• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

3 years ago Wake wins WS regional and advances to Super Regional vs #1 seed Florida. We pushed Gaytors to a decisive 3rd game and lost. Still feel like we could’ve won game 1 and taken series. Great weekend regardless

I was there for the entire W-S series. The WVU game had an electric atmosphere. Despite all the hype for this season, I did not feel good with the direction it was taking. I just hope we can get to the point where we are a consistent regional host. We are definitely not there yet!

Over at GoDeacs.com, they're running a game-by-game summary of the 1955 Championship season, this being the 65th anniversary of that event. Great reading! I was there for most of the home games, and, in Summer School, I recall, we were all glued to the radio broadcasts on WFDD as the Deacs fought their way through to victory in Omaha.

That brings back memories. The baseball coach at my high school was Fran Fulghum who played at Wake in the early fifties. He was my first connection to Wake. His teams won multiple state titles over the years.

He died three days ago.

ETA:

Obituary

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the demise of Francis Fulghum, Class of 1950. He was a team mate of Gene Hooks, Charlie Teague, Moe Bauer, et al. I was still in high school in '50, but, like nearly everybody else, followed the Baseball Deacs in the sports pages of Raleigh's News and Observer. The story I can tell about Fulghum occurred in the regional game against Notre Dame in, I believe, 1949. It was the first game of the series. Early in the game, the Notre Dame batter led off by nearly hitting the ball out of the park. It went for a triple. The next batter up hit the ball to deep right center where Fulghum made the catch. The Notre Dame runner at third tagged up and headed for the plate, but was surprised, as was everybody else, that Fulghum's throw to the plate beat the runner. That one defensive play, by Fran Fulghum, seemed to take the wind out of the Notre Dame sails, and Wake Forest took the series 2 - 0. That particular Wake Forest Team was, IMHO, the greatest team we ever fielded, even though they failed to win a championship at Omaha.

There's a small college baseball tournament starting tonight - the Collegiate Summer Baseball Invitational. Austin Teel is on Team Independence. There are a handful of guys on Power Five teams.

Really awesome to see Shuster go so early, and to the Braves too! Tbh, wasn’t expecting that. He has really good stuff though, and I always thought he should’ve been the Friday night guy.

Highest WF draft pick since...?

Will Craig went 22nd overall in 2016. Then in 2017 Stuart Fairchild went 38 and Gavin Sheets went 49. Then 2018 Griffin Roberts went 43.

So this is obviously great for Shuster, but I wouldn’t say this is super out of the ordinary for Wake baseball

Highest WF draft pick since...?

Will Craig in 2016.

Wake Forest MLB First Round Draft Choices
Year Player Team Pos Slot
1994 Bret Wagner St. Louis LHP/OF 19
1999 Mike MacDougal Kansas City RHP 25
2003 Kyle Sleeth Detroit RHP 3
2006 Matt Antonelli San Diego 3B 17
2008 Allan Dykstra Tampa Bay 1B 23
2016 Will Craig Pittsburgh 3B 22
2020 Jared Shuster Atlanta LHP 25

Really awesome to see Shuster go so early, and to the Braves too! Tbh, wasn’t expecting that. He has really good stuff though, and I always thought he should’ve been the Friday night guy.

Not being the Friday night guy had as much to do with wanting to go RHP-LHP-RHP as it did with skill.

Also, depending on how the next 7-8 months play out, there's something like a 10-20% chance Cusick is a first-rounder too. Walter has made it pretty clear he thinks he's got the best "stuff" of anybody who's pitched at Wake in the last 10 years.

Duke pitcher Bryce Jarvis, son of WF and MLB pitcher Kevin Jarvis, went in the first round to the D-Backs as well.

ACC baseball was well represented in the first round with 7 players taken yesterday (none from traditional powers Clemson, UVA, GT or FSU).

Not being the Friday night guy had as much to do with wanting to go RHP-LHP-RHP as it did with skill.

Also, depending on how the next 7-8 months play out, there's something like a 10-20% chance Cusick is a first-rounder too. Walter has made it pretty clear he thinks he's got the best "stuff" of anybody who's pitched at Wake in the last 10 years.

I’m not sure I believe that Peluse’s stuff is better than Roberts’ was at Wake, but I certainly love the sound of that regardless.

I’m not sure I believe that Peluse’s stuff is better than Roberts’ was at Wake, but I certainly love the sound of that regardless.

Yeah, getting ready to go on a Georgia radio station to talk Shuster and am thinking I'll say his changeup is the third-best pitch I've seen from a college pitcher. Griffin's slider was just ridiculous. And I saw Rodon a couple of times.

Yeah, getting ready to go on a Georgia radio station to talk Shuster and am thinking I'll say his changeup is the third-best pitch I've seen from a college pitcher. Griffin's slider was just ridiculous. And I saw Rodon a couple of times.

Shuster may be the better pro prospect, but I don’t think there’s ever been a changeup that exists that’s as filthy as this:

Back