• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

That was before Wake decided JuCo credits weren't good enough for Wake. I knew a number of Wake students who came from Mitchell College, Louisburg College, Rowan-Cabarrus College and similar places.

Many students came to Wake from junior colleges. Common feeders were Mars Hill, Wingate, and Brevard. Tony Byers was from junior college. I think Jesse Helms might have come from Wingate. I know Billy the Whore came from Wingate.

Many students came to Wake from junior colleges. Common feeders were Mars Hill, Wingate, and Brevard. Tony Byers was from junior college. I think Jesse Helms might have come from Wingate. I know Billy the Whore came from Wingate.

There was a time Wake was accepting about 100 JuCo grads every year as incoming juniors. Not anymore.

ETA:

I mentioned those three because three guys I hung with at Wake came from those three schools.

Last edited:
Got a chance to hit some groundballs on the new turf last night. It does seem to play a bit slower and the ball would die a bit when I tried to hit high "bouncers" to the kids. The thickness of it is very noticeable when you walk on it compared to the old stuff. It looks great (although I'm still a dirt and grass guy) and was definitely needed as the old turf was getting worn especially around the bases and home plate. The Deacon head behind home plate is darker than usual and I'm not sure if I like the tint of it.

Got a chance to hit some groundballs on the new turf last night. It does seem to play a bit slower and the ball would die a bit when I tried to hit high "bouncers" to the kids. The thickness of it is very noticeable when you walk on it compared to the old stuff. It looks great (although I'm still a dirt and grass guy) and was definitely needed as the old turf was getting worn especially around the bases and home plate. The Deacon head behind home plate is darker than usual and I'm not sure if I like the tint of it.

Interesting. Maybe the Deacon head looks darker because it’s next to that brighter, upbeat gold?

The real question is can you still start your slide 30 feet in front of second?

Likely a tough year for our schedule. Five ACC teams ranked ahead of us.

I knew Seymour had a great year last year, but wow:

Last year saw the pair become two of the top hitters in the ACC and earn All-America status. Seymour’s 92 RBI were the most in Division I since Buster Posey had 93 in 2008, and he was named the ACC player of the year.

Strong company.

I like the unis.
Re:the article. Great as always, Conor. No worries here about the offense. My pitching concerns are still huge. Same story, different year.

I like the unis.
Re:the article. Great as always, Conor. No worries here about the offense. My pitching concerns are still huge. Same story, different year.

Much appreciated.

And yeah ... I wanted to knock out the Lanzilli/Seymour story ahead of tomorrow's practice because we'll have interviews tomorrow, and I'll dive in with interviews with a couple of pitchers and Hendricks, hopefully have something on that next week. I've heard really good things about Shuster and Cusick, in particular, and about a few others like Menendez, Fleming and Witt.

Much appreciated.

And yeah ... I wanted to knock out the Lanzilli/Seymour story ahead of tomorrow's practice because we'll have interviews tomorrow, and I'll dive in with interviews with a couple of pitchers and Hendricks, hopefully have something on that next week. I've heard really good things about Shuster and Cusick, in particular, and about a few others like Menendez, Fleming and Witt.

Can’t wait to hear about it! I will make a blanket statement and say that we are all good with you devoting all your energy to baseball coverage and forgetting the rest of b-ball season.

Much appreciated.

at the very least, depth should be way better adding barlok, myers and smith, plus hopefully a useful / fully recovered robinson

I knew Seymour had a great year last year, but wow:

Last year saw the pair become two of the top hitters in the ACC and earn All-America status. Seymour’s 92 RBI were the most in Division I since Buster Posey had 93 in 2008, and he was named the ACC player of the year.

Strong company.

Yeah more emphasis that our pitching sucked camel dicks.

Back