• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

So far feel justified in telling all my friends, " I'll believe it when I see it" regarding our lofty rank and pre-season write-ups.

Today was just another "Walter team", especially the pitching..

Should have scored double digit runs and a blow out.....
Giving up three runs in a 9 Inning game isn't the end of the world.

So far feel justified in telling all my friends, " I'll believe it when I see it" regarding our lofty rank and pre-season write-ups.

It’s baseball, you can’t expect a blowout in any game. Giving up 3 runs in college baseball is stellar. I’ll take a walk-off win in the the middle of February any day.

Giving up three runs in a 9 Inning game isn't the end of the world.

Yea, but that kind of pitching will result in way more than 3 runs vs mid to upper ACC teams. And 10-11 runs was expected from such hyped bats. Yes, it's early and maybe we'll improve.....yada yada yada....

Sometimes, I hate our fanbase. This is baseball. Seton Hall is in the Big East. They won at UVA last year. Every win isn't going to be a blow out (especially considering the weather conditions). Just like it's stupid to claim that WF is going to Omaha after a single game; it's equally stupid to claim that that pitching is a problem when WF gave two earned runs, the starter struck out 10 in 5 2/3 innings and the staff struck out 14 in the game. The Deacs won Cusick (the starter) had some control issues, but pitched well for his first outing, and the bullpen gave up no runs in 3+ innings. Also, the new guys: Crum (scored a run; made a great defensive play); Simoneit (2 hits), and Smith (the closer) all played well. The Deacs won a close game; that's a good sign.

Amazing to me how people strain to find negatives in every situation.

I only followed on gamecast and wasn't able to watch or see the action but this did not seem like a particularly encouraging start to the season. Pitching seemed ok? Cusick had a lot of walks but three runs in the game aint bad. Hitting seemed really bad today. Our big inning looked like it was all due to an error on Seton Hall. Didn't see the play and good teams take advantage of errors but it seems like that inning could've gone nowhere. Something like 1 for 11 with RISP too. Feel like that was an issue all last year as well. Hopefully was just some early season rust and the bats will come alive sooner rather later.

Always happy to get a W though.

Pitcher control issues and light hitting are hallmarks of early season baseball. It still happens in the big leagues and they have all of spring training to get ready. This was a good first game against a decent team. I’ll take wins any way we can get them. I’ll start taking more stock in hitting and pitching results in a few weeks when it should be more polished.

Damn, at least wait till Sunday to overreact this much. This would be the equivalent of someone declaring a college football season was hopeless after about 10 minutes of game play.

It was cold so control issues can happen but I wouldn’t say having our starter hit 98 in the 6th and have 10 k’s is too awful bad. Our offense is going to be scary, first game jitters for the lofty ranking for sure..plus it’s hard to hit in such cold weather.

I hated playing in the cold. Not that I ever played college ball. But even in high school, cold weather games sucked out loud.

Sometimes, I hate our fanbase. This is baseball. Seton Hall is in the Big East. They won at UVA last year. Every win isn't going to be a blow out (especially considering the weather conditions). Just like it's stupid to claim that WF is going to Omaha after a single game; it's equally stupid to claim that that pitching is a problem when WF gave two earned runs, the starter struck out 10 in 5 2/3 innings and the staff struck out 14 in the game. The Deacs won Cusick (the starter) had some control issues, but pitched well for his first outing, and the bullpen gave up no runs in 3+ innings. Also, the new guys: Crum (scored a run; made a great defensive play); Simoneit (2 hits), and Smith (the closer) all played well. The Deacs won a close game; that's a good sign.

Amazing to me how people strain to find negatives in every situation.

Well, 80 is a dipshit. So take that into consideration.

Now if we could beat Seton Hall in hoops with our new head coach, then that would be sayin' something. :thumbsup:

Not sure how anybody could be negative about today. They are using metal/aluminum bats in 40 degrees. There aren’t going to be 20 runs scored. Don’t worry about Cusick’s pitching until he has 3-4 outings this season. Middle of February control issues are pretty normal.

Back