• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

Can’t wait to hear about it! I will make a blanket statement and say that we are all good with you devoting all your energy to baseball coverage and forgetting the rest of b-ball season.

But I can't leave Les to be the only one driven to insanity by mentions of paint touches and free throws!

But I can't leave Les to be the only one driven to insanity by mentions of paint touches and free throws!

I saw your tweet about staying in Anderson the other night. As someone who went there once a month growing up to see my mom’s side of the family (and also attended the game Tuesday), are you sure it was worth it?

I saw your tweet about staying in Anderson the other night. As someone who went there once a month growing up to see my mom’s side of the family (and also attended the game Tuesday), are you sure it was worth it?

haha, think I was in Anderson for all of 7 hours, 6.5 of which was sleeping. I was surprised the road trip was approved by editors, but ya know, hotels around Clemson are actually affordable when there isn't a football game. Go figure.

haha, think I was in Anderson for all of 7 hours, 6.5 of which was sleeping. I was surprised the road trip was approved by editors, but ya know, hotels around Clemson are actually affordable when there isn't a football game. Go figure.

Just a counterpoint for you. You can save those trips for baseball season. The weather will be nicer and you can get a solid 3 day trip in!

All kidding aside though, thanks for all that you do across all sports. It is extremely appreciated.

Just a counterpoint for you. You can save those trips for baseball season. The weather will be nicer and you can get a solid 3 day trip in!

All kidding aside though, thanks for all that you do across all sports. It is extremely appreciated.

+1

Season is less than two weeks away and seems like we could have a chance to be really good. Any info on a projected lineup or how the freshman that enrolled early after Christmas has looked? What about reports on how the pitchers have looked since returning to campus? Excited for the season!

Season is less than two weeks away and seems like we could have a chance to be really good. Any info on a projected lineup or how the freshman that enrolled early after Christmas has looked? What about reports on how the pitchers have looked since returning to campus? Excited for the season!

I don’t know the batting order, but this would be our best starting 9 and pitching rotation:

3rd: Will Simoneit
SS: Michael Turconi
2nd: DJ Poteet
1st: Bobby Seymour
C: Brendan Tinsman
LF: Christian Long
CF: Michael Ludowig
RF: Chris Lanzili
DH: Shane Muntz

Friday: Jared Shuster
Saturday: Ryan Cusick
Sunday: Will Flemming/Antonio Menendez
Relief:
Will Flemming/Menendez
Bobby Hearn
Ty Witt
Riley Myers
Danny Barlok
Brennen Oxford
Cole McNamee
Reese Robinson
Closer: Shane Smith

This is the best pitching staff Walters has had at Wake. I think that’s what the pitching lab has done in terms of recruiting. Coaches went out and got some really talented transfers that are going to have a huge impact.

We’ve got a lot of big time freshmen position players that are going to get the opportunity to learn from Lanzili, Seymour, and Simoneit. The program is in a really good place. But if we don’t get to supers again this year, it would be a huge disappointment.

This is a very talented squad. The only concern... so is the entire ACC. Good chance it’ll be the best conference by a good margin in 2020. Great timing given the ACC Network.

So we have a legitimate 5 to 6 guys who could hit double digit homers and the other guys are high average candidates? Sounds like we shouldn’t have any trouble scoring. Any reports on how the pitchers have looked since returning to school?

Pretty bold to even bring up the term "Omaha". It has been 65 years since the last CWS appearance.

That said, encouraging that WF had 4 pitchers play well in the Cape League. Season starts a week from Friday.

Pretty bold to even bring up the term "Omaha". It has been 65 years since the last CWS appearance.

That said, encouraging that WF had 4 pitchers play well in the Cape League. Season starts a week from Friday.

They did the same thing last season and we saw how that went.

We were one game away three years ago

Yeah guys stop with your optimism. Not meant for these boards.

The pitching staff will get an early stress test with four games in three days opening weekend.

It's all about pitching. Good pitching stops good hitting most of the time. We saw that in '17 when we took a great hitting team down to Florida. I'll believe we have the pitching when I see it. And, even when the pitching is good, a pitcher will occasionally have a bad day and have to be relieved. That's the other point I wish to bring up here. Why would a starter be left in a game until the opposing team has scored NINE runs - in the very first inning? That happened in one game last season! A coach must know "when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em." That's a big part of coaching during a game. And, every game is important. We cannot afford to lose contests we should win. Finally, when I see a pitcher get pulled, even though he's putting up "goose eggs," just because he's reached a certain pitch count, I simply have to wonder - Is he not in shape? At his age? These young men should be able to run a couple of miles non-stop. What's another twenty pitches? Carry on!

It's all about pitching. Good pitching stops good hitting most of the time. We saw that in '17 when we took a great hitting team down to Florida. I'll believe we have the pitching when I see it. And, even when the pitching is good, a pitcher will occasionally have a bad day and have to be relieved. That's the other point I wish to bring up here. Why would a starter be left in a game until the opposing team has scored NINE runs - in the very first inning? That happened in one game last season! A coach must know "when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em." That's a big part of coaching during a game. And, every game is important. We cannot afford to lose contests we should win. Finally, when I see a pitcher get pulled, even though he's putting up "goose eggs," just because he's reached a certain pitch count, I simply have to wonder - Is he not in shape? At his age? These young men should be able to run a couple of miles non-stop. What's another twenty pitches? Carry on!

I don't think that happened in 2019

Yeah guys stop with your optimism. Not meant for these boards.

I'm optimistic to a degree about the Diamond Deacs. To me, making the NCAA field and hosting a sub-regional is optimistic. Talking Omaha, that just seems like pushing it, but would love to see it happen.

Back