet those few?

This is why I keep repeating that it isn’t a baseball issue. Of course it wouldn’t be hard, but Wake isn’t going to allow JuCos for baseball only. They will have to allow them for all sports and into the general student population. So it isn’t just a few players. It’s hundreds of potential applicants.

This is why I keep repeating that it isn’t a baseball issue. Of course it wouldn’t be hard, but Wake isn’t going to allow JuCos for baseball only. They will have to allow them for all sports and into the general student population. So it isn’t just a few players. It’s hundreds of potential applicants.

I wonder if Vandy has them on their other teams.

Last edited:
Girardi also played for the Winston-Salem Spirits on his way up to the Cubs.

I don't claim to know how it's affected recruiting at this point but I can tell you first hand that it's more than just an interest piece. I don't know what other collegiate baseball programs have as far as pitching labs, but it really is high tech stuff and could benefit a young pitcher who has the tools but needs to be refined. I have been in the lab many times and have seen what it's capable of (through travel/showcase baseball).

maybe the fancy new machine will get us some fancy new recruits but how did it translate into wins and losses for the 2019 season? seems to me like it was the same old results wasn't it. Maybe the fancy equipment makes you overthink the position of see ball, grip ball, throw ball at edge of strike zone

maybe the fancy new machine will get us some fancy new recruits but how did it translate into wins and losses for the 2019 season? seems to me like it was the same old results wasn't it. Maybe the fancy equipment makes you overthink the position of see ball, grip ball, throw ball at edge of strike zone

One job of the pitching lab is to get Wake better recruits, particularly pitchers. Recruits always lag 2-3 years behind any notable attractant, like pitching lab, bowl wins etc. Most recruits have a list well before they sign. They eliminate schools from there.

Pitching lab and pub like mentioned, should get Wake on the radar of guys who wouldn't have looked at Wake before.

It has been mentioned many time already that the "fancy new machine" wasn't really used last year. The pitching coach change happened in late in the process and nobody really knew (or had time to figure out) how to use it. I would hope that a year plus later and that is no longer the case.

Wait....why was the original FieldTurf replaced so soon ?

It’s been the playing surface since 2011. It was starting to get worn about around the bases and at the plate. Even the outfield was starting to ware. It’s really hard to field balls when they’re coming at you so fast. That turf wasn’t slowing down anything. The new turf is supposed to play like real grass. It looks nice, hopefully it feels nice for the players on it.

It has been mentioned many time already that the "fancy new machine" wasn't really used last year. The pitching coach change happened in late in the process and nobody really knew (or had time to figure out) how to use it. I would hope that a year plus later and that is no longer the case.

Thanks for posting that and I agree.

It’s been the playing surface since 2011. It was starting to get worn about around the bases and at the plate. Even the outfield was starting to ware. It’s really hard to field balls when they’re coming at you so fast. That turf wasn’t slowing down anything. The new turf is supposed to play like real grass. It looks nice, hopefully it feels nice for the players on it.

If it doesn't rain us out this weekend, I will get an up close look at it with my sons team.

When I was a junior ('78/'79) we had 2 new guys in our suite who were both juniors: one from Mt. Olive and one from Wingate. Pretty sure Mt. Olive was 2 yr school and Wingate had been but was transitioning. Neither played a sport.

When I was a junior ('78/'79) we had 2 new guys in our suite who were both juniors: one from Mt. Olive and one from Wingate. Pretty sure Mt. Olive was 2 yr school and Wingate had been but was transitioning. Neither played a sport.

That was before Wake decided JuCo credits weren't good enough for Wake. I knew a number of Wake students who came from Mitchell College, Louisburg College, Rowan-Cabarrus College and similar places.

Back